Ibanez SA120 (version 2006)

subversion

SA120_CN_charcoal_brown.jpg

Ibanez SA120 (ver 06)
List: $600

This guitar isn’t a new offering by Ibanez, in fact, this database has an SA120 review already. For a better specification discussion, kindly refer to that write-up. This appraisal serves to highlight the featured revision.

The SA120 remains a mahogany bodied guitar this 2006, similarly, the neck still features a maple/ rosewood fretboard combination. The default pickups remain to be the Axis humbuckers but the manufacturer has chosen to equip the bridge with an Alnico 5 magnet unit as opposed to the previous ceramic version in that position. The guitar’s unidirectional vibrato bridge is now the SAT Pro, the very model equipped in the Prestige SA. There is also a notable increase in the overall weight of the guitar. Unlike its predecessor, the rosewood grade here displays a healthy brown hue, there isn’t a trace of dryness, certainly a marked & laudable improvement in this aspect.

As there were no revisions in the neck dimensions as well as the fret wire size, the SA120 remains to be one of the most playable Ibanez that won’t cost you an arm & a leg. Due to an increased mass, the guitar in question has a healthy inherent bass response which is wisely addressed by the Alnico 5 powered bridge humbucker. The overall voicing from this pickup is more acceptable than its predecessor; certainly, it helps to eliminate the midrange inclination that makes a typical Axis pickup equipped guitar repulsive tone-wise. Although the neck pickup remains to be a ceramic magnet unit, it benefits from the heftier body as well, emanating a full tone both clean & driven (even at higher gain settings). Moving on to the SAT Pro bridge, it isn’t too different from the SAT30 in feel, the rounded bridge saddles mean that palm placement is more comfortable here if it wasn’t already with the former.

Conclusion
I am wondering if the inclusion of the Alnico 5 Axis humbucker in the bridge position is a conscious move by the manufacturer to address the heftier body, specifically. If it is so, then Ibanez are fully in control of their product’s tonal performance, otherwise, it remains to be a very productive accident. However, it won’t convert the tone discriminators among us readily. Some of us believe in doing away with these pickups altogether.

The inclusion of the SAT Pro bridge here is praise-worthy, it is an indication of how the manufacturer intends to propel this guitar. In fact, the arched surface & rounded tipped humbucker mounting ring included here, are also the stunning units used in the Prestige SA.

The 2006 version isn’t a better incarnation than its predecessor but it is more desirable in various bearings. Bravo to affordability & thoughtful upgrades in this SA120.

I like your review. Anyway, this is the version that swee lee currently has in stock? Its going for SGD$480 though. after 20%

ahh.. GST. This guitar + Vox amp is 700 already. It feels as if its better to start of with acoustic.( 200sgd). The 2005 model or 2006 one better? I notice here got 2 reviews

Xypher, have you read both reviews? I think both state the facts very plainly and you can easily tell which is better.

ShredCow said:
Xypher, have you read both reviews? I think both state the facts very plainly and you can easily tell which is better.

no need to read. just tell him

2006 better. get it before it run out of stock! go go go!!!!

hah yea i read both. 2006 does look better. I still have to go down and test. Will run out of stock? Wont they replace stock, just like any other product?

Xypher said:
I like your review. Anyway, this is the version that swee lee currently has in stock? Its going for SGD$480 though. after 20%

thanks for reading. i'm obliged to quote the list price. one should not walk into a store & demand the discounted price quoted by a third party because personal discounts might eventually be more favourable than the ones quoted by others *hint, hint* 8)

despite its indonesian make, i favour the 2006 version for the positive revisions. not saying the pre-06 ones are not as good either...

Back