HELP me pls... Fret buzz problem...

daslasher375

Hi need help on this

a brief intro abt me, I'm a lead guitarist and currently using my 70% trustworthy axe an SX les paul copy, I play blues, heavy blues, rocknroll, hard rock, and abit of metal. So i played for almost 4 yrs and studied alot abt guitar, esp techniques and fixtures towards a guitar. I had not been to luthiers to fix my guitar as this guitar is cheap and gonna get a new one soon.

Firstly i used to use Ernieball Super Slinky strings, gauge 9 strings and had no problem with it but had slight buzzing of the 2nd and 1st strings at the 3rd fret. I used a D'addario normal gauge 10 before that also had slight buzz problems. after my super slinky strings snapped, i changed back to gauge 10 regular slinky.

Th big problem was that my 6th, 5th and 4th string had buzz problems from the first to the 10th fret. 6th string was a monster!!! Whereas my 3rd to 1st strings were fine. So i decided to counter the buzz. So i read that if i loosened the truss rod abit, it will help. I did but didn't help as i did not want to loosen it too much as it was already quite warped.

I also read that increasing the action might also help.So i tightened the tune-o-matic saddles for the low E (6th) string as that string was like a retarded bumble bee (F***) and it helped abit. So i got agitated and I loosened the screw on the left side (nearer to 6th string) and therefore increasing the height of the left side of the tune o matic increasing the action of the last 3 strings. And it helped.

I retuned and still there is a very slight buzz. Not too much of a problem. I lowered the height of the right side decreasing action of the first 3 strings and therefore i got a heavy top light bottom tension. It is now ok but i don't really know that this was the right thing to do. Anyway there is still slight buzzes hear n there at the last 3 strings. So having my tune o matic slanted was pretty weird but it helps. And i wonder whether there are better solutions to such problems and whether what i did was the right thing to do? so help me pls...

u need to send for fret levelling thats all, assuming that the frets are not worn down. if they are den bo pian need to re-fret

Last edited:
agreed cos i realized the low e string touches the frets when i tab any fret from 1st to 10th the others quite ok, if fret leveling how much leh? u noe?

Back