Lets talk about the support for local bands

The set up for HeartRock was sweet. The sound crew were the most professional I've seen in a long while, kudos to that. The locations were fine, after all, it is called HeartRock not CityRock :roll:

In reply to veganbleu, you spoke about how you'd much rather download the songs off their site right? But how would you even know about the bands in the first place? I'm speaking from the point of view of an average Singaporean. A good example would be emo music. Granted there was already a sizable emo fan base here, but when bands like Jimmy Eat World started getting played on the radio, emo music suddenly became the "in" thing to listen to and more and more emo bands got on the radio. In the same way, radio stations playing local music is the best form of advertisement. If listeners like the music, naturally they would want to find out more of the band. Internet radio is for ther more informed, yes, but less accessible. On another note, is it any coincidence that local music is now at an all-time low with the disapperance of radio air-time, as opposed to the active scene when deejays like Paul Zach were actively promoting local music? I don't mean any offense whatsoever, but its been shown that free gigs don't exactly work to promote local music. Even the crowd at the Singapore Street Festival, held in the middle of busy Orchard, were mainly friends or other bands. Most people just walk away quickly with fingers in their ears. I feel strongly that unless local music gets on the radio again, it will be a tough road again for us all.

EMOT loves you

Thanks for the kind words bulu, if you wanna know more about our upcoming gigs you can actually check up this website http://platformd.cjb.net or join us on our mailing list, just send an email to biddy@singnet.com.sg under the subject "EMOT mailing list". We have a few gigs coming up so do catch us.8O

Rock On

Eugene's Moment of Truth

No offense at all avon. I'm all for radio air play, but just waiting for them to start is not a solution and lamenting that fact doesn't help. Is local music actually in the doldrums? Personally i don't think so. There are more jamming studios, more gigs than ever before. If we're looking at dollars spent now, it's way much higher than the 80s and 90s. And now with the older bands actually shifting into the workforce, you're getting people with money who want to spend it on making an album that's good, not just some 2 take rubbish with crap sound. Plus with the internet and the many thousands of bands out there in the world, everyone is getting exposed to improve themselves and see what is lacking. Take for example the observatory. They've got cash and they're willing to use it. Whatever they do costs money. The free gigs might not necessarily look like much, but trust me the dividends will pay off later down the road, with better musicians and another platform for the next generation to better. So the question comes to how to efficiently use the funds.

On another aspect, if the music is bad, no amount of airplay will get converts. The only way to gain a critical mass is from a grassroots level. Once the musicians improve to a level that attracts enough attention, we'll have attained another level in what is essentially a never ending progression.

The comparisons with overseas clubs/gigs are seldom fair. Most of it is just down to culture. Go to estonia, and you'll have people asking why there aren't more gigs. Noone can effect a cultural change overnight. It's the exposure and what everyone takes from the experience that will move the cultural environment.

So where did i hear jimmy eat world? On john peel. He can play some god awful crap, but they had some good tunes.

Back