Help...PROBLEMS with my guitar.... please help...

Firstly, its a Eastwood GP. Here's the story: After a few months of owning the guitar, i decided to have a set up done because the last 2 strings weren't sitting nicely in the nut. But after the set up, i started to notice a few things.

1) The neck pickup isn't in line with the strings (I think).

2) There was fret buzz. The guy at the shop (I won't disclose which 1) told me my guitar has the ability to have the strings be set up very low without fret buzz. When i tried it at the shop, i didn't really notice it. But when i got home, i strummed the guitar without it being plugged in and i heard the dreaded buzz. I didn't want to go back to the same shop because i didn't think they would be able to remedy it.

3) The strings are still not sitting nicely in the nut. At the time i was collecting the guitar i was rushing for time... The last string looks like its about to come out completely from the nut...

4) After the set up, it just doesn't sound as sweet before. It's muddled/muffled at high gain (both pickups), and on cleans (both pickups), its just not as clear. Maybe its because of my tube amp, or the tube in my pedal. Really not sure what is causing this problem

Are there any places that provide really good setup? Preferably in the city hall area. But I'd be willing to travel further if the place is good. And i was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions to what is causing problem 4. Any help will be appreciated. This guitar is important to me so... yeah... Thanks for the taking the time read this.

1&3) Seems like you may need to get a a new nut, because your nut may have been cut wrongly

2) Perhaps you should bring it back to the guy you brought it to, and bring up the problem. And get him/her to do a proper setup FOC

4) Maybe you should adjust the height of the pickups.

You can try svguitars in peninsular plaza(not sure how they are but heard standard value,the parent shop at woodlands does a great job.) or you could go to lookforbeez and roxy square, highly repeutable and excellent job.

1) The neck pickup isn't in line with the strings (I think).
Thats pretty normal. Can you show some pics?

2) There was fret buzz. The guy at the shop (I won't disclose which 1) told me my guitar has the ability to have the strings be set up very low without fret buzz. When i tried it at the shop, i didn't really notice it. But when i got home, i strummed the guitar without it being plugged in and i heard the dreaded buzz. I didn't want to go back to the same shop because i didn't think they would be able to remedy it.

Try it with an amp. Usually, buzzing without plugging into an amp has no buzz when u plugged it into 1

3) The strings are still not sitting nicely in the nut. At the time i was collecting the guitar i was rushing for time... The last string looks like its about to come out completely from the nut...

Once again, pictures?

4) After the set up, it just doesn't sound as sweet before. It's muddled/muffled at high gain (both pickups), and on cleans (both pickups), its just not as clear. Maybe its because of my tube amp, or the tube in my pedal. Really not sure what is causing this problem

Might be the strings, pick up height. Lotsa stuff can be the cause of this.

Are there any places that provide really good setup? Preferably in the city hall area. But I'd be willing to travel further if the place is good. And i was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions to what is causing problem 4. Any help will be appreciated. This guitar is important to me so... yeah... Thanks for the taking the time read this.[/QUOTE]

Go to Beez. Hes at roxy square 2. Best person for setup job imho.

here are the pics. As you can see, the 1st and 2nd string aren't sitting all the way in the nut. sorry for the pic quality. as for the pickups: the neck pup compared to the bridge pup. u can see the neck pup is out of line. or issit suppose to be? And there seems to be gaps around the neck pickup (cos its slanted i think) compared to the bridge pup.

thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with your guitar imo. The pick up alignment to the strings are correct. The only problem is you/whoever did not restring it with enough turns. Please allow at least 6 turns with each string for maximum tuning stability and stuff.

There is nothing wrong with your guitar imo. The pick up alignment to the strings are correct. The only problem is you/whoever did not restring it with enough turns. Please allow at least 6 turns with each string for maximum tuning stability and stuff.

3 turns for the top three strings will do. As explained by Beez himself.

The only problem is you/whoever did not restring it with enough turns. Please allow at least 6 turns with each string for maximum tuning stability and stuff.

Three winds around the post is the generally accepted standard.

Enough winds to hold them well in place, even for the the plain strings.

Usually, I'd do a little knot for the plain-steels in addition to three winds, overkill, but just my personal preference.

Six winds, I don't know. Seems a bit too many, they will probably end up winding around the winds such that it's out of alignment. There's only so much space on the post.

You really don't need that many winds. Unless you want to do a BB King, then just wind the whole freaking string onto the post.

Back