How to get a good slap tone?

thank you superkicky. but the thing is i always play without my mids. and when i slap/pop , sometimes the pop is too metallic and the slap in way to soft. is it the way i slap/pop or is it my amp cause i do get better tone when i tried trace elliot and behinger?

Hi i'm no expert on slap/pop but one think i know is, yes the amps do affect the sound of your slap tone, not only that even your pickups also affect your slap tone. But the think that affects the most is actually our techniques itself. I'm still trying hard practising my slap/pop. :oops:

thank you dude. today i just tried the one hartke at fourtones and i did get the slap/pop tone again maybe i guess ampeg is not for slap/pop?

uhh.... think this topic was mentioned. you can backtrack on the bass archives.

meanwhile, change strings, observe how other bassists slap etc etc before spending your life savings.

Vendetta_B said:
thank you superkicky. but the thing is i always play without my mids. and when i slap/pop , sometimes the pop is too metallic and the slap in way to soft. is it the way i slap/pop or is it my amp cause i do get better tone when i tried trace elliot and behinger?

You still need some mids in there man... ;) I usually cut the higher-mids but not by so much. I guess there's lots of factors involved, from the bass to the preamp to the strings and the amp and the player...

There's a pretty good slap bass DVD by some botak white guy (I can't remember the name) so if you come across it, don't hesitate to buy. The cover's got the bridge humbucking pickup from a Deluxe Pbass on it and it's red... that's all I can remember.

Victor wooten do more of Thumb down Thumb up pluck (fore) pluck (middle)...
Depend on your bass and can also adjust the amp sound.
And how you strike the string and where you strike will also determine the type of sound.
The gauge of your strings will also matter. Light gauge can give a nice pop.
Louis Johnson do not strike on the last fret but I do. :lol:

Back