how long did it take for u to play double strokes?!

how long did it take for u to play double strokes

• <2 weeks?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <1 month?

• <3months?

• Total voters
turbochicken said:
simply put, you have to PLAY your double strokes and not bouce them.

Ok on that note ( no bouncing ) , i sark...lol

im pretty much stable on BOUNCING double stroke roll with all grips...

but...solid 1s...hmm...*check me up another month :lol: *

hey about the R R L l thing in which the second left stroke is softer..i the begginers who juz started should try this. accent the second stroke of both hands..so when u play in faster, the dynamics (volume) of all the strokes will be more or less the same..i saw this on dave weckl's instructional video

~drummar buah~

interesting approach there turbochicken. I'd test it out! Cool tip~!

I'm not a big fan of "pinching off" the 2nd stroke with the thumb and have been looking for other ways to get that 2nd stroke sounding clear and (for practice sakes) even louder than the 1st.

and for all i'm capable of, i can't double stroke... yet.

dudeee, 3 days to get ur doubles really isn't possible, or any length of time based on days. i may be wrong you might be a podigy, if u are pls earse the last few sentences from ur mind and forget i exist. turbo chicken seems to know wats he's talking abt. my 2 cents worth is get a good teacher so all the mystery and myth concerning a solid smooth double is cleared. ray azizz at crazy elephant is a good guy to ask. tony zee is gd too, or just join a millitary band with a decent percussion tutor tht can buzz it and double stroke it

bouncing double strokes wouldn't even be called double strokes at all..cuz ur not supposed to bounce it. but rather it's all finger work like those in dave weckl's videos. for me i can't play with the HIT AND SNAP technique but i'm practicing. but i oso don't bounce my double strokes. all fingerwork. i did to 200bpm in less than a month i guess..

~drummar buah~

As far as I know, Weckl uses the open-close technique for his matched right hand. Which is basically the hit and snap technique. Bouncing double strokes isn't wrong, as long as you know you're using the Gladstone technique effectively

actually, double strokes for the palms in technique requires you to use the initial bounce when the stick hits the surface, "snap" the stick down again with your fingers, to execute the second stroke of the doublestroke.

dudeees i think ur confusing this bugger haha, man tell u wat go get a teacher a good one. go find ah tat at yamaha. he's a really nice dude and an excellant teacher for hand techniques. i studied under him before he went to yamaha and he's good man. look there are a billion and one ways to play a double stroke roll, open closed and all that nonsense. but man u need to ask urself if u have ur fundimentals there. can u play R rl Rrl, Rlr Rlr. the basic stick patterns can u do it fast , turn it ard use ur left hand to lead. play it with dynamics. play it soft, play all these patterns one after the other and mix them ard. can u read these if u wrote them down with all the patterns jumbled and not in sequnce.
if u can then start doubles, if not.............but anyhow get a teacher lah i think we all me inculded confusing u.

today was my first time really practising double strokes. i can't double stroke for nutz with my left hand... yes i suck at fundementals.

here's my question:

on the kit, which is the best to practice double strokes on? i used the closed highhats today and the strokes sounded nice, but putting on the snare, the dynamic problem with my sticking is super obvious. putting on the toms i couldn't hear them properly...

the ride is too washy...

comments?

snare.

the best balance.

hats = too hard, the bounce strokes are easily attained.

toms = too wet, you need more control to execute the doubles

ride = same as hats, but the "ring" covers the strokes

on the advice for beginner forum i got wrote wat i did to get my double strokes. but yah turbo chicken is right that u can hear very clearly if u screw up ur doubles on a snare. practice on a tom as well though the floor tom but keep relaxed. u basically need to practice on any surface i feel. because u might want to travel ard the kit with doubles u u need ur hands to adjust fast.

my lectuer showed us this tape today on this thing called the open and close technique. bloody amazing how easy doubles look with this technique.

it has something to do with the way ur hand nutarally moves. when u move ur wrist down ur hand naturally opens when u move it up it naturally closes. its rather hard to explain i really need to show u. i haven't done much practise on it myself just saw how to do it today. stick height is also mentioned.
sorry man i really have to show u hard to explain.
i'd be back in s'pore ard nov

My advice is: muscle both strokes (PLAY both strokes) until you can't muscle them anymore, then do it somemore. If at that point you feel like your hands are gonna fall off, then rely a bit on the rebound.

This way you can do doubles anywhere, snare, tom, even your carpet and it will sound dynamically consistent. Eventually you can learn how to relax and rely on the rebound a bit more, but it will still sound good.

Drum corp people do this all the time, that's why they sound so clean. Don't listen to the drummers in the move Drumline. They are super messy. Go for DCI shows that feature corps such as the Blue Devils. Vicfirth.com has plenty of short clips.

Back