How to solo without sounding "scaley"

Nicholasim

Hi,

I need some help. After learning the Minor and Major scales over the past few weeks. I tried playing over a backing track many many times. I dont really have a problem on the minor pentatonics but i have a problem with the major scale. I feel that i sound too "scaley" when playing.

Any advice on how to sound more like music instead of scales? I've tried string skipping, quads notes but to no avail. In the end, it still sounds like im playing a scale in practise. help

play 2 notes from one chord --> move to the 1st inversion of the chord then move back.

I play whatever comes to my head xD

It takes sometime to develop a good understanding of how to use scales. When improvising, you normally don't use just a single scale. For example you might combine major scale with its relative major pentatonic (3 frets down from root note), add perhaps add some chromatic notes in between. You might also want to combine it techniques like hammer-on, pull-off, bending, sliding, vibrato, triads, octave notes and other licks.

I suggest you to listen to a lot of recordings and music styles to have a good idea on this.

Apart from the great technical tips as above, try singing/humming what sounds musical to you--record it if you have to--and work out on guitar what you sang/hummed. This may sound silly at first, but it guarantees that your phrases will be more musical. Don't let the scales dominate you. You dominate the scales.

and also the space within the notes...you can also call it rhythm......for example......instead of always
playing predictable rhythm...try combining triplets, sycopated, whole to 1/32 notes...trills etc...

not sure you know what I mean...sometimes with a good rhythm..you can turn scales into a good solo too....

Surprising that no one even mentions about playing arpeggios.

Use arpeggios, you can find it on websites how to play it, link the arpeggios together. E.g. Key of C, use C maj, Dm, Fmaj, Gmaj or G7, Em arpeggios and link them together.

Youtube has tons of lessons on how to not sound like you're playing scales. Google and Youtube are your best friends.

it's called - phrasing. it's like when u talk/type, u need comma, full-stop. next paragraph etc etc
same with your soloing. :)

I would agree with many of the earlier comments but go on to say that perhaps you should continue to use scales as a warm up exercise, but shift the focus of your study on to arpeggios for a while. Since you are already thinking of applying scales against a chord or key center, arpeggios will help open things up.

The best resources for doing this will take you in a Jazz Fusion direction but that can only be a good thing. I would also recommend you grab the Frank Gambale Technique book - Frank's approach to guitar is highly logical, thorough and methodical. He covers using intervals, triads, 4 note arpeggios, pentatonics, dual triads and scales. There's two books in the series but book one will take you 6-12 months and will give you a massive amount of ideas to process.

After that, go to TomQuayle.com website and dive into some of his downloadable lessons. When you want to break out of the Pentatonic/Diatonic rut and start finding ways to play 'outside', I can't recommend Tom's lessons enough. It's very much Jazz theory, but put into a very modern context.

To SpaTans point, I once learned a great technique from Prof David Baker - horn players can't twiddle endlessly like piano players and guitarists because they have to breathe. So try taking a breath and silently exhale or speak while you play - when you run out of breath, stop playing, take a breath, and start again.

A long time ago, I got picked out of a crowd of 300 guitarist (by the aforementioned Prof Baker) to come up and jam with him (at a Sydney School of Music summer camp). I was hella nervous to say the least... But I remembered his advice and took a deep breath, imagined myself yelling at my girlfriend (who was, to be fair, a total lovelovelovelovelove...) and unleashed a tirade of notes, phrased like a one-sided argument. By the end of the number I got an ovation and the Prof said "I like this kid, he plays the blues dirty!". For the rest of the summer I was known as "Dirty". Cool advice from a jazz god.

Hi, I'm new here.

Anyway, I have the same problem as well. Can't seem to improvise anything that sounds nice.

Perhaps try targeting chord tones? Use the notes from diatonic scales and lead them to the chord tones. I've yet to try this though, I still have problems trying to visualise arps and scales all over the fretboard. :/

It takes sometime to develop a good understanding of how to use scales. When improvising, you normally don't use just a single scale. For example you might combine major scale with its relative major pentatonic (3 frets down from root note), add perhaps add some chromatic notes in between. You might also want to combine it techniques like hammer-on, pull-off, bending, sliding, vibrato, triads, octave notes and other licks.

I suggest you to listen to a lot of recordings and music styles to have a good idea on this.

This the trick for me. Watch your guitars heros play, you get a lot of inspiration also.

you need to learn how to create phrases, one way is to sing what you play or just hum it in your head, this also develops your sense of melody

For me, i start with the key of C. C major and A minor scales.
I include all the techniques that i learnt throughout the years.
Bending,sliding, hammer, release etc.
Other than picking, i also used strumming.
Not strumming on the chords, but strumming on the scales.

Eg: C major relative minor is A.(pentatonic) Therefore the whole of the fifth fret is part of the scales.
I usually include strumming of the G B e (fifth fret) strings as part of my solo.

no one can teach you creativity....a teacher can guide you,teaching you scales and modes and how it sound but you still need to have creative ideas for melody run and phrasing when soloing...listening to lots of guitar playing and solos might help...that is why sometimes you can see guitarist who doesnt really memorizes scales but they play base on hearing the notes and positions,patterns of fretboard to get phrasing they want....you need to listen to all types of music in order to have more ideas on soloing...eg if you only pentatonic scales 2 notes per string,you might sound like typical blues player...maybe by playing 3,4 or 5 notes per string,you might sound different....marty friedman mostly use pentatonic minor scales for soloing,but he didnt sound like playing pentatonic...but exotic weird oriental phrase....

Hi TS, without get too long winded with my explanation I would just put the solution to your problem as "learn more songs". The reason why is, you'll never be able to come up with something without inspiration. What you want to do is to learn solos from different songs and also identify what you are actually playing but more importantly, try to to notice the type of prominent phrases used in those solos which you can "copy", make it your own and start introducing it to your lead playing.

I'm not too sure of what level or what style of playing you're at, but here's a list of songs which I personally think are useful in building your phrasing repertoire.

1) "Stairway to Heaven"- Led Zeppelin
2) "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3) "Hotel California" - The Eagles
4) "Crazy Train" - Ozzy Osbourne
5) "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Eric Clapton) - The Beatles
6) “You Shook Me All Night Long” - AC/DC

Back