how to solo and improvise

detroit_red said:
But any specific key he play it in?

The transposing nature of stringed instruments makes it easy to move up and down the neck to change keys, so learn, for example, a harmonic minor in E and once you find out the key you need to be in, you can easily transpose.

Playing with heart can only bring you to what your theory can take you further. Wanna take it further? learn theory and break it open and use your own method of understanding.

Practise without theory is like the Sailor who sails without a compass and a rudderr - Leonardo Da Vinci

Most ppl i know they know and memorise all the modes but they have no idea how to use it. So this is for all the guitarists that been asking me "How U Use Mode HUh?"

Ok here we go this is the simplest way that i can explain:

Improvising is an art. Chords are colours, Brightness/ contrast are Modes and phrasing is your outlin. Together, you form a picture or a stories.

As an artist you need to know all of the element of painting to create a beautiful picture.

note that as chords are colours so there are chords that blends well with each other as well.

Chords and Modes cannot be separated from each other if you want to use them effectively. What modes to use depends on what your chords is ( This is the basic. For other techniques this can be used differently).

ok for example:

Dmin9 : D F A C E

so what are the possible modes to use here ?

D Dorean: D E F G A B C D

D Aeolean: D E F G A Bb C D

Food for thought
Find out why all the other modes cannot be used if you want to preserve the "colour" for the Dmin9 chords.

Another Example:

G+b9: G Ab B Eb F

example of what modes i would use:

G Phrygian: G Ab Bb C D Eb F G + B

Is it possible to create different colours (Chord Progression) by just playing different modes and with different key?

The answer is yes.

So learn to add lots of colours to your improvisation now ...

next up is chord subtitution ... hmmm thinking of how to simplify it... ok gotta go back work now

detroit_red said:
cause ppl say malmsteen like to use e minor etc ... i guess key is not the right word ... sorry la but my theory sucks ...
Well, ok - this depends on your training or exposure. Classically trained musicians talk about keys in terms of majors and minors, e.g. A minor, C major, but if you examine the number of sharps and flats you'll see that these two are the same (no sharps or flats) so they are said to be 'enharmonically equivalent'. Relating the keys back, to a device such as the Circle Of Fifths (look on MSN Search) these are both the same key - C Major - it's just that the emphasis is different - one hovers around Am, the other around C - the tonic.

Typically though, people don't say 'it's in the key of A Harmonic Minor' - they will say 'A minor' - the harmonic or melodic modifiers are normally applied to a choice of scale, so people might say "Yngwie plays in A minor or E minor a lot and he prefers a harmonic minor scale and associated chords".

guitarman78 said:
Ablue, Vernplum, Mr Keyboardman ....

I'm very impressed by your knowledge about music .... :)

Mind sharing with us how your practice routine is like? Like is there a particular artist you try to emulate? Or certain drills or exercises that you use to develop your musicianship?

Thanks but my knowledge of music (theoretical) compared to an average jazzer is actually quite limited - I bet that your harmonic knowledge, knowledge of chords, substitutions and scales is miles better than mine and I would love to pick your brains on this sometime. I know some basics - more in the Clapton/Page type of rock area of how to improvise, and after doing this for years and years, this has given me a marginal insight into the art of spontaneous creation of lines which honestly happens rather infrequently.

I don't have a fixed practice regime anymore for electric guitar. I used to do lots of technical drills, arpeggios, scales etc. but don't bother that much with those now; if anything I am trying to play slower than I might have been 10 years ago. If I do practice pattern and finger-memory type stuff it is more around breaking out of traditional ascending and descending figures. Mostly I pick up the guitar and try to make melodies and play something that sounds thematic spontaneously; this is what I enjoy the most. Sometimes I make vamps on a mini-sequencer and play over those, but not often since I usually can't be bothered with the programming. So, my motivations are different to an ensemble player right now - my output is all very freeform and unaccompanied.

I am also taking classical lessons, for which I do have a more rigid regimen, but that's another story - no improv involved there *yet*. :)

mus said:
Learn Scales then pay around with it. That's what i normally do :D

But mus, scales can only take you so far. And playing a scale up and down linearly all the time, is not necessarily the most musical way of improvising.

Learn arpeggios, learn theory to give you a foundation to experiment and always be able to call on what you know to come up with something interesting. The best thing about theory is that when you play something cool, you can duplicate it, and then analyse it to reinvent it in some other context.

Listen to people like Michael Brecker and Mike Stern or whoever your favourite improviser is. Hell listen to Elvis and transcribe his vocal melodies if you like. Build vocabulary. Learn as many songs as possible and have fun. Let the music come out naturally but never stop thinking and learning so you can improve yourself and sound just that little bit better tomorrow.

Also, work on ear training. Make it part of your practice regime. Just 20-45 mins a day. Makes you better at hearing what you want to play before you play it. Knowing your neck by learning scales, arpeggios, chord shapes and the notes that they are made of and especially learning and practising reading will help you play what you hear in your head, much easier.

Unfortunately, I haven't been a good boy when it comes to reading but I am so much further and better off than when I started school. I know the neck better and I can come up with cool chord voicings and guitar parts just that little bit quicker. Which in turn makes me a more valuable contributor on gigs and such.

Sometimes, ditch the regime, program a cool chord progression into the sequencer and just jam and have fun. Record yourself every now and then and see how much progress you are making.

Oh glad that this one has been resurrected as this is the all time *best* thread ever in all the music forums in the entire world. There's some guy posting in there - Vernplum - boy does he rock. He deserves for people to organize a cash collection (large denomination non-sequential notes) and present it to him in a big golden box.

Best way to improvise? Learn scale shapes, identify the key to the song and jam along!
Try to vary the music, from blues to rock and roll and hell, even some metal! :twisted:
I like to jam along to John Mayer songs (feeling), Oasis songs (pick up the pace), and then G&R or AC/DC for some classic rock action!
I don't do metal cause I can't shred yet.. So I'm going for feeeeeeel!

Oh glad that this one has been resurrected as this is the all time *best* thread ever in all the music forums in the entire world. There's some guy posting in there - Vernplum - boy does he rock. He deserves for people to organize a cash collection (large denomination non-sequential notes) and present it to him in a big golden box.

I gotch $5. Can I have your autography?

Back