Looking for new kboard gear for concert place/canu recomend?

lazius

Hi guyz,

My friend wants to get some new gear for his club and wishes to find out what you advisee or recommendations you guyz can give..

...basically needs something that is used for professional purposes for Live bands...it needs to impress the musician behind the instrument..seriously!...budget is not really the issue..

what do you recommend and why??

Thanks in advance for your help :)

What genre of music?

If he already has a band playing in the club, he better ask the keyboardist. Keyboards perference is very personal. Also depends on what the keyboardist is used to, and whether he can use his current patch settings in the new keyboard.

I think most of the music played will be rock and live genres....the bands will be changing ffrom week to week...

I know Yamaha and Roland have some good kboards just not sure which ones are recomendable at the professional level.

I think he wants it sooner. Just get the Korg OASYS!

But seriously, Korg M3 and Motif XS will be an overkill (so would be the OASYS!). Most of the live band keyboardists will not need those features. I doubt some of them even know how to use the features.

I don't even think a workstation is necessary since I don't think a sequencer will be used often in a live band, if at all. Digital pianos will not be sufficient to manipulate sounds like a synth. So, a synth is the bare minimal. But unfortunately, that will eliminate too many.

So it seems that we cannot escape the usual workstations. And since $ is not an issue, it will be standard: Roland Fantom, Korg Triton or Yamaha Motif. Make sure they are 88 keys. Most keyboardists will be familar with them and feel comfortable manipulating them to get the sounds they want. Anyway, for keyboardists who are particular about the sounds they want, they will probably bring their own sound modules.

If I have a choice, the Roland RD700SX will be the most flexible, even though it is a stage piano and not a synth. Will do most of the job fine. But that's my personal preference...

cheers guyz...am trying to understand all this...will look them on the net..any other suggestions? are you all agreeing to these suggestions or disagree?

In regards to personal sound modules, its gona be tough because the bands will be changing every fe weeks on a regular basis...and well..my friend cant keep buying new instruments...haha

...so yup you're right will need something more flexible..thank you for bringing that point up :)

No lazius, I don't mean getting modules. What I meant is getting one keyboard that fits most needs. If they keyboardists need their own sounds, they will usually bring their OWN modules. This is quite common for keyboardists who are particular about their own sounds. And they probably already did some programming in their modules as well.

That's how I did it during my gigging days. I would never trust whatever is given. I would always bring my module along. Then I'm assured that I get the sound I want. So don't worry. One keyboard is sufficient.

take actors bar for example they have a digital piano roland rd series and a arranger keyboard korg pa50

another bar at beach rd has a roland rd series and highend yamaha psr

Agreed MO8 is pretty much what you need at a good price. The triton extremes should be clearing to make way for the M3 too.

If you are just using the patches/sounds no need to break the bank for the very top workstation.

You probably don't want the very latest models, you want something keyboard players are familiar with. Look at a Yamaha Motif ES7 over a Kurzweil PC2x... it is what they have in four of the rooms at St James Power Station, and is a very, very common combination found on band's tech riders. A Korg Triton Extreme instead of the Motif would work as well.

Depreciate it over three years.

The ES7s and PC2x can be found cheaply new now as the newer models (Motif XS and PC3) are just out... but again you don't want latest model on stage or people will be unfamiliar with it. Music Plaza sells the Yamahas, City Music sells the Kurz and the Korg.

Where is the club? I'm always on the lookout for a decent live music venue.

Back