Lemon oil and maintenance

ictaros

Hi all

Anyone knows the location to purchase a bottle of lemon oil for conditioning the fretboard?

I've journeyed to 3 Homefix DIY departments (IMM, Queensway, Plaza Sing) and 1 Self-Fix DIY store(Jurong Point). None of them have it in stock. All they have left is the spray can version. Several NTUCs/ Giant visits didn't bring me any luck too.

Save me from the incessant travelling.

Thanks.

lemon oil? luther. davis. yeah maestro got also. OH the erm..

music theme. the shop opp luther.

ictaros said:
Hi all

Anyone knows the location to purchase a bottle of lemon oil for conditioning the fretboard?

I've journeyed to 3 Homefix DIY departments (IMM, Queensway, Plaza Sing) and 1 Self-Fix DIY store(Jurong Point). None of them have it in stock. All they have left is the spray can version. Several NTUCs/ Giant visits didn't bring me any luck too.

Thanks.

i've tried many lemon oil brands, i very much prefer the Dunlop version as it's quick drying (upon application) & longer lasting... more importantly, it acts as an effective cleaner of dirt & grime 8)

Fretboard-65.jpg

I just bought it yesterday and tried using it... Actually how should I use it? How much should I apply on the fretboard and do I use a dry cloth to wipe away to oil?

One question. Once the lemon oil dried up. Will the fretboard gets sticky if you sweat a lot while practising.

subversion said:
ictaros said:
Hi all

Thanks.

i've tried many lemon oil brands, i very much prefer the Dunlop version as it's quick drying (upon application) & longer lasting... more importantly, it acts as an effective cleaner of dirt & grime 8)

Fretboard-65.jpg

SpaTanS said:
can i use this for the BACK of the fretboard as well ?? thumb movement smoother, yeah ? :oops:

The back of the fingerboard is glued onto the neck :mrgreen: Use a polish on the back of the neck instead, if it's a satin finish and u're a little bolder, u can lightly rub it down with 00000 grade steel wool.

fretless6: yeah, i think he meant the neck's rear as oppossed to the fretboard's rear...

once the lemon oil dries up, there isn't suppossed to be a sticky feeling. thusfar, i haven't come across any lemon oil brand (for guitars), which leaves a sticky residue.

the Dunlop Deep Conditioner is used to moisturize your fretboard once it gets dried up. how do you know it dried up? the pores would acquire a lighter colour than the rest of the fretboard (also known as fingerboard to others), very similar to the colour of unfinished wood.
Dunlop02.gif

erm...then what about the dunlop 01 fingerboard cleaner?

so do i use the lemon oil or the 01 fingerboard to clean my fretboard? let's say i've not done any maintaince to my fretboard for the past 1+ year

425271.jpg

the 01 fluid is strictly a fretboard cleaner. if your fretboard is merely dirty but not dry, using the 01 alone is sufficient. however, the 01 fluid has a drying effect as it is alcohol based to help dislodge the dirt/ grime on your fretboard. this is the reason why Dunlop recommends you to use the 02 as a supplement after you apply the 01 to clean your fretboard. this is also the reason why the 01 & 02 are available in a single package in the stores.

if you purchase the fingerboard kit depicted above, included in the package is a polish cloth that'll keep your frets shiny as well...

May I know how much does that cost? And where can i find them... Cos' most of the time I only see bottles sold and not in a package...

can i use the 01 and 02 for the metal frets as well? just apply over it?
hmmm....so after using that pack.
do i still need the lemon oil?

bascially what's the difference between lemon oil and that cleaner pack?

i saw the dunlop package at davis.

Back