Gigs in Singapore - what you like to see?

What kinda bands would you like to see in a gigs

• Bands play Original only but without a album

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bands play Original only but with a album

• Bands play 50% originals and 50% cover

• Bands play cover only

• Total voters

bernardgoh

Hi everyone, What kinda bands would you like to see in a gigs? do you feel that bands with a album in the market is better to watch then a bands without a album? i'm just wondering how can a music lover know whether he/she is spending the money worth when the bands in a gigs doesn't have any album or song in the market for the listeners? Just a little curious on these question and would like to see what the people in singapore think? for me, i won't mind spending my $15-$20 buying the cd but not 30mins - 1 hours wasting my time watching the bands in the gigs. what do you think? Just Curious only.... don't flame me. :)

bands that are true to themselves. it doesn't help for most bands to put up something that feels fake to others.

Thanks... great answer.... :) anything else.... think our comment would be good here cause it would actually let the gigs organiser and bands see what people really think about the local scene and how can we make it a better scene for everyone. not just the bands or organiser, the listener/gig goers play a big part too in the music scene. Once you don't have the demands, you can't supply. :)

from my experience, people prefer bands covering time-honoured classics than their originals.

organisers have to strive towards professionalism too. I've endured lots of gigs that start late, lousy sound and such.

so for yourself, you like bands covering time-honoured classics too? and which gigs organiser so far you think is quite professional in singapore? maybe can give some views to the organiser what the need to do to strive towards professionalism. :)

depends on whether the originals are my cup of tea. good music is good music.

as for the organisers, I feel that heartrock is the benchmark. aspiring organizers could attend their gigs to pick up some tips.

Personally i'd like to see 50% cover 50% original, with a majority of the music inclined to instrumental rock. Seldom see anyone playing instrumentals at gigs. I think it'll really be nice to watch if they do more of it :)

few more question, do you guys think playing cover help to pull the crowds? is it healthy for the local scene for bands to play cover in a gigs?

Aey thanks Vaiyen for that kind comment. There are many I cannot measure up to, and moreover different gigs have their own unique flavour. My only hope is to do more gigs for you people in 2005.

last night i was the the Janis Ian concert (Esplanade Recital Studio). It was just Janis with her guitar. It was a great show! Her voice is so beautiful and her lyrics are so touching. It is like she is singing to you her life.

Thing is, you need to have good performer to make the show good. Our local performers need to work more on this. Watch more dvds, mtv, concerts and see what works.

http://www.janisian.com

man_kidal said:
I would like to see pyrotechnics in live shows like in Rammstein concerts. yeah, that's bout it.

oh u mean wearing a flamethrower mask? Rammstein rocks lah....

band members wearing weird costumes instead of the usual band shirt and casual wear.

or probably some weird head gear to showcase some creativity :p

mmm..... i know it would be good if there's good performers and great visual effect for the gigs but can our local gigs organiser afford to play the bands or the set designs/lighting? if the audience is not going to gigs, gig organisers can't pay the bands/rental. and if bands don't get paid, it wouldn't be fair to them cause they put in their effort. questions now. :) how can bands get gigs in singapore?
1. because they know the gigs organiser
2. they organise gigs themself
3. because they got a album in the market so they got engage on many gigs
4. they are very well known in the scene.

how can gigs organiser get the crowd in? by getting good preformers? :?:

bernardgoh said:
few more question, do you guys think playing cover help to pull the crowds? is it healthy for the local scene for bands to play cover in a gigs?

IMO, you need a balance between covers and originals.
The covers are to hold the audience's attention, while the band 'sells' the originals to them.

Think of it this way, you get a very nice plasma tv but there's nothing to watch. Or you get a small 14-inch bedroom TV and you have access to all the coolest program available. I would awe at the plasma for a while and then turn it off cause there's nothing to watch.

Audience want to be entertained. If they want it badly, they will even pay for it. It is like when you are thirsty, you buy a drink. There are many drinks out there, which one would you choose? Does it satisfy your desire?

Honestly, I am not into the idea of having more gigs. There are too many gigs going on nowadays, that's why the quality is not at its best. It is not difficult to organise a gig, get the sound n lights, get the bands and stuff. But in the end, when the turn up is bad, we say people don’t support local music. When people turn up and the show is not good, they will have an impression that local musicians are not good.

So, producers/organisers must set a standard for the industry and themselves. Don’t do it just for the sake of doing it. If we keep doing it to "promote local music" then we will fail. We must promote good music! We are competing with music from all around the world.

oh, for bands who are like wondering if they are 'good', try to video your practice! Or your performance. You will SEE the truth.

clap clap clap.... well say.... :D i don't like the idea of having alot of gigs too. cause i don't really see alot of quality gigs around. i'm seeing a trends of gigs going for cover bands and stuff like that. just wondering is it good for the scene if the audience don't get to listen to our own local originals?

i do hate to say this, but in general, you can find bands with good originals, and then there are bands with bad originals. One can say that music is subjective, but i think there's a limit to how much generalization this statement can be stretched.

So sometimes i don't mind watching bands do covers (and even solely covers fir the setlist). However, I don't like to watch bands doing covers exactly the same way the original band did. That can be plain boring, depending on the nature of the song.

For local bands, would like to see bands play 50-50 as it would be a more impressive showcase...

For foreign bands however... two words: DREAM THEATRE!!!

I find singapore gigs ok, but probably they must be held nearer to the east cause we don't get to see anything these days .... I would love to one day go to tampines mall on a saturday night and see a different band blasting away every weekend ....

Back