Help on electronic drumsets

agkp123

Roland VS Yamaha, are they both overpriced ?
Personally, i prefer roland vdrums as they look appealing and sounds better. As for Yamaha, i had a really bad experience with their dtxplorer and so i dont really like it.

Due to space constrain, i had been eyeing on Roland HD-1 lite. However, it looks slightly overpriced for what it can produce imo(not sure about it so i hope someone with experience with it can tell me out).

Any recommended sets ? Basically, budget is <$2k including amps and stuffs. Thanks alot

Depends on personal preference I guess... I prefer Yamaha. Roland is way overpriced. Yamaha has better mid-priced drum kits like he DTXpress IV Special and the like, where the hi hat is on a real hi hat stand. Whereas for Roland, you need to spend a fortune to get that kind of electronic hi hat. Also, Roland usually uses mesh pads and mesh pads are much more bouncy than real drum heads, which means if you are too used to playing on it, all your chops will disappear if you go back to an acoustic kit. But mesh pads are quieter than rubber pads though, thats the online advantage Roland has over Yamaha IMO.
Roland's HD-1 is pure rip-off man. Does not even have a kick pad. Which means you can't use your own pedals with it. Also, the positioning of the pads suck. Module sucks too. For your your budget, if you don't mind your hi hat being just a pad and a remote pedal, I would recommend you check out Alesis. But for me, I would prefer stretching my budget and go for a mid to high end Yamaha. You can come over to my place to try out my DTXpress IV if you want but fix a time with me in advance. As for Roland, try the Silent Jamming Studio in Esplanade Library, its $5 per hour. :D Hope these info helped! Can contact me at 91397041 if you have any questions.

Oh did I mention, you can buy extra pads and expand Yamaha electronic drum kits, up to 4 extra for mine, which I plan to add 2 toms, 1 splash and 1 china, which makes my kit a 7 piece drum set up, with 1 hi hat, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, 1 china. The drum rack which comes with the Yamaha kits are much better and has more room for expansion. Roland racks are crap.

Sorry man I'm quite biased towards Roland cos they're way too overpriced for their quality.

Thank you so much Albatross.
Even though you are biased towards Roland, but i thought mesh pad were supposed to have a more "real" feel compared to rubber pads ?
And for me, it's more of the SPACE constrain, not budget wise. Budget can be forced to go up (if i want to).

Anyway, regarding jamming studios, is there any jamming studio which just offers drum itself ? Rather than standard jamming studio which its purpose is for band jamming. Cause I would like to go to a studio to practice but the normal studios just cost too much.

No problem :D Hmm for me, mesh pads are more comfortable to play on and are "easier" to play because it feels as if the stick is being thrown back at you. Real drums do not have that much rebound. Rubber pads are closer to real drums IMO. Granted, its slightly uncomfortable to play on because your stick vibrates like free after hitting, but this can solved with Anti-vibe sticks which will last you forever because rubber cymbals and rims won't eat your stick up. Whats more, you're supposed to feel impact when you hit the drum, which Roland fails at because the mesh actually absorbs the shock.
This is just my opinion though, what I suggest is you try it out and see what you prefer. Electronic drum kits last long and are pretty low maintenance (no need change/polish cymbals, no need change skin, no need to buy new drumsticks every few weeks), and you won't have neighbours/family members stopping you from playing due to noise. Just try before buying ANYTHING whenever possible, its your own hard earned money you're spending and you want every cent to be worthwhile. I'm still studying and I've been saving hard to buy a DTXpress IV Special which costs $2500+, and I'm only 18. I get only $50 a week so I'm very careful on spending money, I always ensure I am completely satisfied with the product before buying. I would recommend you to try these few steps I take before buying any music equipment:
1. Search online for prices and user reviews. Amazon is a good place to read reviews. Magazine reviews can be trusted too, but not completely cos they're paid to advertise the product and make you buy it.
2. Narrow down your searches to a few models which fit your criteria and you're interested in.
3. Check out who are the official distributors (because only they can offer warranty).
4. Go down to the shop and try it yourself if possible.
5. Make sure you're covered in everyway.
6. Or if you don't mind second hand, keep an eye out for good deals.

But don't let me deter you from Roland. If you really like it a lot, follow your guts and go for it. Roland is not completely bad, but for the price, you'll expect a lot better, or at least an extra cymbal like Yamaha. Even Pearl's E-live kit is cheaper than a Roland.

Oh yeah, space constraints. Roland definitely fits your criteria more, but of course won't offer a realistic drum kit setup and acoustic drums won't be able to be positioned so close together.

Jamming studio wise, I only know of Anaki who rents drums-only studios, but the price is about the same as a normal jamming studio so might as well go normal studios. Moreoever, I don't like Anaki cos they won't tell you the time is up, they'll just let you realise you overshot your timeslot and charge you extra (even if its 10mins), something which I don't like. Imagine going for a massage where the masseuse just keep massaging you non-stop and keep quiet even though your time is up, and then charge you extra. Not very honest here.

Just keep in mind, must try before you buy, cos such things are subjective.

