Guitar tuners

Why strobes? What matters most for tuners? Accuracy and Fast tracking.

The Peterson strobe tuners do those the fastest. 0.01 cent accuracy.

Compare that to a Boss TU-2's +/- 0.3 cent accuracy.
Korg DT-10's +/- 0.1 cent accuracy.

Yeah, true, more of us can't hear more than that... but thats the way to go for intonation especially. Malcom has a Peterson Strobe tuner, and he intonates with that.

Also, an interesting thing I've read up... being more in tune increases sustain, as there is less frequency cancellation amongst strings. I need to research more before I put my foot down on that, and buy a Strobostomp!

DarknessFury said:
ShredCow said:
For what? If your current tuner has a detune/flatten capability, which it should have since you said the LCD has a # sign, and you always play in Standard Tuning, you don't need a chromatic tuner.

theblueark: Computers are electronics, so are tuners...but food is not...so it's totally different...and besides, installing and repairing are totally different things.

Bro hes stating an analogy leh. You not reading in context.....

anyway simple way. look at your tuner does it even have a section where a # lights up?? if not thn get chromatic tuner and you dun need a strobo. a $20 odd dollar intelitouch will be just fine.

anyway for those who are intereseted, a little fact. the guitar is inherently out of tune, tempered tuning, so that you can play in any key reasonably out of tune so you dun have to retune everytime u wanna play in a different key. thats the rough gist.

found this on a quick google

http://www.guitarnotes.com/notes/noteget.cgi?temperament
http://timberens.com/essays/tuning.htm

go read =)

Bro hes stating an analogy leh. You not reading in context.....

anyway simple way. look at your tuner does it even have a section where a # lights up?? if not thn get chromatic tuner and you dun need a strobo. a $20 odd dollar intelitouch will be just fine.[/quote]

I know but what he means...but I want to take his words literally...heat of the moment thing...I don't take it to heart though...

There's no way I'm getting a strobo...not at this point of time...I'm not even thinking of a DT-10, lol...just want that Korg chromatic one...'coz it words by wire...I don't know why but I like wire ones...lol...

Ok...I got a Belcat chromatic tuner recently...I was just wondering if I need to press the b when I'm on tuning half step down? I mean...I'm like, tuning the 6th string which is D# but do I still need to press the b?

The manual doesn't say anything about half step down tuning...lol...they never do...I've tried the Ebs...but they sound a little different from the D#s...what's more...it can input up to 4 bs...

I'll list out the chromatic scale for you

A
A# / Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D# / Eb
E
F
F# / Gb
G
G# / Ab

Those in bold are the standard naming conventions.

For each b you see on your tuner, drop half a step.

E.g. D add 4 x b = Bb

Refer to the chromatic scale.

actually u dun even need to chromatic to down tune. if u want drop D.

just tune to standard pitch the low E instead of the 5th fret being the same pitch as the A string the 7 now is the same pitch to get D. Get it? thn if u want to tuen to D just tune all the other strings in reference to the D.

Learnin the chromatic scale is one of the most basic things you need to know actually, helps alot. Hope this helps.

anyway if you want to tune half step down from your normal EADGBe.

it nows becomes D#,G#C#,F#,A#,D#.

Like what shred showed, B to C and E to F doesnt contain sharps. so a half step from B will be C.

Alright cool...thanks ciel and shred for your help...I needed that scale as well...hehe...=D

Erm, shredcow...about the scale...so I just need to put 1 b for E to make it go to Eb?

DarknessFury said:
Erm, shredcow...about the scale...so I just need to put 1 b for E to make it go to Eb?

Yes.

DarknessFury said:
Ok ok...so if I wanna tune from EADGBE to D# G# C# F# A# D#...I don't have to put any bs right?

Yeap, you have to, your tuner only has the b function, no #.

You have to put:
Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

which is the same as:
D# G# C# F# A# D#

up till now i have no idea wat that b button is abt if its chromatic you wont have to push anything ya?

Eh. Just look for a button called FLAT if there is one and press it once. Then tune as per normal to EADGBE (as on the display). Your guitar will come out Eb. Or you can try to just tune it to D#/Eb without flatting the tuner. Some tuners can't do that tho. My strobostomp is set permanently to Eb so when I tune E standard guitars, E will show as F, A will show as A# etc. Quite amusing.

the simplest thing is to leave it as stock... and then tune.

Why would you want to tune to Eb anyway?

Sorry.... just wondering... I've never tuned to Eb...

Back