Help: Going nowhere with practice

Anirudh

hey guys, been quite some time since i posted.

well i need lots of guidance for this.

I've been playing the guitar for about3.5 years now and i categorize myself as an average player since i was mostly self taught.

now i want to take the next step. and improve myself.

on my to do list are:

1) build up my pathetic speed (AKA Shred)

2) strengthen my sloppy 16thnotes and alternate picking.

so if anyone could be kind enough to give me specific exercises to practice on improving my speed/ picking technique.

you can send me GP files too (im using GP 5).

right now im just learning songs and that is bringing me nowhere imo.

you know when i watched download festival 2007 on TV last night and i saw all the lead guitarists playing those solos i went "i wanna play like that". SO please guys, help me get there.

i have almost nil theory knowledge too and i know almost nuts about scales. any info on that would be very very helpful too.

cheers and thanx in advance

What goals do you set yourself for the long and short term?
How often do you practice?
What do you practice?
Where do you practice? Are you focused or watching the TV at the same time?

Its is good to practise runing notes with a metronome. Maybe you can buy a good one from a shop.

As for lines to shred, there are many examples in various songs. Search for metal bands and their songs on ultimate guitar. There should be examples during the solos. Start out slow at 25% then move on to faster bpm when you think you can handle it faster without going sloppy.

Search youtube for some instructional vids by john petrucci etc on some instructions and warm up excersies with metronomes

Take Lessons....

Find a good teacher.. it's always better when you have someone listening to you and guiding you.. You'll improve must faster.. and when you become better than the teacher.. get a new one...hahaha

use the scales tool in GP5, memorize the scales, then practice them non stop, around 2-3 hours a day until you can shred them. Then start adding phrasing to those scales.

What goals do you set yourself for the long and short term?
How often do you practice?
What do you practice?
Where do you practice? Are you focused or watching the TV at the same time?

my long/short term golas have already been listed. i wanna be able to shred and know my way around the fretboard.

i practice everyday now coz i just finished my A-levels and i have till spet before uni term starts.

so i hvae like practically 8 months of nothingness.

i practice infront of my com lah, with the GP Tab infront of me..so i believe distraction is not a problem

use the scales tool in GP5, memorize the scales, then practice them non stop, around 2-3 hours a day until you can shred them. Then start adding phrasing to those scales.

hey could you direct me to where these scales tools are?

PS: there was once this 90+mb file which had practically all GP Tabs from ultimate guitar..and one of the folders was full of instructional tabs.

if anyone still has that big folder...can you PM me pls :p

hey and stranger12, taking lessons is out of the question coz i just moved to the UK 2 monts back and i have no clue where to go and stuff. and paying in pounds doesnt help out much either haha

Scales function in gp5 is under Tools > Scales

I got the folder, but I don't know how to zip it up and send, sorry :x I think you can still dl it off bittorrent or something.

hmmm ok thanx...

its very easy to zip, just right-click on the folder and click "Compress to XXXXX"

then if you could be very nice and upload it onto some webite like yousendit or so, i'll be indebted

nonetheless i'll look out for it on torrent sites

what does instructional teach? I would like a copy too if possible x.x

How do you use the scale thing , tons of alphabets came out onto the fretboard, which do i follow x.x

Last edited:
Yeah.. But you should be willing to fork out if music is a passion..
No point spending thousands on equipment when you have no idea how to play..
P.S: I'm not saying the threadstarter has no idea how to play though!

dude you'll need money not just because of music but cause we live in this little island called singapore.without money you are as good as dead.

hey guys, sorry was busy the past 2 days thats why i didnt post.

haha nope, no NS for me Madwerewolf bro. I cancelled my singapore PRship.

and guys,

getting a teacher is not an option for me now, coz im still new in town and i dunno who/where to approach.

anyway THANX A LOT IKIRU for uploading ht tabs....downloading them right now :):)

so what im doing now is practising chromatic scales up and down, alternate picking, and with string skips and pattern variations

and once im comfortable with the tempo, im raising it by 10bpm. is this a correct method to improve technique/speed?

thanx

I think that's good.

You can try playing along to the guitar pro files too, live practice to keeping in time :)
I think it's nice to improvise scales with the help of a backing track also, there's alot of ways to improve.

THere's alot of people you can approach, try the teacher's available/wanted forum below?

Latest posts

Back