Guitar necks

DarknessFury

I've searched the forum already...but my question ain't answered...anyone knows which shop sells guitar necks other than Guitar Connection?

Guitar Hospital? Beside Sinemax? I'm guessing only...

But what kind of neck do you want?

You like going round in circles modding your axe when you can get a battleaxe leh. :wink:

Erm...what kind of neck I want ar...I want a strat type of neck, haha...I'm not sure if it's a neck problem or it might be just me...I find my hands not changing chords smooth enough whereas when I tried my friend's guitar, it was an Epi Special II...I could change chords faster...

The money I've spent on modding me axe cannot buy a Fender strat yet la...haha...

But at least you're starting to find the answer to the question: What's the difference between a cheap guitar and an expensive one.

After all the modding, one day you'll find that you have a completely new guitar in your hands and every single part of the guitar you have now in a cardboard box.

From what you've just said... I would strongly recommend you do NOT spend the money.

Its easily a couple hundred for a neck.

And besides, its likely you just don't have enough practice too.

Seriously, changing chords, if you can do it well on 1 guitar, you can do it well on EVERY other guitar. Unless your other guitar has a 34 inch neck scale.

And also, your guitar neck, is it lacquered like the Epi's? If not, then your statement makes less sense, because a lacquered neck feels more sticky than a satin/natural finished neck like your guitar.

Er, blueark...I don't think so...haha...the body's probably the only part I'd have left...looks like my guitar should be called Frankenstein...

Oh yes, I forgot...that Epi's neck was changed too...it did give off that shiny effect...and was I in for a rude shock when I thought that harmless neck at GC would cost around 110 or something, the guy told me it was 300 plus, haha...

For me, my Ibanez Saber... lemme see whats still stock.

1) Neck, fretboard, Headstock..
2) Body, finish...
3) Electronics cavity cover...

Thats it.

Everyhting else has been changed.

But its an MIJ Ibanez, so in a way, it "justifiable" you know? (yes, I know, I should have gotten a JEM... hahaha!)

Make a guess.

Its 4 digits.

Now you know why I'm telling you that you are going in circles? Some things, just go straight to the point, don't tread the path I did, its too costly despite having learnt a lot firsthand.

What?! 4 digits?! Probably enough for no more than 2 fender strats? Looking at all the advices, I think I'd just go for 2 more mods...the headstock tuners and the saddles then that's it...I'm not modding this baby again...

And I think I'm finally getting my answer to that cheapo vs expensive question...

But why buy a Fender? ;) Its my preference... could never get used to many parts of a Fender's design, and tone.

However, I've come to realise my Saber happens to be a good buy. Thank God that time I choose my S520EX, there were only 2 of them. 1 hanging in the display, 1 in store. I was a noob that 3 yrs back. So just asked for the packed one loh. And great! I happened to get a guitar that resonants extremely well and its very loud. Louder than my RG7621, fixed bridge.

I've spent like... 2k over? Changed tuners (for what!? Locking nut, duh), trems changed twice, electronics COUNTLESS times, pups like 18 times, strap locks, 2 setups (after which I gave up going to techs) and a super uber cool refret by Malcom.

After all that modding and spending, I've learnt what's more essential than the others... and some choices that didn't have to be made in the first place. :p

In anycase, don't forget to change your nut. Its some plastic crap there now right? Change that first, top priority. Cheap too, like $50 tops for a bone nut.

Why buy a Fender? Lol...because it's the company that first produced strat shapes, haha...or maybe I'm wrong...but man, you changed your pickups 18 times?! Which pickups did you change? Lol...but for me...I love my JB so much, I don't think I wanna change it...

But my tuner is actually metal...but the fustrating thing is that sometimes it manages to stay in tune for a really long time, but sometimes it goes off like 2 or 3 weeks later...

DarknessFury said:
, you changed your pickups 18 times?! Which pickups did you change? Lol...but for me...I love my JB so much, I don't think I wanna change it...

Figure of speech. ;) Its probably closer to 12.

Well, I'm sure there's always better out there. Some where. Being satisfied with one's gear isn't easy when you've been exposed to really good stuff.

therefore. I'll like to invite you to try out my HAS Sound Viper. :twisted: Drop by my place in Tampines when you are free...

DarknessFury said:
But my tuner is actually metal...but the fustrating thing is that sometimes it manages to stay in tune for a really long time, but sometimes it goes off like 2 or 3 weeks later...

Thats true. It wouldn't be able to handle blues or jazz. You need composite tuners... so they will be able to handle various types of genres.

Okay okay OKAY!
I'm kidding about the tuners. :p

Staying in tune for 2 - 3 weeks is very good. Check the nut. Its also a cause of tune instability.

ShredCow said:
Staying in tune for 2 - 3 weeks is very good. Check the nut. Its also a cause of tune instability.

Oh...so that bascially just leaves me with just needing to change the saddles...I'm starting to see tiny ugly brown dots on it...

bin4christ, you got a second hand neck for just 20?! Man...you lucky sod...

Ah. Darkness. There's a reason to change things lah.

The Nut is a cheap upgrade that will help stability, esp when bending/using trem/tuning.. plus its cheap. Non-invasive (usually) to the wood of your guitar.

I don't understand why change the saddles? It makes more sense to change the WHOLE TREM. Unless you tell me your trem is every bit as good as a real Fender 6-point trem or Wilkinson. Or your strings always break @ the saddles... which can just use fine sandpaper to smoothen the kinks.

Why not go grab some rust remover, read the instructions and get osme rust off your saddles?

You already know your guitar is a beginner axe... spend hte money saving.

And a $20 neck might be really great quality, or a poor quality one.

Sorry for the digression, din want to start a new thread.

Anybody got any idea whether any shops selling fender decal?

Back