Local Drummers Conducting Clinics Charge Lower,Similar Higher Than Overseas Drummers

Hi my Drumming Brothers $ Sisters:-

This is a very important Topics, that suddendly came to my mind today. What is your own personal opinion on this as to:-

Does Local Professional Drummers conducting Drum Clinics or Masterclassess here within our home country here - need to Charge or Should I say (Better To Charge) a (1) Lower Fees Than Overseas Drummer eg say Will Kennedy or Thomas Lang, (2) Similar Fees As These US Professionals Drummers or (3) Can Also Charge a Fees Higher Than These Overseas Professional Drummers? - When providing the same service to the Local Drumming Community here in Singapore?

Let's Discuss and let us hear your Views On this matter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main reason why I have brought up this for discussion is because, we all realise that Drumming is indeed on it's way up at a pretty fast pace here in Singapore. The recent Singapore Drum Festival 2007, the vast amount of Drum Clinicians this year (here we would have to give the credit to Tan Boon of Singapore DrumFest), the amount of Drummers being endorse by Drum Companies(Distributors) here shows without doubt - Drumming is making it's way up here in our Garden City. So Singapore is also feature in the Larger Drumming Community within the World eg Modern Drummer Magazine, DrummerWorld etc......We are making a Mark.

Here within Soft, we have Soft's Drum Xchange Singapore (this comprises ALL OF YOU HERE not just the Committee- it's all of us Drummers in Singapore here at Soft) is also growing as a group as a closely knitted family of Drummers.

With the above, I realise the Topic that I've now put up becomes Crucial? Why So?

Let's ask ourselves this question taking all the above into consideration. We know that Drumming as a Whole here is moving up through all these activities, we become more Inspire because of all these Happenings starting this Year 2007 - Then How can we leverage Drumming and Drumming As A Profession here within our Own Country.

Does a Local Home-Grown Professional Drummer when conducting a Clinic or MasterClass charge a fees based on (1) (2) or (3) depicts - They are leveraging Drumming and bringing Drumming up to it's next level -

Lets ask ourselves here.

Does Local Professional Drummers when charging below Overseas Drummers Fees (on Clinics/MasterClass) shows - they are less competent in their drumming(is this motivating on or as a whole) or are they just as competent as some Overseas Clinician - if they are as competent - Then why charge less? Why not charge Similar Rate as that of Overseas Clinicians....to charge higher might be deemed to be (Above Market Rate which might be true - but then it depends here again).

What is sad here is that - If DES and the entire Drumming Community here in our country are moviing along the direction of pushing Drumming up here ( as above) for all the things and effort in 2007..........Local Professional Drummers conducting Clinics/MasterClass should also charge either (3) Similar Fees for their Clinics or (4) only a Very Slight Up or Down Fees when compared to Overseas Clinicians.

How Can Drumming In Singapore Move Up when our own Local Professionals are charging so-low a fees for Drum Clinics.......Of course (People will say - based on Market) - and the Market is none other than WE DRUMMERS.......In a way we have to bear some of the responsibilities here as we also dictates or influence the chargeable fees by these Home-Grown drummers...True?

So in order to move Drumming together as a Whole up here in Simgapore to bring it to it's next higher level - Drummers here must give utmost support to our very own Professional Drummers

Thinking back - Drum Lessons cost about S$120 to 140 per month divide it by 4. It's S$30 per hour or 45 minutes.....but Drum Clinics here by these very Professional Home Grown Drummers charges S$10 to S$15 per clinic or MasterClass for 3 Hours - I dont know how to work out the maths here...........

I will like to see Drum Clinics in Singapore charge by our Local Drummers increase their Fees instead of maintaining at this current low level(it's not justifiable).......and of course this takes our Support in understanding the entire situation. Look at the Larger Picture and effects on the entire Drumming Community here.

We all have a part to play here - if we are to help Drumming As a Whole, as a community grow and attain it's next level in Singapore (Singaporeans drummers are not cheapo drummers and they are good) ....... Ethics comes in many form and this to me is one of it - to understand the current situation and hopefully revise the fees up (though it's up to the Clinician himself) and a common and healthy understanding among all Drummers here with a willingness to pay fairly. It must be a Win-Win Situation.

PS: - - - - As a committe of DES, it is of my vested interest here and no offence to anyone here. This is just my own personal opinion and nothing to do with any Professional Drummers idea. It is mine soley for sure.

Local Clinicians Fees should not be based on Overseas Clinicians Fees Standard set as a Basis for comparison or Pre-requisite as to how much to charge here in Singapore and drummers in Singapore as a whole should understand this and give all our support to them.

Afterall Soft's Drum Xchange is really all about "Building A Healthy Drumming Culture Here In Singapore" - and this is really what DES is all about and we are proud of it.

Throw in your views on these - share with us your thinking, can argue over this constructively.

Last edited:
Personally I feel that about the fees, drummers should not be paid according to where they come from, but according to how good they are and their credentials. Just because a drummer is a local doesn't mean he's not good enough to be paid the same as Thomas Lang or Jojo Mayer, if he does have the level of competency needed.

Yup. I'd pay for quality, rather than where the drummer is from.

The problem is, many people out there won't be willing to pay a bit more for a drummer's masterclass if the drummer is not like 'well known'. Hence, the promotion and marketing of the drummer's profile and credentials plays a part in putting a price to his/her masterclasses too.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

I think the main reason why fees are higher for overseas drummers is that its costly to fly them in to Singapore for clinics and masterclasses, hence ticket prices must increase for the organisers to recoup their cost.

In my opinion, I think the 'novelty' effect of having an overseas drummer is greater than that of a local drummer who might be just as good. I mean, people would be more willing to pay to see someone from far away showcase their drumming rather than for a local, who they 'can see anytime' since he's based in Singapore.

I think that Singapore do have some talented drummers, people like Jimmy Lee, who can cut it at international level (as seen in SG drumfest). However, much more exposure to them is needed to increase their profile. It is through more events like drumfests, clinics, master classes, that the talents of our locals can be truly recognised and appreciated. We as drummers also need to give them our support and I'm sure in time, Singapore can produce some world beaters

Just an opinion, but i do think it's great that they charge lower - in a sense it is opening the community to those whose pockets aren't that big - especially those still schooling and all. While it may be true that perhaps their abilities are undermined, i think that they themselves would want to charge lower (as you mentioned before eric, in Tama Goh's case) because they want to contribute to the community.

In masterclass terms as well, it is a group of students, perhaps that is why the charge is lower as well.

I think its worth bringing overseas drummers here and paying a good price for it. Even if its a little pricey. They usually have heavy schedules and it would take something to bring them here. They not only put up clinics but also influence the drummers here with their culture and ultimately its going to benefit the scene.

I think if local drummers are good enough and can offer the same then they shld be paid the same price.

Last edited:
Back