How to use the MIDI keys on the toneport kb37 for drum recording?

Martius

Hello all!

Im new to the whole software/home-studio-recording thing and i have no idea what to do for recording drums.

So far, im only able to record guitar, bass and vocals on the toneport kb37 using ableton and gearbox(duh).

But i have no idea how to get the drum stuff on. Im supposed to be able to hit the keys on the toneport and record the drums that were assigned to the keys.

Anyone can help me out here?

Thankss! :)

within ableton, go to preference, midi sync page.

with the kb 37 connected to the comp, within the midi sync page, under midi port, there should be input and output of the kb 37 listed.

"On" the track and remote option for input: in from KB 37(or which ever name its showing that belongs to kb 37)

Once done, go back to arranagement/session view, insert a midi track, load any drum rack into this midi track, select the midi input either as "all in" (if only having 1 midi controller) or kb 37, midi channel can leave it as all channel for time being(unless wanna transmit to different channels to trigger different vsti), lastly, just arm the midi track and play the keys to sound the drums.

To record the drum audio, insert an audio track and select the "Audio from", as the particular midi channel which contains the drum rack. Within the midi channel with the drum rack, select "audio to", to the audio channel which you be using to record the drum audio.

As the midi channel is only dealing with midi, if to record in this track, it will only record all the midi notes without the audio parts, thus you need another audio channel to receive/record the triggered drum sound.

info on using midi controllers with ableton, theres more info here

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/articles/livetech_0207.htm

Last edited:
Back