LINE6: Pocket POD

subversion

pocketpod.jpg

LINE6: Pocket POD
List: $245
SALE: $170 (City Music: Till 31st Dec 2007)

In the digital domain, asking whether a device sounds convincingly analog for the purpose of justifying one’s parting with cash, is utmost blasphemy. The objective buyer would do well to accept the fact that the digital world & its analog contra-colony are truly different but serving the common objective- tone delivery. LINE6’s Pocket Pod (PP) is not a new product from the proverbial digital device manufacturer but a compacted offering of the infamous POD effects unit for the musician on the go. To many of us, the shrinking of any device for commercial propulsion is an outright compromise but is that so for this Pocket POD?

Build/ features
The Chinese PP is still the loveable red bean outline which got many of us hooked but the economy manifestation sees the display panel reduced in size & real time control restricted to 4 rotary knobs (Drive/ Effects/ Delay/ Channel Volume). These very knobs also have an alternate control feature which is accessible for EQ/ Reverb manipulations. For this to happen, the SAVE button needs to be used in conjunction with the mentioned knobs. In this light, the SAVE button serves as a trigger for alternate features of the 4-way (Nintendo style) patch navigation button as well. It also controls the noise gate function if pressed simultaneously with the TAP button- that’s how compact the controls are, dual/ shared functions are inevitable.

The belt clip inclusion here implies the PP’s suitability for live applications & rightfully so because with the 4XAAA batteries on board, this red meanie would put many mobile phones/ MP3 players to shame (weight-wise).

All in all, there are more than 300 presets offered by the PP of which 124 are user editable, these are mostly assigned to the USER patch. Should one wish to edit a BAND patch preset & save it as one’s own, for instance, the PP would transport it to the USER slot & keep it in memory there. Do note that the effects on offer (Delay/ Chorus/ Tremolo/ Compressor/ Flange/ etc) can only be used in solitary activation, combination applications (e.g.: Delay + Chorus) are available for selected effects type only. For the computer buff, the PP includes a USB outlet, this access allows the editing via the use of the Vyzex editor (download required from the manufacturer’s homepage).

Rating: 85%

In use/ tone
Stop wondering, there are no immaculate analog type tones to be had from the PP. What the LINE6 team has to offer here is the degree of being less synthetic & more pleasurable in output terms, be it from the amplifier or headphones. In summary, the availability of impressive amp emulations, when coupled with the suitable modulation effects, can make the tone sound huge. The PP also has impressive pickup manifestations; one can hear the fine differences between the various pickup types/ positions. Nevertheless, some default settings are excessive in certain frequencies, in use with the pickup types- easily tweakable, of course.The PP isn’t second to its other regular sized POD siblings in terms of tone.

This reviewer is particularly impressed with the device’s noise gate function which quells drive-induced hissing so effectively. This is particularly so even with an added drive booster in the PP’s chain.

Due to the PP’s diminutive nature, its lightweight physique is its greatest concern as it becomes tug prone. Should you choose to make it your table-top resident, please ensure some security in terms of movements.

Tone test equipment:
Guitars: Ibanez SA2020/ Ibanez RG321/ Fender Highway1 Strat/ Edwards ELP85/ SD-P
Amps: Sound Drive SG612R/ Epiphone Valve Jr/ CRATE 4x12 cab (Celestion drivers)/ Panasonic RT series headphones.
Effects: Ibanez TS7/ MXR GTO Overdrive (both used as drive boosters)

Rating: 88%

Last say
How applicable is the PP as a member of your pedal board? This question can only be rightfully addressed if the PP was conceived to be a foot-activated pedal to begin with. If you travel or choose to pen your hits outdoors, the PP is an inspiring tool for your employment. With much editing & playing, it would last slightly more than 2 hours running on alkaline batteries. There is an adaptor option but this would defeat the PP’s role as a mobile companion. While the PP lacks detailed appointments to make it a comprehensive recording input, as a practice tool (especially so for silent, nocturnal guitar madness) it is a highly effective & inspiring; highly recommended.

Overall rating: 88%

Product availability:
• City Music
• Ebenex

• Easy to use (despite being fiddly initially)
• Quality emulation
• Very effective noise gate feature

Dislikes:
• Light-weight (tug prone)
• Belt clip obstructs battery access cover

Worthy competitors:
• KORG PX4D/ Ampworks
• ZOOM G1
• Digitech RP50

hey umm just wanna get some advise from anyone..

i really had enough of carrying heavy gears to my friend's place and studio... i just regretted buy heavy equipments..
so obvious enough.. my question is..is this ultra small effector really worth paying almost 200 for?

i just need something really small and portable..and of course tone wise must be good..i tested at city music..not too bad.but just afraid over time i might regret..hahaha.

i'm very concern about tone..i'm paying like $200 and its so small..so i dun expect it to be really powerful and can do wonders..but at least it is presentable right sub? since u played with it too..i dun really care whether is it digital or analog one..sounds good can liao.. and i mean really good lah..

i never used any hand held effector before leh.. so i scared i drop and it will turn into lego.
i drop my $30 korg tuner like 50 times already and its still working very well..

i'm considering either this pocket pod..or the zoom G1k, the kiko signature series..which cost $100 lesser..but i dun mind paying more for "more things to play with"..and its so much freaking smaller!
i still got problem telling the tone from effectors leh...all multi sounds the same..its just the preamp module they offer are different, thats y u cannot find a exact same sound in different effector.

so what do u all think? what do i need exactly?

Last edited:
please be advised that the Pocket POD isn't foot-friendly, you really need your fingers for it...

tone-wise, if you appreciate good tones regardless of which type of technology it's operating on, the Pocket POD gets my thumbs up.

umm..haha..guess i'll have to do more research and consideration before really buying it..
the sale is over..but maybe not 245 so high..maybe 200 plus/minus..

oh man..this unit have flanger which i dun wan...i need phaser and auto wah...haaiii...

oh ya..didnt think of that korg effector..never hear and play before leh..will try it out soon..hope it gives good tone..cost slightly more than the pocket pod ah..haha..

i'm very impressed with the auto wah/ voice wah effect of the PX4D. it also has a synth module in there which is for bass but equally whacky for guitars.

On the vyzex pocket pod program, what is the 'air' function all about? no matter what i tweak, i can't seem to detect any difference o_O

Back