(jazz theory) major/minor 9th chords

pianomankris

OK before learning the major/minor 9th chords you need to understand how to play the basic 'add 9' chords.

an 'add' chord is simply a note added to a basic chord structure. add 9 = 9th note of the scale added to the basic chord.

So, a major add 9 would be 1 3 5 9

The 9th is actually the same note as the second (e.g. in C, the note D), but it is called the 9th, as the chord is expressed relative to the root (i.e. the bass note). The 9th is therefore an octave plus one above the root.

As an aside, the reason on music when something is to be played an octave higher is written as '8va', is that this is Italian shorthand for 'Ottava'. Ottava means 'octave' - coming from the Latin prefix 'oct', which means eight (octopus, octagon, etc etc). An octave is eight notes in a diatonic major scale. So, the actual prefix 'otta' has been swapped for the actual numerical value of '8' (hence '8va').

Voicings of the add 9

-normally voiced two ways -

LH = R 5 , RH = add9 shape.

To play the add 9 shape in the RH, what you do is take the basic major shape (1 3 5), but move the thumb note up a tone e.g. in C the thumb would be on the note D.

so, the notes of the above chord as a Cadd9 would be:

LH = C G , RH = D E G

The RH in this form is usually fingered 1 2 4

This voicing is classed as the closed voicing.

OK the second voicing is as follows (the open voicing):

LH = R 5 , RH = 1st inversion add9 shape

For the RH, take the basic major chord, and turn it into a 1st inversion e.g. if playing C major, rearrange the notes so that you are beginning on the E. You will be playing E G C (PS 1st inversions are fingered 1 2 5). When you have done this, move the highest RH note up a tone (in this instance, to D).

So, the notes of this chord would be:

LH = C G , RH = E G D

For minor add9 chords the theory/chord structure is the same, only you would play a minor instead of a major e.g. if on C, think C Eb G instead of C E G.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS this needs to be understood inside out before we actually learn the minor 9th chords. 'see' the chord as the basic major first before thinking in terms of add9 when practising the above chords.

I'd suggest learning every major and minor chord as root position, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion (in the RH, I mean).

In strict classical terms, an inversion means to change the bass note, but in jazz terms, 'inversion' is often used to indicate a rearrangement of the chord in the RH.

OK - for basic major and minor - fingering =

root position = 1 3 5
1st inversion = 1 2 5
2nd inversion = 1 3 5

(root pos. C = C E G; 1st inversion C = E G C; 2nd inversion C = G C E)

Last edited:
OK now for the actual major/minor 9th voicings:

for major 9 voicings, play LH as R 7, and play the RH as for the add9 voicings.

So, a Cmajor 9 (closed voicing) would be voiced as LH = C B , RH = D E G

or for the open voicing: LH = C B , RH = E G D

For minor 9 voicings, play LH as R b7, and RH as for the minor add 9 voicings.

So, Cm9 (closed voicing) would be voiced as LH = C Bb , RH = D Eb G

and the open voicing: LH = C Bb , RH = Eb G D

PS there are numerous ways to play this chord, and numerous ways of thinking about it. But get used to this way first. These voicings are considered the 'standard' jazz voicings of the chord.

Closed/open voicings of this chord are commonly played as upper/lower voicings e.g. both are used in any register. However, be tasteful when using the closed voicing in the low register of the piano, as it can clash pretty easily. I personally find that when I get down to about Em9/Ebm9/Dm9, the closed voicing starts to sound a little too dull.

Once again, practise both voicings through the cycle of fourths, and the cycle of fifths.

Last edited:
PS I completely forgot about the dominant 9 voicings lol.

for dominant 9 voicings, play LH as R b7, and play the RH as for the add9 voicings.

So, a C9 (closed voicing) would be voiced as LH = C Bb , RH = D E G

or for the open voicing: LH = C Bb , RH = E G D

(the dominant 9 voicings are simply major in the RH, with what you would play for minor (i.e. R b7) in the LH)

There is another very specific jazz voicing of the dominant 9, but it is more complex, so i'll cover it at a later date.

Uses

OK we need to learn how to use these chords.

The major 9 voicings can be substituted for the I and IV chords (i.e. in the key of C we can play C major 9 instead of C, and F major 9 instead of F)

The minor 9 voicings can be substituted for the ii and vi chords (i.e. in the key of C we can play Dm9 instead of Dm, and Am9 instead of Am)

The dominant 9 voicing can be substituted for the V chord (i.e. in the key of C we can play C9 instead of G(7))

That's about it for 9th chords for now. Like I said, there are some other voicings, but we'll go back to those. They are more difficult to 'see' in the mind, so, once again, best to get these voicings first.

PS does anyone know of any hosting site or the such that allows you to upload music files? If so, i'll record the chords to let the people here know exactly what they sound like. I'll put sound examples up of the chords, and the chords in popular usage.

Cheers

Kris

I just use Youtube. Everyone knows it, no need for viewer to register, added benefit of them being able to see what you are doing. :)

Back