Mixer vs. Sound card for Home studio

koala

Guys,

I have done fantastic progress since my last question and now, I am lacking of experience to make the wise choice... so, I count on you to help me...

I have 2 synthesizer keyboards and 1 sound module...
I also have one computer with a proper sequencer...
I have a midi cable running around this configuration...
And a SB Live! 5.1 sound card...

I would love to have all this equipment well set to record the sound coming out of the synthesizers and module.

Should I buy a mixer? or a sound card with a set of inputs?

Please HELP...

Koala

Option-1

All you need is a Good sound card with 8 inputs atleast ?

I dont think that SB Live is up to the mark for pro-recording. find a multi midi port like 4x4 or 8x8 (M-Audio, ESI)

Multi Input Sound card like (M-Audio Delta 1010, Motu 828 Mk II and many..)

If you put all your KB, Synths in to various inputs of the sound card..You shall be Ok..no need to fiddle around the wires..

Option-2

Buy a Mixer with min. 16 channels..Connect the auxilliary out to Sound card and main out to speakers/amp..

When you record mute the other channels or tweak the aux. channel's knob for the instrument so that the particular KB/synth only gets recorded..You will have to be little careful in this method..
---------------

You can choose either one option..but keep in mind to change your sound card..choice..EMU 0404 (Check Creative store at Jur. East) now on offer..

S$189 only...

If you're mainly concerned with recording your synths and sound module, then you can connect them directly to a sound card - preferably one with a breakout box.

If you also perform live, getting a mixer will be a better investment for live mixing purposes. If keyboards is all you're concerned with, don't need to get a mixer with too many channels, unless you need mic inputs.

Another option - since you seems to be a keyboard/ synth guy, perhaps consider selling everything and keeping one good keyboard and switch to software synths. You can build your computer(s) into 4U racks - cheaper on the long term (cheaper than getting keyboards). With great softsynths from Native Instruments and Spectrasonics, who need hardware sounds nowadays!

If you are using only synths.You can get a line mixer(budget-behringer) to save space and get the M-audio Audiophile 2496.

Or if you don't want a mixer.An Emu 1212M.

YOu can't use your creative card if you want to use soft synths.Latency can kill u.

Btw.You don't need a 16 channel mixer.Its overkill for more home studios.

ah... you need a multi-track recorder(MTR) software that can record audio. Something like Cakewalk's Home Studio or Sony Vegas.

Too expensive? No worries! There's always alternative, how about n-Track Studio, costing only US$49!!!

What you got to do is to playback each MIDI channel that triggers each instrument sound from your keyboard and record that onto a track in the multi-tracker software. Say channel 1 is your Bass, so you mute all other channel, select your best bass sound from your keyboard/module. Enable Record on the MTR and start your sequencer playback. Usually, there is some sort of synchronisation that you can enable so that the MTR can auto-play the sequencer. This sound will be recorded onto track 1 of the MTR.

You repeat with channel 2, maybe your piano sound. This sound is recorded on track 2.

Followed by all the other instruments.

Now, come to the exciting part! You see, in MIDI, we usually use just channel 10 to play all the drums sound. But if you want to do mixing like the pro, you got to split the individual drum onto seperate tracks. Depending on which sequencer software you are using, you should be able to 'filter' out all the Bass drum and put them on one track, snare on another and tom1, tom2, tom3 ... then you repeat the above procedure to record them onto the MTR.

wow, must be quite tired by now. If you music is 4 mins and you got like 10 instruments + 10 drums tracks. You would have to do this "tracking" 4mins x 20 = 80mins.

This is assuming that you are recording 1 track at a time because your soundcard has only 1 input.

If you get those soundcard with 8 inputs. You could record 8 tracks at one go! Saving you some time.

Saying so, actually you dont need a soundcard with 8 inputs! We all have those extra 80mins to spare. :lol:

When would you need a soundcard with 8 inputs?
When you need to record a live drummer playing. You can't expect him to just do the kick only for the whole song then the snare for the whole song and the hi-hat for the whole song .... know what i mean :wink:

Now, the purpose of the intended mixer could be for monitoring so that you can listen to your 2 keys +1 module at the same time.

Hmmm... only 1 midi cable? That means only 16 channels of midi. Since you have 3 sound source, maybe you should get a midi box so that you can control all your midi instrument. If 3 out means 16 channels x 3 = 48 channels. Example of MIDI box.

:?: What keyboard and sound module are you using?

Soft, you got it right all the way...

Lets be more precise...

The EQUIPMENT:
- Roland XP 80
- Korg SP 500
- Roland JV 880
- Celeron 1.7 / 20GB HD / 384MB RAM / SB Live! 5.1 / Sonar

The PROBLEM:
- the XP goes out on the monitors
- the JV goes out on the soundcard
- the SP goes out on headphones
- the computer goes out on TDK speakers and on the monitors

So, basically:
- playing from Sonar, i can play the XP and the JV, not the SP...
- recording from Sonar, i can record the JV, but have to change the wiring to record the XP and can not record the SP...

For mixing purpose, i separate all drums in different tracks; make two tracks with the main instrument to lower a bit the volume during the vocals, and separate each single intrument in separated tracks... then, recording is track per track individually to enable mixing once each sound track is normalized... then, final recording of minus one... then... separate recording of the voice... then... mixing the normalized minus one with the voice to get the prototype...

Where it hurts: wiring changes, connectivity of the SP, voice (my wife is beautiful... but bad voice...), and too much latency and low profile hardware for soft synths...

Present idea is to reduce connectivity mess... actually, Yamaha has a schema matching 100% what i feel i would love to achieve:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixer/a_mixer/mg_series/index.htm
Application Example / 1. Music Production

Everything goes through a mixer to the computer and computer out to the mixer for the monitors.

Now that you must all start feel home in my existing environment, what would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance,
Koala

Back