how to reverse connection on a pickup

lamestaine

I recently changed a single coil to a humbucker (bridge) on an SX strat copy. The guitar works fine when i use the middle pickup alone and when i use the humbucker at the bridge alone.

But when i switch the pickup selector to position 4 (both the middle and the biridge) theres a decrease in volume.

"Reversing the coil connections reverses the polarity, and may be necessary on one pickup to allow the standard "in-phase" connections. Your ears are a good guide - if you expect an in-phase sound you should hear a full, slightly nasal sound. If you get a hollow, middley sound with a volume drop, you probably have pickups with opposite polarity, and need to reverse the connections on one pickup to restore normality."

I got this from http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/pickcomb.htm

"hollow, middley sound with a volume drop" is exactly what im hearing when i use the middle and bridge pickups together.

so how do i reverse the connection on one pickup? and which pickup should it be? the middle or the bridge?

Last edited:
just take the two wires of the middle pick-up and reverse them.

meaning if there's a red and a black wire, black goes to where red was and red goes to where black was...

but I've tried SX strats before, I think it is normal that they sound like that.
Plz update us after you reverse the mid pickup, i need to confirm my suspicions

hey! it worked!

but then the volume dropped problem happened again when i used the neck and mid pickup together. but its ok, cuz i reversed the neck pickup too.

now, theres no volume drop anymore but my toes hurt because i accidentally stepped on my soldering iron. haha.

thanks seekz!
(i want to give you some rep points but i dont have any rep power haha)

Back