How To - Master and memorize a scale

Anirudh

hey guys, as the thread topic reads, how do i go about improving my "vocaulary" of a certain scale. if u get what i mean.

coz one scale, lets say in the key of E, can be played all over the fretboard so i am finding it hard to master the scale and memorize where the notes of the scale lie on the fretboard. so are there any exercises that can help me improve my memory of notes and also familiarity with the scale?

btw im learning an exotic scale this is how it sounds like on the LOW E string for those who're interested.

E|-0-1-4-5-7-8-11-12-------------------

thanx a bunch in advance :D

cheers,

GMA

you'll just have to memorize the scale like everyone else. theres really no easy way out. i asked the same question too, and got the same reply. even im trying to memorize the notes of the blues and mixolydian scale. its hard, yet i still memorize like crazy.

one way i memorize the scales is by using the dot inlays on the fret. if i were to play a blues scale and see what note im fretting i would see where my finger is. well thats my way of memorizing. practicing your pitch and your hearing is also another way of memorizing. in the end you wont be just memorizing, you'll be just....playing! so far it has been the easiest method for me =)

hope this helped

cheers!

mayb you could know the sequence of the notes you are playing instead just memorising fret numbers.

this can help you familiarise yourself with the notes on the fretboard. :D

+1

yups yups..

the notes are much more important..augh...how come i left this out. yups you're right..learn your 1st, 3rds, 5ths, octaves etc etc...

btw that scale you put up sounds like a scale called hiroujoushi

and the real scale should be something like this..

-----------------------1-4-------
-------------------1-4-----------
------------1-3-4---------------
--------2-3----------------------
----2-3--------------------------
-1-4-----------------------------

i think its liddat lah, if i can recall....since a typical exotic scale is meant to sound like that.

i think its more important to recognise how the scale sounds then how its played on the fretboard. You can try.. closing your eyes, and play out the scales as how you think it should sound.
Memorise scales on the fretboard will help you get started only abit, but ultimately its all about hearing and recognising the scales. It takes sometime, when you got that, its all natural

i admit i dont know the scale positions on the fretboard as good as i used to .I used to memorise scales, but i dont now. Its because i no longer feel the need to look at the frets to play

you should try out scales that are much more easier to listen and recognise , stuff like pentatonics, aeolian , ionian mode 1st, before you attempt exotic scales.

a few easy steps to get you started

1) find all the notes in the particular scale

2) draw out your fingerboard to from open string all the way to the 12th fret

3) mark out all the notes with a dot

4) now find the notes and make up your own sequences, slowly covering the whole board

eminorpenta.jpg

this is the e minor penta
the bigger white spots are the tonal centres, or the E notes

thats pretty cool!

haha may i ask how to use modes to solo/improvise?

like i asked my piano friend, he said that to take out all the flats and sharps and just play. so i'm like pretty unsure. anyone can teach me more on that?

wow guys thanx for all that help.

i actually did try out jeremyrozario's method and went to draw out all the nots..now that really helped and rest assured i DO know the notes of the scale so i know what im playing heh.

btw fenderrules, its actually the indian scale :D not the hiroujoushi

you know guys...

I believe that when one first starts out, you gotta get familiar with the scale. Play it thru in the most mundane, boring manner, from the 6th string to the 1st, 2 notes a string, or 3 notes a string. Then when you are so familiar with it, you are just running up and down with your eyes closes, we have to move on.
This time we move from the 1st fret to the last fret. Sideways. We go 1 string at a time. Then we start to work out matters. Go up 4 notes, down 3 notes, then up 4 etc etc, or in groups of 3, 6, 5, 7, anything.

As time goes on, the SOUND of the scale would become apparent, especially exotic scales, like what hi-fi killer has mentioned (+1 to that!), you should use your ears to help you choose the next note or so.

Exotic scales, modes, they are flavouring. If you look at modes, some of them only have a 1 note difference from the standard major/minor scales. Lydian - #4, Mixolydian - b7, Phrygian - b2. Running up & down, you just lose most of that flavour - gotta focus on bringing out flavour via those different notes.

Mix and match, watch and listen... both sides of a coin lah...

Here's a cool thing to try, take a backing track, a slow one. Find 2 notes, that would fit into say.. the 1st chord and 3rd chord of the backing track.. just 2 notes. Now, repeat that backing, and with the start & end in mind, fill in the blanks inbetween. Play the 1st note, then go crazy and experiment with the inbetween tones but land on the 2nd note.
You might find yourself running whole tones, chromatics, diminished, altered, whatever, scales inbetween but landing on the right notes... tends to make it sound right-er.

Back