Local Ibanez Universe UV Owners

Ripper

Calling out to UV owners.

I am seeking advices to queries on UV models, particularly the older ones, eg. UV77MC, UV77LNG etc.

Hope owners can respond to this thread.

Many thanks.

What would you like to know bro? I'd be more than happy to answer any queries regarding UVs. I bought the first run of UV777BKs when they first came out, before that Sweelee did not stock them. The whole 7 string thing was only starting to take off at that point of time.

The guitar is now in the hands of Chanmin, so I'm sure he'd be able to chime in too. :)

hey ripper. there are too few 7 string wielders in singapore let alone the universe crowd. most of what we have are the newer models but i suppose this site would help. i was once into the stuff too but back to 6 strings again.

www.sevenstring.org/forum

wah.. haha... my luke.. *sob*

i just play the UV man.. i seriously dunno what mods etc... but the UV certainly plays and sounds better then any other 7 ive tried... Maybe the Korn K7 is as good.. or lose abit.

i dunno which UV u played subversion

post '99 UVBk777 ?

if u were playing one of those 5 piece neck UV + edge pro then maybe i would hav done the same..

but to compare an RG to the original UVs, i think my babes are in a whole different league :twisted:

uv

hey guyz!

well think i'm in the right place. Someone in Norway actually quoted my Uncle who works there his UV77MC, and my uncle actually ask me if I am interested. But my uncle dont know nothing about guitar! Which is precisely why I'm here seeking advice on things to look out for when transacting a guitar as old as well..some of us here :wink:

guess mr angelmozart is the person :)

btw, Norway seller quoted 2600usd.

what you guyz think?

ripper. tonnes of pple on www.sevenstring.org own universe guitars. the early ones as well and they come from all over the globe. who knows the person who is selling it might be a forum user there. i do recommend u try there. 2.6kUSD is no small sum.

yo penta,

u got experience hunting down a UV as well? i meant the olders one. good if you can share your experience up here!

haha nope. i dun really like ibanez to begin with and wouldnt even spend more than 1.5kSGD on any. if i had my way den prob would get an RG7 with better stock pickups and string through with a less skinny neck. sold off my rg1527 cos i really cant stand floyds and the flat neck didnt really do my hands any good.

reason y im recommending u sevenstring forums is there are pple there who have plenty of 7 string guitars or 7 string experiences. esp the mods there. there r too few pple over here to give u advice.

angelmozart said:

post '99 UVBk777 ?

i've played all the UV versions there are here- i'm not against them, they are downright good guitars. there's just something about the Vai-related guitars (JEM included) which don't do it for me. i'm not suggesting the RG7 is a real replacement for a UV, there's quite a marked difference between these 2, but it's the RGs that i prefer...

subversion said:
angelmozart said:

post '99 UVBk777 ?

i've played all the UV versions there are here- i'm not against them, they are downright good guitars. there's just something about the Vai-related guitars (JEM included) which don't do it for me. i'm not suggesting the RG7 is a real replacement for a UV, there's quite a marked difference between these 2, but it's the RGs that i prefer...

i know wat u're saying man. but thats exactly why i love the Universe. its doesnt scream VAI!! ( well.. not counting the UVMC ) like the jem.. i know Royhan has a very nice RG7 i would love to get my hands on so i know where yr preference is cumin from.. i'm half way through fittin all the UVs into my room, i'm sure i can make space for the RG7s after that :twisted:

If you're in the market for a MC 2.6k is a pretty good indication of the going market rate.

But bare in mind a couple of things bro...

I can almost say for sure that you won't get the same price for it, or something even close to that if you attempted to sell it locally! There's just not the same market here for jems/uvs as there is in US or in EU.

Several factors make the MC the most desireable of all UVs....first off there are relatively low production numbers as compared to regular UVs. You can check this all out at jemsite at the spec sheet section. But if you're gonna be paying top dollar for a MC make sure you find out the condition of the guitar, get the owner to send you high definition pictures of the guitar with closeups of the "problem" areas.

Also be aware that there were 2 runs of MCs, one run was swirled by Darren from ATD (same guy that did the GMCs, PMCs, DNAs), the ATD MCs have much brighter and more vibrant colours (think the same colour scheme found on the cover of PAW) than the second run of MCs which were swirled in Japan by a private contractor. The japanese MCs have a slightly different colourway.

For example the pink areas found in the ATD swirls are a very vibrant shade of pink, almost neon in fact. There are very tight swirls with almost no fading. The japanese ones are referred to the MKRs (mustard relish ketchup), the pink areas look almost and orangey red in colour.

Either way they are both very desireable guitars to own considering the backgrounds. But do be aware of the reasons why they are priced at a hige premium these days, which of course may have nothing to do with the quality and playability of the guitar itself...a very important thing to consider when buying something you've never tried before.

I came very close to getting a MC from the US almost 5 years ago, prices then were not as nuts as they are now, I was quoted US1.6k but decided against it when I found out it was a japanese swirl.

uv

dats quality info bro souljah..

i do know a bit about the atd and mkr swirl thing. you have just reinforce my knowledge (2 thumbs dude!). i kinda forget how to differentiate the two. i think there's a hot stamp/silkscreen either inside the back cavity or behind the headstock. well - bro mozart will know better of cos.

latest update - since my uncle will not be coming back very soon, this gave me problem, yup $$money problem, courtesy of bloody expensive shipping.

well, we will see as we walk down the road.

uv

yup. bloody royhan got a very much sought after RG2027 in vintage violin. probably the only one here. swee lee never brought in.

hey mozart, I know where he hangs out. maybe we can ambush him one day! :p

yo guitarplayer, you wanna have a look at the vintage violin? i update you on my ambush! 8)

Back