Lets talk about the support for local bands

cryingstatue

hey people i just came back from a public gig and was through;y disppointed with the show of support...so just wanna hear your comments about the above topic... be blunt!

support? what support? :lol:

guess it just boils down to whether your band is good or not, how long they have been around, and how well their gig is advertised and promoted.

lol...yep...you DO need plenty of exposure to garner support of any kind...and you need to be quite commercial to get the 'fan base'...and from what I can see...not many Singaporean bands want to go commercial...

But yeah...I think that once there's hype generated it should be no problem...

Muackz to all...

Tammi

no offense to any particular group or anything.

But I feel many local bands are full of themselves, and many can't even be half as good as they claim to be.

Commercial sense aside, many bands juz can't make it.... they think they're good....their friends think they're good.....but are they??

Being original is cool, unique is cool...but the basic music and showmanship is also important. Many successful bands worked many many long hard years in the pub scenes, small school gigs, events, conventions....before finally making it big...(that makes every successful band around.....well...almost)

So...give me a seasoned band working the pubs every fridays and the greatest "next best thing" on stage at some CC...I'll pick the house band in the pub anyday.

**I'm juz being honest...neither do I claim to be able to "make it" either. I'm really a big fan of local bands too.....concave scream....observatory... for a moment...bored phucks...etc**

Agreed. The reason why Singapore doesn't have even a few bands making it big isn't only because there isn't enough exposure. That's probably only an excuse.

And honestly, I can't imagine Singaporeans jumping around headbanging and cheering for local bands.

Just my opinion.

singapore hasn't developed a culture of music yet. in the USA loads of people go to a neighbourhood BATTLE OF the BANDs or even a small gig at a club. but singaporeans haven't developed the tradition of going to watch gigs when you're free. let's face it. how many local gigs have you attended this year? 5 or 6 at the most? maybe not even once. so there's about average 50 people a gig at the most. of the 50 people 25 are part of the 5-band bill. 15 are freinds of bands. that leaves us with 10 people. 5 relatives of band members. 5 people actually just going there to watch. who of the 5 will come out saying, LOCAL MUSIC ROCKS!!!! none. boo hoo, local support sucks. look at the s-league. let's bitch about the local support. it sucks big time.

You mean you ppl actually thought there was hope in the local music scene? You must be dreaming. You can only make it big here if you make it big in other countries. Than ppl will notice you. Don't waste your time and effort in promoting your band locally. Put your money overseas or in the bank.

colarndo is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. who the hell would want to promote their music here? there's no support. you might as well just become the 3,999,999 other normal loser unsupporting people that we have in this great land.

I am worried about the myopic views of the local musicians.

Go ahead and blame the local music culture, blame the organisers, blame the mindset of people....blame...blame...blame...

Look when 5566 came here, the streets were packed...britney...(I think commercial pop sux, but its still music! and some are nice) hey damn! Prince... Rolling Stones... Deep Purple all had good showing. Glay...Beyond.. Mayday...power station...

But local bands? WELL.... what turns us off here?? The word "local"?? I'm sure people here arn't shallow. There are good showings at the local jazz pub gigs, by well established jazz artists.

It all boils down to passion, both music lovers and musicians. To be musicians, u gotta love the music first. You want good support? Go practice real hard... if the music is good, support will come (that's where all ur publicity comes in)

Publicity is also very important. If u're any good, u'll want people to know you. Play at gigs, play at pubs, play to right people, play at the TV station...know friends...etc (element of LUCK involved too)

All of us must remember, we don't support the band for the sake of the band. We support the band coz we support the music, YOUR music.

I'm willing to go to all ur gigs, buy all ur CDs. But are you prepared to quit ur school, quit ur job, and go study music/perform/record full time?

