If your blood type is O+, are you willing to help save the life of a child?

growlingsoulpup

Hi guys,

I’m posting this on behalf of my friend, or more accurately, my friend’s sister.

Unfortunately, my friend’s 12-year-old sister is suffering from a blood disorder known as Severe Aplastic Anemia. I’m not too sure of the exact medical details, but from what I gather, aplastic anemia is essentially a disease whereby the bone marrow is unable to produce enough blood cells for the body. In the case of my friend’s sister, I think the body’s immune system has malfunctioned, with the white blood cells attacking the bone marrow.

It’s a very rare blood disorder because it only affects about 3 in 1 million people, so I’m sure you guys can imagine the impact it has on a 12-year-old and her family…emotionally, financially. The treatment that she has to undergo is called immunosuppressant, where her immune system is suppressed so that it does not attack her blood cells . It’s very financially taxing for the family, and the worst part is that this treatment does not in any way cure the disease, only suppress it. It also means that everywhere this girl goes, she has to be aware of coming into contact with germs, because with her immune system suppressed she has no defense against ordinary sicknesses like flu at all. This creates an even bigger financial burden on the family, because it means that she cannot travel by public transport for fear of being infected by something. She has to go everywhere by taxi, everyday. When you add those daily taxi fares onto a family budget already strained by thousands of dollars of medical and hospitalisation fees...you can imagine how tough it is.

Again, the immunosupression treatment only suppresses the disease, not cure it. There is no cure. The only hope this little girl has of living a normal life again is if she finds a suitable bone marrow donor who is willing to donate his/her bone marrow to her.

There are a few requirements before you can donate your bone marrow. Firstly, your blood type must be the same as hers (O+) before it can work. Secondly, I’m told that for higher chances of compatibility, the donor has to be the same race as the girl (Malay) but other races are not ruled out either.

If your blood type is O+, you can also contribute by being a blood donor. As I understand, at the time being she is receiving blood transfusions from the blood bank, which means the source of the blood is constantly changing. This makes it more difficult for her to accept the blood, because the body might attack it because it is foreign. If she has a list of regular blood donors to go through, this will allow her body to adapt to the blood easier.

If you’re willing, please contact 98924759 (the handphone number of my friend) or email her at nrlsya@live.com.

I know that this post is not the usual fare on this forum, but nonetheless, I hope that you guys will be able to help as much as you can. After all, isn’t rock and roll supposed to change the world?

Sure, none of us here is likely to feed the hungry in Africa or unite the nations in world peace or heal the world and make it a better place, like all those lofty rock and roll ideals go. But you can still change the world by changing this little girl’s world.

Please. Even if you’re not a suitable blood donor yourself, spread the word. Thank you.

Ahh damn, i'm not O+, sorry to hear about the news bro, will help spread the message, and u ask that little girl to be brave and hang on!! :)

I'm blood O+ and malay... but. bone marrow transfer is painful for both the donor and recipient isnt it?

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly about how painful it is since I've never done it. But you know, my friend was telling me about how heartbreaking it was to see her sister been injected with giant needles for medicine and blood tests all the time. And there's just this look of quiet, broken resignation on this 12-year-old girl's face, as if she can't even be bothered to complain about the pain anymore.

I guess if you want to help but you're worried about the pain, just focus on the blessing you'll bring to this girl by donating your bone marrow. If temporary pain can give this brave little girl the chance to lead a normal life again, isn't that worth it?

Also, you can also consider just donating your blood, which is definitely less painful I guess. Even the simple act of blood donation makes a world of a difference, brother.

Hope you give it some serious thought. There's no pressure for you but I sincerely hope you find in your heart the courage to help. Cheers mate.

Last edited:
i don't have the O+ blood type but, spiritgate, i think its more painful for her to go on as she already is. yeah, it might cause a bit of discomfort to you but, that pain will be minute in comparism to the pain that she would have to go through each day if she doesn't get a transplant.

Btw, some info I found about the bone marrow harvesting process.

MYTH
Donating bone marrow is very painful.
FACT
Traditional method: Needle is inserted into the pelvic bone. Generally painless as donor is under general anaesthesia. There may be stiffness or slight discomfort in lower back for a few days.
Newer technique (known as peripheral stem cell harvest): Hormones injected into donor’s body to stimulate production of bone marrow. Donor is connected to a machine and stem cells are collected from the blood stream. It is like blood donation, except blood is put back afterwards.
MYTH
Bone marrow is irreplaceable.
FACT
Marrow is replaced in 90 days.

Information taken from The New Paper.

Has she tried getting bone marrow from her family? Not trying to be insensitive or anything, but what about cousins, uncles, aunties? O+ is pretty common.

I'll discuss with my family and consider donating blood or becoming a donor for bone marrow.

Has she tried getting bone marrow from her family? Not trying to be insensitive or anything, but what about cousins, uncles, aunties? O+ is pretty common.

What I've heard is that there's no one in her immediate family who is compatible. My friend, who's the elder sister, did a bone marrow test and it wasn't compatible so there you go. I'm not sure about the extended family, but I think they should be in the process of testing as well I guess.

In the meantime, please do spread the word. Even if you're not keen on donating your bone marrow, you can still donate blood. It's easy, quick and relatively painless.

An email regarding the situation:

Basically, my 12 year old little sister has just been recently diagnosed with Severe Aplastic Anemia. It means blood counts on all level is low. She is very,very susceptible to infections, she was just hospitalised for a skin infection on Tue. Something as minor as a flu,fever or cough means days of hospital stay for her.

About a mth ago, I went for a test to determine whether I was her match because I am her sibling (siblings have a 33% chance of a match), but unfortunately, I am not.

She went for treatment with immunosuppresants 3/4 weeks ago, and result will take around 6 to 8 weeks to determine whether she is responsive. The doctor says 70% of patients will respond, so I'm just hoping for the best.

In the meantime, she gets blood tranfusions every week so, depending on her blood count. The doctor has told me to provide her with a list of names of atleast 10 people to be her regular blood donor. This means it starts from the first person on the list and ends with the last, afterwhich the first person on the list will be called again and so on. So yeah it's like recycling haha.

If you're still up for it, do email me your full name,age and IC number.

You might want to check up online on criterias on being a blood donor. If I'm not wrong,if you have hepatitis or homosexual (no offence, it really is listed as a no-no), then you can't donate. I think if you have any drug allergies whatsoever you can tell me so i can clarify with the doctor if it's safe.

That' all. If you're right here at the end, wow thanks for reading.

Back