increasing of vocal range

cammi200

I have a problem with my vocal range... i think its too low. :( I can't sing a lot of songs by female singers in my normal voice unless i use my falsetto... so when i want to sing rock, i sound... fugly... help?

What are you singing to? A minus-one track? Are you able to bring down the key to suit your singing?

I have the same problem too! I want to increase my singing range. I really look forward to the replies here. Thanks for bring up the matter. ;D

There's quite a few schools of thought on how to sing higher notes. There is "belting", there is "bridging", then there's a lot of variations of those.

I recommend speech level singing, as that works for me. The basic idea is that you keep your larynx stable throughout your entire range, and your vocal cords connected (ie not going into falsetto). It gives you a range of 2 octaves + (the location of the range depends on your voice type).

I'm gonna tell you the cheapest way. And i've been saying this over and over to people who want to 'extend' their range.

Its not about hitting the notes. Its about suiting the song to your normal range. Face it. If you want your voice to hit notes like Celine or Mariah, you'll burst your vocal chords open with guts everywhere. Its just not possible. Unless you spend lots and lots of money, and we know how stingy Singaporeans are, especially with the recession and everything. So here it is:

If you have a Karaoke or play it on a guitar/piano, change the key. Its that simple. Experiment the song with the different keys. Hell yeah it'll be tough, i promise you. But only at first. Here are some steps for a guitar. You'll need a capo:

1) Try the song out on its original key.
2) Capo 5 and play the song. Try and sing. Its ok if you have to sing an octave lower.
3) Try capo 4, 3, 2 and 1. Everytime you change, sing Baa Baa Black Sheep. This makes your ears and brain forget the previous key so you can start on a fresh key. Or Macarena, or Crazy in Love or Living La Vida Loca or anything la.
4) Try the capo levels till max of Capo 7. Cos Capo 8 is just an octave higher, so no point.

Hope that helps.

Someone sticky this post.

Haha... the prob is when i lower the key, the low notes get too low to be reached...

used to take vocal lessons and the teacher always commented that i always tighten too much for my high notes which causes the inability to go up high... :X

Cammi, can you post a link to a recording of yourself singing? Then we can give much better feedback about why you're not getting those high notes. The tightening could be the back of your tongue pressing down (feel under your chin for this), or could be your larynx rising (feel for tension outside your throat for this). Your jaw also needs to be loose enough to fall down and back a little in order to pass over a particular "crisis point" in your range.

Haha... the prob is when i lower the key, the low notes get too low to be reached...

used to take vocal lessons and the teacher always commented that i always tighten too much for my high notes which causes the inability to go up high... :X

Dude. Key goes lower, doesn't mean you have to sing lower.

Name one song that you're comfortable with. With your singing recording. Then i'll show you what i mean.

Dude. Key goes lower, doesn't mean you have to sing lower.

Name one song that you're comfortable with. With your singing recording. Then i'll show you what i mean.

But if the high notes are the problem, she needs to sing in a key that makes all the notes lower. Or are you thinking of moving parts of the song up/down an octave as well?

I'm a bit confused about your capo numbers there - the 12th fret is an octave right? So in theory you should stop at 11, though up there it's getting pretty hard to play chords anyway.

Cammi, can you post a link to a recording of yourself singing? Then we can give much better feedback about why you're not getting those high notes. The tightening could be the back of your tongue pressing down (feel under your chin for this), or could be your larynx rising (feel for tension outside your throat for this). Your jaw also needs to be loose enough to fall down and back a little in order to pass over a particular "crisis point" in your range.

lol... i'm still trying to master the art of not putting my mic too close so that listeners will not hurt their ears with the "pppp" "Sssss" "tttt" sound... i'll post up one audio soon! :)

Back