Help with bass strings gauge

ZiqBassist

Help me pls! Let me tell you my story,

The story goes like this. I bought my bass 2nd hand and I didnt know what the bass strings gauge were. At that point of time, there was only a fret buzz at the 2nd fret on the D string. Then as time passes, the strings get rusty and I decided to buy new strings. I didnt know the suitable bass string gauge and I didnt know it really matters so I just bought a cheap strings light gauge (40-95). After I put on the new strings, there was not only buzzing on the 2nd fret on the D string, there was alot of STRING BUZZ all over the fretboard except for near the body or higher frets!!! which annoys me. Then I lived with the strings and the buzzing and after a few months or so, I decided to give it to the shop and ask the shop to repair and change to a new string gauge medium (45-105). The shop (I do not want to mention), change the old light string to the medium gauge strings for me and he said that he needed to raise the action. When I went to collect back my bass guitar, I didnt really noticed much difference in the buzzing and the E string gets worst especially when I detuned my bass to drop D tuning.

Please help me to solve my problem and if possible, can anyone help me do it as I'm not good with these DIY stuff. I got a gig coming and really really need it fixed. Thank you

when u change strings especially gauges, u need to set-up yer bass again, u should learn to do this yourself. theres a lot of online resource that can guide u. from trust rod adjustment, intonation, pick up height, etc..etc..

or else u keep going down to stores to get it done and pay $45 every single time u change your string.

when u change strings especially gauges, u need to set-up yer bass again, u should learn to do this yourself. theres a lot of online resource that can guide u. from trust rod adjustment, intonation, pick up height, etc..etc..

or else u keep going down to stores to get it done and pay $45 every single time u change your string.

Well, the problem is, the shop already raise the action for me as he say this will reduce the buzzing but it gets kinda worse. Especially when I tune my bass to drop d. =(
I really dont know the solution. I'm using medium gauge strings. Do I have to change to heavy gauge strings to reduce the buzzing????

few things need to do if you drop D
1. change to heavy guage
2. might need to change nut
3. might need to file down frets

dropping down is very tricky, not all bass can handle it.

Well, the problem is, the shop already raise the action for me as he say this will reduce the buzzing but it gets kinda worse. Especially when I tune my bass to drop d. =(
I really dont know the solution. I'm using medium gauge strings. Do I have to change to heavy gauge strings to reduce the buzzing????

raising the action how? raising the nut? bridge? saddle? more relief on the neck? but high action play not shiok how?

got to reputable store and ask them to set-up for u with low action and pay the $$$ and than next time u can do yerself.

raising the action how? raising the nut? bridge? saddle? more relief on the neck? but high action play not shiok how?

got to reputable store and ask them to set-up for u with low action and pay the $$$ and than next time u can do yerself.

Ya, the high action play not shiok. I think he said he raise the saddles

Back