No offence to all but most of our music is imported. Unfortunately,pop cheap as it may be, is still popular among young adults and teens. So far, our homegrown singers only made it big in Mandrin. Perhaps Mandrin aka Chinese is the way to go? The rare few places that sells local albums is our dear Wake Me Up Music. Probably HMV won't take any local bands' ablum in unless you have some strings to pull.

the problem here is that the bands here are being too underground, disconnected with the mainstream. Most of u guys will be playing old guns n roses and metallica stuff in a society that listens mostly to linkin park and simple plan. Not only do they have to be good musicians, they have to be good businessman as well. They need to be aware of the current trend, heavy metal and grunge is long dead, as much as i dislike nu metal , they should try to adopt a style, similar to the current trend to make big.

Not that bands have to be sellouts to enter the mainstream, but they'll have to tone down the lyrics and the 2 minute guitar solos kinda stuff.

The government could use a 4 local songs per hour policy on local radio stations, its been proven to be quite effective in the philliphines. It will allow bands to enter mainstream instead of being forever stuck in the underground scene

Agreed! Music must be good plus must know how to push the music to the masses.

Although I don't 100% agree about changing ur music style to suit the "fad", but u got to at least play good music. Like Radiohead, The darkness, JET...etc ...they don't play EMO or NU metal..and they rock! Bands like Aerosmith..rolling stones...GnR...are all time classics... plus Sum41 has a good mix b/w old skol rock n modern punk..

Got to tone down that ego-trip guitar or bass solo...etc... save them for enchores (if any).. take a tip from Mr. Big, a melodic 10s solo that fits the song is 100x better than a 5 min shredding mass of notes...

I agree that local media and the local music industry should try to push the music more but i DON'T agree about the mandatory 4 hour slots. Its so communist!!! just when we're given more freedom and stuff, you want the government to protect and nanny us more? I don't think the idea of protectionism will work much here in singapore. Especially if u are given 4 hours to play mediocre work... maybe 3 to 4 bands out of 100 is good...so are we going to play the 3 to 4 bands over and over again over 4 hours?

:)

i'm sorry. but i'm gonna have to disagree with you guys. sure it MIGHT put singapore music in the mainstream. but only in the mainstream. it's not like it's good music. the reason why linkin park, or korn got big is because they were different. think back to year 2000, the big artistes were britney spears, nsync and backstreet boys. but suddenly this metal band like linkin park pops up and everyone loves it! same as NIRVANA, they stuck out like a sore thumb with their grunge in 1991 when the charts were ruled by Michael Jackson and GnR. so instead of following the pathetic trends, people should do what they do and wait for a break.

however i agree you do have to sellout a bit cause music is business, if you don't sell you don't get. but you don't sell your influences and what your style is. nu-metal is dying, look at it, it sucks. it's time for change, local bands should realize it. i dunno what's next, just follow your style.

Just as they were nu metal bands before linkin park, there were grunge
linkin park existed for a about a decade it emerged out of the nu metal revolution. Nu metal was already mainstream even before linkin park entered the scene
however
nirvana emerge out of the seattle music scene,but they brought the entire grunge genre in to the mainstream.

right now our local music scene was like the underground grunge scene in seattle
we need a "nirvana" miracle to bring local music into the mainstream, not the "linkin park " kind of scenario.

yes i agree that nu metal is dying
judging from the ibx thingy, there are many nu metal bands thats giving nu metal a bad name.
I would suggest bands incorporating some oriental influences/local cultures in to their music, something like the boredphucks if u wanna try something new, if not stick to the trend and u wont go wrong.

Maybe if we wrote songs about making babies than the gov will take notice of it. They don't really care abt the local music scene more than the arts.

hmm.

hmm well so wat you guys think anyway about the music scene now compared to say five years ago? has it improved? or just went down down down?

dreampolice is right. all we need is one local and to make it big and everyone will be noticed.it's like seattle. nirvana leading to the success of pearl jam soundgarden etc.

Wwell i don't know about 5 years ago, i never even touched a guitar at that time...

But i don't really think one band making it big will bring attention to other local bands. Not really. Everyone would probably focus their attention on that band, other bands will try to follow that style... but who knows, i may be wrong.

Most Singaporeans just don't have the time and dedication to stay in a band and spend time and money trying to publicise themselves, and at the same time try to make music.

Why sit here and wait for some miracle instead of making one?

Back