Ibanez RD 500

subversion

Hi everyone- just transferring this bass review from the guitar section. got mixed up somehow...

Ibanez_RD500.sized.jpg

Ibanez RD500
List: $680

The RD series (Roadgear) of basses by Ibanez is a deviant replacement of the now defunct ATK models. The RD only retained the ATK`s pickup combo, it moved away from the latter`s more conventional body design & its 2+2 tuner configuration at the headstock. The outline of this bass is very un-Ibanez I must say.

Construction/ Fit/ Finish
The RD500 is one well-made Korean. Stunning looks aside (thanks to the quilted maple laminate top), a thorough inspection revealed a top-notch finish. My only gripe with this bass is the misaligned string retainer at the headstock. However, a quick reference to the Ibanez catalogue revealed it to be an intended dislocation to even out the string/ nut tension there. Neck-wise, the RD sports a wider & thicker profile than its other sleek sibling, the SR model. The RD also sports a more rounded rear, a C-profile & rather Fender-esque.

Playability/ Tone
I was a skeptic when it comes to the RD500`s overall balance as its severe treble side cutaway (reaching the 24th fret) left this side of the body with a rather minute horn, inadequate to sustain a balancing act when lapped. I was wrong. The RD rests in perfect equilibrium on my thigh, keeping it in place was effortless. Upper fret access is rather restrictive despite the generous cutaway, your thumb would be effectively impeded at fret number 16; look at the pic above & you`ll know why.

The sound of the RD is a healthy fusion of bottom end thunder & clear midrange resonance. Thanks largely to the Duncan Ibanez pickups. The active on-board pre-amp does very little to clarity but it adds tons to volume- this RD is one of the loudest 4-stringer I`ve come across, especially the bridge humbucker activated in isolation. Nope, that`s not the end of it; the volume knob doubles as a coil-splitter (push-pull activation) so you get very single coil-like tones from the Stringray type bridge humbucker. There you have it, an expansive tonal palette at your disposal.

Last say
Why should you bother with a bass which is riding on stolen attributes to forge its individuality? Re-look at the RD500, do you not see: a Fender Jazz/ Musicman Stingray/ Cort Curbow? Heck, even the headstock reminds me of a certain Suzuki bass… Why? Because it`s one fine tonal chameleon. Many of us would overlook the RD series because of its virtually peculiar outline. The better players out there would not judge this bass by its arguably unsightly persona, but revere it for its righteous tone. The RD500 also comes with Elixir strings by default. For $680, you can`t go wrong.

RD! careful. cos i bought my roadgear bass when i was really really noob. and it kinda made me sad when i realise that there was fretbuzz. so be careful before buying one.
love the thin neck.

1. There will always be fretbuzz if the strings vibrate against the frets, not just on the RD...

2. Fret buzz can be rectified if the neck's a little warped. This happens more on bass than on guitars.

3. Fret buzz doesn't mean there's something wrong with the instrument.

no no... my fretbuzz was a lil too loud...
especially loud on 1st/2nd fret of e string...
when i play rather softly it'll only come out on the 1st/2nd...
so yeah. is it still considered as a problem? or is that normal.
thanks

Its just a problem with the trussrod in your guitar neck. Your guitar neck is at a concave position. Go and get it setup dude. My Ibanez have the same problem too. I sent it to get it setup and its working great. :wink:

Agreed. When buying your bass, if there was fretbuzz, you should've been able to detect it at the point of buying, if it was THAT bad.

IMO, the Ibanez RD is a really awesome budget bass. i hope u didnt throw yours away, lol

$680 is a superb mid-price for a bass that offers impressive playability & tone, in perspective, of course...

P.S. budget doesn't mean lousy gear cheap price, it means good gear good price. if you think guitars cost around the $300 range, then go live in china or sumtin'.

i sent it to guitar connection... feel like he ripped me off... yes the buzz rarely appears on the amp now... but still when i play at home it's pretty irritating when i play hard enough...
haha i got mine for $425... first hand swee lee sale

do note that basses are more susceptible to fretbuzz than guitars- it's the nature of the strings' vibration. my Fender Mustang here is buzzing excessively but it doesn't manifest through the amp.

who did the job for u at guitar connection? go to kai chin..
and how "hard" is "hard"? some of the bassists i know have ultra low action and they play really really softly. when i play their basses, the fret buzz is excessive. make your bass yours, set it up to your liking

anyway, at 400 it's a steal for that bass.

yeah it was kai chin... he lowered the action cos it was kinda high at first... then he messed with the rod... it was better than original cos if i dn play hard... e buzz doesn't come out too bad... but i'm pretty sure that the buzz is more obvious that most other basses...
guess it doesn't really matter lah. cos it's only two frets... and at most... i just pump up the gain and vol when i play softly.
btw what's the diff between gain and volume... something to do with active/passive issit?

what amp are you using?

and u might be wrong when saying your buzz is more than others. have u tried OTHER basses? fully setup basses prefably, not basses hung up at most shops (swee lee does a horrible job with some of their display basses!).

hmm i think i have... the one at other shops count? and the washburn at fourtones. they are lesser lah... the uncle at g77 also say my buzz very obvious.

Back