Jazz...learnt or talent?

teochm

Hey all, just wondering if jazz is a learnt skill or is it a natural ability? Keen to learn. What should i do? Listen to more jazz music etc? I kindda pick up stuff by listening...hehe. Anyone? two cents?

Well, learn jazz the same way you learn other music.

Jazz might be more complicated in that its so much more open-ended and free... but really... Its just another genre of music, don't be intimidated by it; its really because you are not used to jazz.

hmm, kk, thats comforting. any good artistes out there to start out with? those more instrumental unlike rod steward's albums??

ShredCow said:
Well, learn jazz the same way you learn other music.

Jazz might be more complicated in that its so much more open-ended and free... but really... Its just another genre of music, don't be intimidated by it; its really because you are not used to jazz.

yeah jazz is freedom.

I'd say most rockers are terrified of jazz cause it requires a greater, or actual musical theory knowledge.
Most guitarists are self taught (very much like myself), so anything theory is totally against the grain.

I guess i was just more bored to bother to buy books and take jazz piano lessons~~ :D

Hmmm... I'll say this, theory is a good thing.

Until you use theory to compose or the sole method of expressing yourself; like in solos.

It might be scary but hell, its WORTH every effort. Unless you don't mean to be very serious in your musical career. ;)

Of course, you can argue that some guitar greats out there don't know theory but well, how many are there?!

Again, theory is good. Never hurts. :)

its always encouraging to learn new styles of music. but jazz is not for the faint hearted. the jazz spectrum is so large that most jazz newbies dont know where to begin

i would suggest first listening to loads of jazz and attune your ear to the music. heres some recommendations to start off thats not too heavy:

wes montgomery (the incredible jazz guitar of wes montgomery)
pat methany (any album)
joe pass (virtuoso)
john mclaughlin, al dimeola, paco de lucia (FRIDAY NIGHT IN SAN FRAN IS AMAZING.. makes your wanna give up electric and pick up the acoustic haha)

of coz, dont limit yourself to just guitar players...
miles, coltrane, parker, monk..

anyway.. heres a rough breakdown of the types of jazz around:

SWING
BEBOP, HARD BOP
MODAL JAZZ
FREE JAZZ
FUSION

i suggest listen to any of the above except for FREE JAZZ as it can be tiring at times.... i am no super hotshot jazz guitar player.. also still learning and it can be daunting and tiring at times.. but stick to it and you will find it a rewarding experience..

if you're into mood music~~

I'd suggest oscar peterson.

O.P has this really aggresive piano style and his band members are never short of jaw dropping~~

Jazz itself has a wide range of genres within itself. Best way is to explore listening to different types of jazz music. Then probably take up some music lessons to experience the feel of jazz music. :wink:

teaching

anybody with good theory..can teach us some jazz?? heheheh i wanna learn too.. well somebody can open jazz lesson or sumthing??

Re: teaching

mekz said:
anybody with good theory..can teach us some jazz?? heheheh i wanna learn too.. well somebody can open jazz lesson or sumthing??

This isn't feasible... the scope of jazz is huge... the scope of theory is huge!!! Imagine posting on chord substitution and you WILL get a 101 replies.. how to continue?

Best way to learn jazz... is to start from scratch esp if you don't know theory. Go listen, go read, go play. From jazz chords to jazz licks to jazz solos. Of course, with a healthy focus on theory.

what IS with the emphasis on theory??? many of the blues and jazz greats are un-schooled. it is a misconception that u must have some theory of music to play jazz.

IMO EVERYONE starts from scratch when it comes to learning jazz. whether u know theory or not. theory gives u a small advantage in that perhaps u'll understand better what the instructional books and clinicians are talking about, but ultimately it's your own feel and creativity that establishes you as a jazz player.

relying largely on theoretical knowledge and overemphasis on the technical aspect is the highway to frustration and disaster.

Finally someone has mentioned the painful truth. Improv is not about knowing fancy sounding scales and chord substitutions. Theory is only useful when you can hear what is written. There's no point talking about chord substitutions when you have difficulty hearing chord tones. Most theory talk is coffee shop banter and many who talk about modes, diminished lines, altered dominant etc are basically geeks who will never survive a jam session with a bunch of 'un-schooled' pros.

What is unschooled anyway? If you can groove, play tasteful chords and have development in your solo, who cares if there's theory or not. Similarly, when you write or speak, you don't have to justify yourself grammatically. Knowledge of grammer is not essential in beautiful writing the same way music theory is to jazz or other styles of contemporary music.

Latest posts

Back