Low Actions(guitar)

angeldogleslie

Hey hi i got a guitar with extremely high action, i'm intending to lower it but how much can i lower it ? any height i feel comfortable with pressing ? wad are the disadvantages of low action?

Immediate actions adjustments are at the bridge positions. Either the saddle height for trem bridge or the bridge height for fixed bridge can be adjusted to fix some actions problem.

If that do not fix your high actions problem, you need a setup. At worst you need repairs done to your neck. There is quite a few places which have to paid attention to when fixing action problems.

Worst case you got a lemon guitar neck, which will never give you good action without plenty of fret buzz.

I can do general setup. But if you got problematic neck, I suggest you find my good friend at Guitar Connection (beside davis). If he can't fix your problem, then you have a lemon at hand.

Regards,
Mike
Mikemann Music Studio

low action can cause fret rattle especially when you pick hard. go as low as you can without the buzzing/ stop at the height which you are comfortable with.

fret rattle isn't the end of the world; Paul Gilbert's guitar buzzes like crazy but he likes it very low to help him accelerate... as long as the rattle doesn't come through the amp, you are game 8)

no lar the guitar my fren gave me (cus he dun even use it, somebody gave it to him as a present) rite bloody hard to press. The neck is thick (hope i could change it) strings so thick like acoustic guit, the action on the saddle it on max(i dunno why). yup i bought new strings and adjusted the intonations jus wanna ask how low can the action go. Just as long no buzz on the amp like wad subversion says ??

and when u bend the strings they dun fret out, you will be fine. Fret out meaning, when the action is very low, at some places, you cannot bend cuz the stings will hit the frets when u bend it.

-Beast

metallibeast said:
and when u bend the strings they dun fret out, you will be fine. Fret out meaning, when the action is very low, at some places, you cannot bend cuz the stings will hit the frets when u bend it.

-Beast

Heh heh, sorry couldn't help it but, aren't that's what the frets are there for... :)

just send it down to a shop for setup la. those kind which u can specify action n string tension. string tension plays a big part when playing de guitar too. just sent mine down to davis n de dude did a great job. :D

errrrrr davis .................... maybe not hahahaha i rather give it to the uncle at Guitar 77 hahaha he's my father's fren hahaha better rite hahayup passin it to him to adjust the action height yep

Back