I made a choice before shifting into our new house which had a smaller room. I decided that I shall sacrifice my bed to make space for a drum kit. So I threw away my bed, reserved a spot in the room for my drum kit, and sleep on a single-mattress instead. Now that I bought my kit, I still have to move the drum throne away at night so I can put down my mattress to sleep. Thats my love for drums, I can live without a bed, just to make space for a drum kit. Pictures of my room up in a few mins.

This was my "setup" before I bought an electronic kit. It was just a practice pad on a snare stand, a kick pad, and Pearl Elims double pedals.
sam4329.jpg

sam4324v.jpg

Now, this is how my room look like:
sam4328.jpg

sam4327.jpg

sam4326.jpg

sam4325v.jpg

sam4320.jpg

Picture 2: Check out those guitars on top of the shelf!
Picture 4: See how my mattress still gets into my drum territory?
Picture 5: Yup, the top of the cupboard is where I store my snare drum, drum throne box, Pearl Elims box etc etc.
As I said, I saved up to buy everything on my own, did not wanna spend my parents money. This goes to show that with determination you can achieve anything :D My first electric guitar which costed $395 took a year, when I used to have a daily allowance of $6.

Last edited:
Haha thanks man, anyone can do it! Just need determination. And a supportive girlfriend to keep you under control when you feel like splurging your money on that sexy snare drum :D
Oh ya, if you want a sound sample, go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YI7vQ3ju6k Its me playing Arlandria by the Foo Fighters. Not perfect but yeah haha. Somehow the drums I played can only be heard on the left channel though, I forgot to set to stereo when I recording in Logic.

Last edited:
Awesome! Your room is really crampy but you made good use of it. Well, for me, actually have quite alot of space, but it's whether my parents willing to let me get it, as in because i dont have a room of my own, i gotta place the drums in the living room.
And same as you, if i buy, i wouldnt use my parents money.

Yeah haha. Actually is the huge table and cupbooard and shelf that take up a lot of space or my room will be more spacious. I see... Try to convince them! The 3 C's of being successful:
Convince: Try to talk them into it.
Confuse: If they are very firm, make them confused and while they're confused, get them to agree.
Con: If all else fails, trick them.

Just kidding! Hmm just tell them that if you buy electronic you can easily fold it up and put it in a corner when not using, maybe they'll agree... But do get a carpet though, preferably thick, so that the neighbours directly 1 level below you won't complain about the bass drum. And it'll help stop the bass drum from moving when you play. :D And will protect your floor from potential scratches too! Don't get Ikea ones though, they're hard to clean. Get those small square ones that people use to put in kindergarten floors etc. Then can attach the velcro.

I'm a living-room-electronic-drummer once before too.

Play it when they're not around, or plug an amp or drum monitor to let (hopefully) your parents enjoy you grooving away. :)

And yes, the carpet. Especially irritating when your kick trigger pad moves away.

Hey Schtauffen, any cheap and good drum amps to recommend? I wanted the Yamaha MS50DR initially but it costs $637+, after discount $500+, but I heard that it sounds muddy at low volume. What amp did you use last time and how was it?

I use headphones. Didn't bother or have the money for amps/monitors. :p

You should check out my room too. Space-less room. LIKE A BOS...BEDROOM DRUMMER!

I see... I'm currently using headphones too but sometimes wanna have a small jam with friends then cannot hear :(
Haha bedroom drummers ftw! Maybe in addition to DrumXchange we can have TipsXchange-for-bedroom-drummers.

Lame jokes aside, do you happen to have any experience with any drum speakers, or recommend any shop in Singapore? Alvin from Musiclab recommended the Laney AH-100 but couldn't find it on SweeLee and there aren't other licensed dealers in SG...

Jealous much haha, my neighbours already complain when I use a HQ Practice Pad during the afternoon. They say it interrupts their tv show. Worst thing is, my block is a mansionette blocl, my room is on the second floor of the unit, their living room is on the first floor of the unit. But they've stopped every since I gave them 2 of my unused Apple earpiece. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Your neighbour is sure easy to "bribe". 2 Apple earpiece can do the job.
Actually my parents wouldnt stop me from buying it, it's just whether they will be happy after i buy it. Just sort of waiting for them to accept the idea for me to get a drumset.
Hopefully my neighbours wouldnt complain, we had been neighbours for at least 5years.

Anyway, does playing with the electronic set produce loud "thug" sound ? Like i have a remo practice pad, and it is damn loud, regret buying it. Very hard to practice at night.

The remo pad is louder than the yamaha pads, 'cause you can convert it into an actual "tom" if you remove the padding below the skin according to some drummers from overseas forums.

Yeah haha, luckily I didn't waste money on Etymotics for them. Hmm the sound isn't really loud except the bass drum. The Remo one is super loud! I'm using a HQ Realfeel, now called Evans RealFeel, and its very soft. The Yamaha electronic drum pads are slightly louder but not like the Remos. Its louder than the HQ by a bit and is slightly more "resonant". Sounds hollower in a sense.

Back