how does grounding the amp reduce noise

i just grounded my amp and the hum reduced tremendously. it used to hum like crazy even with a humbucker. i don't understand why it had to come with the weird looking 2 pin plug. anyway what's the principle behind grounding?

i just grounded my amp and the hum reduced tremendously. it used to hum like crazy even with a humbucker. i don't understand why it had to come with the weird looking 2 pin plug. anyway what's the principle behind grounding?

Yeah...me too! I grounded my amp and the hum reduced but funny thing is, I'm still getting radio signals from my amp! Can hear the DJ's voice clearly! I read some thread here that you need to shield your guitar. Does that help in my case?

Arsony

might like to wikipedia or google round for grounding info. If wanna more on instrument/gadget grounding info, search around on diystompboxes.com forum.

grounding - Google Search
Search result for grounding on diystompboxes forum need to log in then can see, if interested enough, just register in the forum and search around.

theres radio/stray frequencies, all around us in the air, somewhere along the guitar, cables to the amp is picking up this signal and amplified it thru the amp.

heh, i ever encountered fuzz factory picking up radio signal and amplified thru the amp when i step on the pedal in my room. I tried to shift things round and it kinda solve the problem.

shielding is creating a faraday cage
Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the above link says "In many circuits, the current return path is designated as ground. "

i always thought the return path is the neutral wire in the 3 pin plug, and the earth wire is the one that is connected to the shield, and it is the earth wire that does the grounding for the electrical instrument. i am quite confused by what the above statement says, can someone pro in electricity please clarify?

DC not AC.
For audio we use DC not AC !!
The AC from you wall plug is converted to DC (eg guitar amp) first then it powers the works.

they should standardise the sockets world wide, lol

Haha I agree.... But then we have to explain why the world has not seen a day without war for a few thousand years before we can try to explain this socket phenomenon.

Face it la.... human just love differences cos it seperates the us from the them!

Anyway.. thanks for the info guys! ... tried moving my amp to another room and it sounds better.. can barely hear the radio signals. Think i still need the CAGE!

Arsony

Back