If you find the KRK Rokit 5 (G3) too bassy, here's a quick solution.

Here's what I tried and it works really well for me.

1) Place some firm/semi-firm sponge/foam at the mouth of the front-firing bass port.

Rokit%2B5.jpg

I had some leftover black foam from a DIY project and it fit very discreetly.

2) Set "LF Level Adjust" to +2dB to compensate.

3) Set "HF Level Adjust" to 0dB.

That's it. It's a fully reversible process too - just make sure the sponge/foam is at a good size, slightly larger than the port so you can squeeze them in as you want to just sort of seal up the bass port to some extent. Plus don't push it too far in.

The sound has become a lot clearer and definitely more balanced. Previously with all the bass it had it was good pretty much only for playing back rock music (hence the name Rokit I think :p) and probably electronic dance music, but for other music genres and monitoring purposes, too skewed towards the bass to offer an accurate reproduction.

I seriously doubt this will cause damage to the speakers, but in any case try at your own risk and please don't hold me accountable :). YMMV.

After some googling I had read about someone blocking out the bass port on the Rokit 5 with styrene cut to shape, so decided to try the same thing but with some firm sponge. Steps 2 and 3 are what I did to compensate/balance the sound.

Hope this helps the Rokit 5 owners.

Latest posts

Back