Good Beginner´s Guitar

Dawn

icon_cool.gif
hi subversion =) here´s my opinion of da Ibanez GSA-60.

Mine´s Made in Indonesia.

It´s a pretty well made guitar for that price, Great workmanship for a guitar this price! The maple neck was a plus point (supa smooth
icon_biggrin.gif
)

It´s a pretty Low-action guitar, thin and pretty small neck. Great for ppl lookin for a fast playin guitar. Has da 1-1-2 pickup with the humbucker at da bridge.

I find the pick-ups sad
icon_frown.gif
I don´t know if it´s juz mine but the single coils are weak, hardly any difference when choosin between the two single-coil pick-ups. The humbucker was so-so...the most responsive.

Basic Volume knob, Tone knob and a 5-way pick-up switch.

O yea, one thing to note...pls avoid usin da Tremolo... it´ll detune ur guitar pretty easily.

Summary

- Crappy pick-ups on mine...i only use da humbuckers (bcos dat´s da onli one dat sounds decent enuff)

- Super nice neck =) MAPLE rules!
icon_cool.gif

- Very low-action (watch out for fret-buzzin)

- Cutaway at top annoys me when i play it while sittin down... hard pointy thing pokin against my chest
icon_mad.gif

- Good workmanship for this price! 5/5 for finishing n quality (Budget guitar)

Hope it helps,

Cheers
icon_cool.gif

hey, thanks for the word up...

the GSA60 is a decent unit. the curved body is a plus at this price! anyway, if you set up the trem to float a little & keep the nut lubricated well, you´ll find the trem to be a workable piece of hardware there!

to the others- do share your experience with budget instruments here.

cheers

Hi guys. IMO Ibanezes are the fastest necks i´ve played. Slim and sexy wizards are great. Just too bad i think that they more metal sounding. I like Strat sounds more cuz i love RHCP.

As u say beginner guitar mah so beginners don´t really look for much pickup sounds. (Big mistake though) However hard to find a cheap one with great pickups. But then some budget pickups are really good, like some nameless ones. I have some QM1 N QM2 on my Epi LP and it´s not bad.

I play a 2002 LP given to me by my cousin. It´s not bad, very classy lookin. All LPs are classy so may not appeal to those newbies, and it´s hard to keep it polished. I have so many scratches on mine.....

Les Pauls suck in the tuner department. Their tuners MUST be changed quickly no matter WHAT! Cuz it can´t stay in tune after like 3 songs! And that is TROUBLE!

Pickups leave something to be desired too as the distortion doesn´t sound really good (never trust those patented pickups. U´re just buyin a BRAND.)

Thanks for readin. Hope there´s more action here!

it really depends on which pickups are in an Ibanez to make it ´metal´. anyway, the manufacturer don´t intend for these to be ´metal´... but they sound harsh so the metal association is inevitable
icon_lol.gif

about those Q humbuckers (Quantum), these came default in the S-series Ibanez, having own 2 S540s, i don´t have anything fantastic to say about these humbuckers. these were once revered humbuckers, manufactured by Dimarzio for Ibanez but over the years, they lose their appeal not to mention the performance standard. i doubt if Dimarzio has a hand in the production of these units now...

i hear you about the gibson machine heads- notoriously unstable. everytime i bend a note- outta tune
icon_rolleyes.gif
i have shelved my LP Studio since the acquisition of my PRS. i still have not gotten over the fact that the McCarty humbuckers are such fantastic units!!
icon_razz.gif

hey, bro, try the GHS Guitar Gloss for your polishing needs. a non-wax based cream polish suitable for all finish, even good for hardware.

Haha i´m usin the D´Andrea guitar polish cuz it smells nice.
icon_lol.gif
I just think i should have gone the Strat path cuz i like clean and bright tones more.....but then i´m a newbie so open to any comments.....

PRS!!! Whoa rich man. HOw much did THAT baby cost? I´m so JEALOUS.....

ALso never heard of MacCarty Humbuckers.....and not very interested since i can live with my LP sound.....just wanna change my tuners and nut.........quick.......

ALso i think i wanna change my pickups to p-90s. Hehh heh. I like RHCP sound, but what other pickups give that sound? THanks man.

Hello KJ
icon_cool.gif
that McCarty cost me $3,480. after considering a 2nd LP, i decided to opt for the McCarty instead. great tones from this one, mainly attributable to the overall construction & pickups...

hey, my LP sports a pair of P-90s. it´s the discontinued GEM series. anyway i swapped the bridge P-90 for a humbucker- Dimarzio DLX Plus. the neck still sports the stock gibson P-90 though...
icon_smile.gif

!!! WAnna sell that humbucker baby??? Or u got any more pickups to sell? I´m always interested in pickups.

i have one other pickup for sale- the Duncan Distortion (neck), very new. used it for <2 weeks only...

he he
icon_cool.gif
that P-90 is for keeps. in fact, i wonder how it´ll fit your guitar´s humbucker route
icon_confused.gif
check Dimarzio´s virtual P-90 series pickup if you are still intersted
icon_cool.gif

Back