Guide on changing Pickups

FPaulLes

Hi guys, I'm changing my pickups soon on my les paul and I wish to know what equipments are used on changing pickups? Any web site that teaches the whole process? I watched some but I still don't understand. Thanks

Lets see

best to do on bed or something soft if you have no proper
guitar workstation

Loosen string tension so strings don't block removal of pickups
flip guitar around so the back is facing up
remove electronics cover
unsolder the existing pickup wires
flip guitar around again
remove pickup mounting rings with pickup
remove pickup from mounting rings

install is reverse of above procedure

so u prob need
screwdrivers ( small philips + flat head one )
wire cutter ( to cut shielding from new pickup wires )
soldering iron
maybe desoldering wick / sucker
maybe cloth to cover body while doing operation

thats about it.

sim lim tower is the answer to all your electronic desires. but i know most hardware stores have them. prices vary. china made, japan made etc. i got mine for just under 20 i believe. remember, its the electric one, not butane. butane irons will probably kill stuff.

What type of harware shop you are talking about? DIY HomeFIZ type or those old old shop in the neighbourhood?

i know for sure homefix and those chains do carry, those in the neighborhood i cant confirm, the one in mine does have as well. best just give it a shot. no harm if its nearby no?

Haha, I have a few hardware shops near my house. What do you call that in chinese?? HAHA That time I went to buy autosol for my guitar, they don't even know what is that. I have to search it myself to find it.

Soldering

You can go to sim lim tower and look around. It cost about 12-15 bucks for a 'Goot' brand soldering iron. From Japan if i remember correctly. I prefer the pencil kind to the gun shaped ones.

Get a 40w iron so that you can solder the wire to the back of the pots. Smaller wattage and it wont heat the pot fast enough for you to solder effectively.

Also get some flux (soldering paste-that waxy kinda thing in a small round tin) to make the soldering smoother as it flow better onto the part. Thin (the process of applying solder to the individual parts before soldering them together) all the parts first, including the pot.

Like ratboy mentioned, get some desoldering wick.

Get a soldering stand with the sponge.

You might also want to get some kind of movable arm thing to hold things in place while you solder. I improvise and use some masking tape but an arm-like device would work. They sell that kind of thing with two arms and a magnifying glass in the centre (havn't used before though, arm looks kinda short).

Have a lamp around for better visibility. Again, those arm kind will be good.

Wear eye protection. Sometimes accidents happen. Like maybe the wire wasnt held in place properly and it spring off throwing some solder in your face.

A tip on soldering. Heat the part you want to solder and apply solder on the heated part. Some make the mistake of heating the solder and trying to wipe or drip the melted solder onto the part.

Use some spare wire and practice soldering to the back of a spoilt pot first. Thats the limiting factor for beginners. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Soon you'll graduate to doing other things. When you start to do amps, call me. I'll get you to build one!

HAHAHA thanks bro. But I don't think I have time to go to sim lim. I've a lot of homework. Can you post some pictures of your stuff? I can show to those hardware aunties and uncles. They don't understand english and I don't know how to say all this in chinese.

Anyway, am I supposed to solder the tone pots? Or just the volume pots? I wil post some pictures and please help me!

HAHA, maybe he will slap me. anyway this is the picture of my les paul

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

So I'm supposed to un-solder all 4 pots?? I just heat the new pickup's wire and put it on the pot?

les pauls wiring is a tad bit chimology for the rookie repairman, suggest you try on a bargain basement guitar thn on yourprized instrument

when you get more expirience you can try on yr les paul

stewmac has good tips - get the stewmac dan erlewine guitar repair book

yeah, for lp's bring it to your fav guitar tech, perhaps he could teach you a thing or two as well.

im surprised fgl didnt go "get some _____ get some."

You are very much better off learning how to change pickups from someone more experienced.

In any case, what you need generally:
Soldering iron
Soldering Stand (A metal can holder can suffice)
Wet Sponge
Multimeter
Screwdrivers
Wire stripper or Wire cutter
Solder

Optional:
Fan (to blow away lead fumes)
Flux
Desoldering wick/Sucker (you usually need it)

Google and read up. Soldering can be a topic all by itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering
http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm

I think the seymour duncan website has a guide on pickup replacement.
Theres a vid there for those who wanna change pickups for they're les paul

Try talking to Anthony from G77, Raymond from Luthermusic or Beez from Ebenex. They repair guitars and may be willing to let you sit in and watch them do their work. (Which then you might as well also get them to resolder your guitar in the process.)

oh that's cool. But do you think I'm able to change my own pickups?? By looking at that picture. Is it complicated?

Latest posts

Back