How to get hi gain sound without so much distortion???

LimpPisskit

OK any CHEAP gear or tips or maybe pickups that can help me get long crying notes like when gain is on 10 but without so much distortion??

I try using gain<1 and turn up volume instead but it's not the same. It is just weak clean only louder. I want strong clean sound.

I think maybe Vai Tender Surrender solo is example of sound I'm looking for. Or imagine the sustain and power of intro notes on For the Love of God but without so much distortion. Is DiMarzio EVO good pickup for this la???

Ibanez RG --->Boss GT3---->Marshall AVT20

thx

What hes after is not so much gain, but more sustaining power. So I think, he wants a not so distorted tone (overdriven perhaps) which can sustain long. Well. I can't say much here, except you might wanna try using overdrive instead of distortion. at the same time, a compressor might give you the sustain you are looking for. Hope this helps ;)

He only has it on one of his guitars. Even so, he uses it sparingly. So if Vai doesen't use it much. What use do we?

You just have to use it the way you like.
Doesn't mean Vai don't use it or something means you can't use it either. :roll:

LimpPisskit said:
I think maybe Vai Tender Surrender solo is example of sound I'm looking for. Or imagine the sustain and power of intro notes on For the Love of God but without so much distortion. Is DiMarzio EVO good pickup for this la???

Ibanez RG --->Boss GT3---->Marshall AVT20

thx

Okay, first of all, realise that Vai doesn't use THAT much distortion. Its not a chugga chugga metal level gain but rather, a more rockish tone.

From what you have, go borrow a SD-1 or a TS9 then use that to boost your AVT20... and have the gain on your AVT at around say... 1 oclock. That should be it. Really. Its not THAT much gain.

Now, note that For the Love of God was recorded with PAF Pro pickups and a marshall... can't rem the amp model but drop by www.jemsite.com and do a search.

The Dimarzio Evolution pups are not for everyone. They are hi output.. and have been describes as cutting, tight, shrill, cold, punchy, hot all in one. They are definately not for everyone. For cutting tone, Evos are IT, they are great for live applications. Of course, good in studio too. If you want something along the PAF Pro tone of For the Love of God... consider the Dimarzio Breed pups. Less modern sounding than the Evolutions but with modern power. Think of the Breed as a hotter and fatter and mid-dier PAF Pro.

maybe you could try master volume on guitar down to 7? oh, and put tone to6 around there, works for mine... i use the bridge pickup... for amp settings maybe put to warm kinda tone, the fdd button thing... put bass to 4, mid to 3 and high to 6...

hifi_killer said:
get a compressor. A powerful one.

I would recommend against that.

You use distortion/overdrive, you get natural compression. Add a compressor, you might lose your playing dynamics.

Besides, really, you don't need a compressor to get longer sustain. A well setup guitar, good distortion/overdrive would give you enough sustain.

darkballa said:
can anyone explain what a compressor does?

It compresses your sound. Evens it out. So your loud parts are made softer, and softer parts made louder (if you use high compression)..

If you notice, upping your gain usually has a compression effect... like with a TS9. On clean, your neck pup might be louder than your bridge... but on distortion, they are even.

EDIT: So why add even more compression? You'll end up with a signal thats overly compressed and your picking dynamics will not come out.

Back