How to dampen sound if u live in a HDB flat?

barry

Please advise on:
1. how to dampen sound from bassdrum/hihat so that your neighbour below will not suffer?

2. how to contain/absorb the sound in ya room, so that your next door neighbour wont have to ´come over´?

Sorry to break the news, but there is NO WAY of doing that. That´s the fact, if people tell u otherwise, they are lying!!!!

only 2 expensive solutions:
1. Build a room, within a room. $$$$$
2. buy electronic drum.

hmm..i tink that will onli reduce reverberation from the room walls..cant really prevent sound leaking out and disturbing neighbours..=>

aniwae... a neighbour opposite block always plays his undampened drums every weekend afternoon.. i can hear from mi room..doors/windows shut tight..still goes..
*boom! boom! boom!*

Attachments

• ST3_hiRes.jpg
    ST3_hiRes.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,018
There´s a way to do it, but i don´t think you guys would like it. For strong sound reinforcement, there is a need for sound acoustics to be placed. Means couple of layers of diiferent materials have to be placed over on the floors. Including the windows, walls etc. It´s too deep a topic and the easiest way around it is to hire an acoustic contractor(professional one!) to reconstruct the room, would costly i think $15000 if i´m not wrong.

The other way is to read into Sound Acoustics yourself and get the materials, it would be cheaper but hell!! Anyway or the other, EDB approval has to be gotten i think.

Mattresses and carpets are some common layman methods, these materials absorb sound. Cover the room with all absorbing materials like books, curtains etc would help, but it´s be very hot. However, these are not sure ways to really deplete the sound travelling out of the room.

The final way i think is the best!!! Get an electronic drumset!!

Attachments

• sweelee_namm.jpg
    sweelee_namm.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 14,177
15000?
wah..i tink better alternative would be to get a
"whisper room"...self assembly recording cubicles..

cant remember the url..do a search perhaps..
tink there are a couple of manufacturers

Attachments

• Pete_Lockett.jpg
    Pete_Lockett.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 11,997
the url is http://www.whisperroom.com

in fact, just got one myself. but it is a small one for voice-over recording only.

isolation is okay. still trying to figure how to get cool air in there.

Attachments

• show-me-the-city-ep-3.jpg
    show-me-the-city-ep-3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 10,960
hey man
ITS POSSIBLE!!sorry to have come in this "dead"forum so slow..
but ya..its possible cos i have done up my room...my teacher also have a room..

for my room asked a carpenter to make abt 20cm height platform...only $200then i went to ikea to buy an excat same size carpet to put it on top...and my parents went to buy a bigger carpert to put it bellow the platform..and until now...5mth later....i still have no complains from the person bellow...(the person living bellow have called police b4 to complain abt my house when we jus moved in bcos of our moving of furniture...)
but he havent even complain abt my drums!haha..
and then i pasted my room with this grey cushion....only 1 wall is left untouched...the door is also cushioned.make sure that u cover all the holes at the door...all around the door..i dun have the number of the company who provide the foam...but it cost only $16/GIAGANTIC piece....

hi,got quite a stupid idea.not sure it might work.why can you attach a piece of foam or carpet to the drumset instead?just cut out the shape of the clash/drums on the carpet and paste it on.wouldn´t it be so much cheaper?the sound will definitely be muffed.....

I dun noe if you´re still reading the thread...

But one way would be to head down to Swee Lee and get the drum mutes. It would cost abt $200 altogether (the toms, snare, bass, cymbals, etc).

S$160 solution that works for me

:lol: Hi all, am new here ... hope to get to you know you guys.

I've the drum sound off muffler from tradersgreen. just put it on my all my drum heads .. it includes mufflers for cymbals too.

yes it might sacrifice a bit of the feel when playing on the kit .. however... I find that it makes your fingers and feet work harder .... and when I get to the actual kit .. it really feels that you've practice well before it.

I play full volumn at noon on satursdays by just taking the mufflers off... no complains for the past one year already.

hope this helps.

:D

creatures77 said:
hmm..try this..
put the drumset on ur king coil mattress???
haha..jus kiddin

king coil :D ...

how about this one:

practice your drums til you become so good that the old lady next door will bob her head to your beats everytime you play. (just don't play after 10 ) LOL

in other words, heckcare your neighbours and concentrate on improving your musicianship HA HA HA

creatures77 said:
aniwae... a neighbour opposite block always plays his undampened drums every weekend afternoon.. i can hear from mi room..doors/windows shut tight..still goes..

*boom! boom! boom!*

You don't happen to stay in Jurong do you?

Heh! Goody! Thought world so small and you might possibly be my next block neighbour or something.

Anyway, I live in Jurong, have the Rhythm Traveler in my flat. So far, neighbours never complain yet (parents and siblings complain a lot, a lot though). Been nearly two years already! I always play during the weekends, close door, windows, curtains down and air-con on. However, I do damp the heads and cymbals with bits of gaffle tape. The sound isn't that full on but you make do for a bit.

And I'm a female drummer. So all pronouns are "she!" :p

if u stayed next to me..i'll go over 'complain' even if u werent playing ..haha

last time when i just shifted in..which is ages ago..my neighbour below would come up to complain even if my dad is just doing skipping exercises at home..or wen i turn my portable stereo cassette radio louder ..those portable mini kinds..not even a hifi
:D

Wah! Your neighbour got mega ears man!!! Skipping can also produce "noise"???

I feel a bit lucky living on the other side of Singapore. Heh!!!

Back