Jap vs Mex Fenders

Mex or Jap Fenders?

• Total voters

MidnightFender

If given a choice between Jap and Mex Strat or Tele, which one would you choose and why?

This is to facilitate me on my next purchase. Thanks bro...

I'll personally go for the Jap units because of the quality of the instruments they produce now. :D

yep, agreed. Also, the fugigen factory will be halting production..might be a good idea to get jap fenders before they are made in maybe korea, even though the workmanship there is getting better..

hey if u wan damn gd jap units can go to guitar77 to get. dennis is bringing in quite a bit. theres one lovely red strat there. didnt get the chance to try it but it sure looks hella good. i tried a black one previously. sounded damn raw n nice. well. i feel both mex n jap units r good. but somehow de jap ones r more eye candy. :twisted:

yeah, somehow the "made in japan" tag just feels more appealing..dunno why hehe...there's also a red jap tele in luther...and a thinline in guitar connection..all i see but never touch :)

'Mex Fenders are the lousiest in the fender range'- this is what our fathers before us would say but because we're not privy to such an era, we'd do well to check out today's mex offerings & decide for ourselves. i'd say that some mex models are superb & absolutely value for money instruments. a good start would be to check out the Classic series (re-issue 50s/ 60s/ 70s models), as these are fantastic instruments in terms of construction & tone.

'Jap fenders are definitely better than mex'- a snob statement which carries questionable value. after Y2K, wood-wise, mex fenders are alder, this is an applaudable move as it keeps to the true tone of Fender. not all jap fenders are alder, some are basswood but do not dismiss basswood just yet (many would equate basswood with junk), it might appeal to you instead of alder.

keep your options open because between the mex & jap price brackets are the american Highway1 models which are very under-rated here. why? because people here go for looks & specualtive quality, which the H1 models fell victim to.

sorry i didn't vote but i hope this opinion helps... 8)

Well I agree Mexi Teles are nice. The construction, sound and solidness will definitely keep most people happy. In fact I find Mexis pretty pricey, so I reckon quality has improved. However, Mexis do lack something: detail, this is something USA and Jap Fenders still do better. But its really a marketing strategy IMO, the Mexicans are capable of doing better than that. And on some samples, finishing isnt perfect but definitely within acceptable boundaries.

the market here has a preference for details, no doubt. any detection of cosmetic deficiency, the jury would pass a death sentence, often omitting other blessings, namely tone. but when it comes to the Fender name, looks tend to over-ride other importance... maybe this concern made the Classic series mex & H1 models a pariah.

I havent tried the H1 but the Muddy Waters, 72 Custom RI and , and 50s classic definitely pass my criteria of a great guitar tone wise. Its just the lack of detail and neck coating (some kind of poly rather than nitro) really.

Back