Feedback direct to the Gashaus owners.

no money??? Please la..they can queue up every Swee Lee sale and buy gear that they will eventually sell off..get the latest handphones and Xbox games but cannot buy local album Cds and also sneek food & drinks into gig venues.....

I really doubt this people have no money...

if they were real drummers, they would invest in some cymbals of their own at least, thus saving yours. but i suppose not everyone can afford that luxury.. which is what pisses me off about the blatent lack of professionalism in some of our local bands

i don't agree with bands being held responsibile for blowing the amplifiers onstage during the gig, not unless proper hand take over is done and the equipment was GURANTEED not to fail midway during a set i play. how would one prove if my amp died from wear and tear as opposed to me hitting the shit out of it at 11?

i know its more work for the sound guy, but once he settles the front house and stage mixes, the working relationship between the bands and soundman is that bands don't TOUCH the amps once the setup is complete.

this is also why playing with one's own equipment at gigs helps professionalism usually, and more responsibilities and appreciation for everyone's roles in organisinga successful gig. a musician's instruments are his/her basic arsenal, so taking care of your weapon is your first basic responsibility. nobody likes a prima dona who doesn't take care or always demands rockstar dreams when he/she can't even deliver that level of showmanship or publicity.

i've never been to gashaus (i'm studying overseas), but i've played prince of wales using my own equipment (DI and 1x10 practice amp as a monitor), esplanade using the backline provided and various gigs in between with supported backline, plus in doing gigs here, i provide my own bass amp and DI if the soundman wants it. everytime i play for church here, we unload EVERYTHING from the church van, mixing desks, snake boxes, drum kit, foldback/monitors, front house speaker/aeons, amplifiers, DIs, rackmount effects, all instruments every sunday we're on.. i don't experience your pain of taking care of overheads, but i appreciate what you're doing in the local scene, and it makes me want to hurry and get back and contribute to the budding scene -)

moral of the story: it's a team effort. for all the successful sold out gigs you see is a whole country of people you don't see. PUBLICITY, TOUR ORGANISERS, PROMOTERS, VENUE ICs, STAGE MANAGERS, BAND MANAGERS, SPONSORS, LIGHTING TECHS, CAMERA TECHS, INSTRUMENT TECHS, CATERING

so everybody in the 'scene', lets learn to support one another and be appreciative of what everyone's responsibilities.. watch each others backs, don't let some goondoo spoil the market and make life difficult for the rest of us

general stuff

Hi everyone and thanks for the constructive comments. As I work from Gashaus side with Roy I try to keep things goin the right way.

With every positive theres a negative, that said I think from our side we need to treat the bands with respect, and I know that some of you were uncomfortable with the procedure, but this is not a Gashaus policy to get bands to sell tickets, its a SUNDAY thing, which is why I dont call these things by their names, to me they are a showcase for emerging talents. I can say for a fact that walk in traffic is not going to keep the venue going, so if you want to play for 200 people (How many new bands get to do that!) then we should all pull together and get our friends to come. Recently on Sundays I've reduced beer prices to 4 bucks because I want people to have a good time and not spend too much, but some don't wanna drink, so cover is survival. I hope in the near future, to use the screen to highlight the bands name, because we want to know who you are, and its not clear to the crowds. That said I understand the TV complaints (Although the rolling stones had about 45 screens at thier show). I will try to limit it to the end of shows on Sunday, because there are requests to watch the football. Gashaus is a multi media sensory experience for the 18th, er 20th, er 21st century and you are the MTV short attention generation. You can deal with it.

Cheers to all the bands who've had the cohones to get up and rock our venue.

Keith

Re: ic deposits

bushit

that sounds fair. i remember a band that played the day my band was playing Music Mania, the drummer was hitting so damn hard was sure something's gonna give, thank goodness things remained intact.

i understand the whole idea of "drummer not respecting the kit," which is why at jams i've been trying to play with control and not force. thanx for clarifying Jeff. but maybe at the same time Luke could take note during soundchecks n sound a hard hitting drummer off, and maybe take his IC instead? coz it'll be kinda unfair if a kit respecting drummer gets penalised? its just a thought. but then again, that'll be added responsibility for an already busy SoundMeister.

thanx guys for taking our views into consideration guys. please keep up the bang-up job. overall i find Gas Haus a refreshing place to gig, i really dont understand why some people have qualms over playing there. but yeah, thanx for accomodating everybody.

wish i had the luxury of getting my own cymbals too. a few Manhattans, a nice sounding picolo maybe, oh oh....a pair of brand new spanking Axis pedals would be nice too. *drools*

shux, wish i was rich. :p

Re: general stuff

hausboy said:
Gashaus is a multi media sensory experience for the 18th, er 20th, er 21st century and you are the MTV short attention generation. You can deal with it.

haha, i love that quote dude! it rings so true.. plus you're right, that screen is a GREAT platform for visual works and arts, and like you said, a multi media sensory experience, groups like muon who have a rather strong visual emphasis will also have a certain 'backline' to showcase his/their visual works. and a platform for upcoming VJs, or even independent film festivals.. the possibilities are quite endless!

weather thru the storm guys, i see much potential in your operations, glad to know you guys can take the heat and do something positive about it -)

No outside foods and drinks allowed.. That's a common policy for every cafe or whatsoever..

But one thing I would like to ask though, are there foods sold in Gas Haus?

Yes! Their burritos are great! And their sandwiches are good too, well, I've only eaten there on occasion and haven't been disappointed in the least. :D

:smt006 to Keith, Darren here, haven't been to Gas Haus in a while, will be going there more often after my exams! :D

lightmrwan_sg said:
No outside foods and drinks allowed.. That's a common policy for every cafe or whatsoever..

But one thing I would like to ask though, are there foods sold in Gas Haus?

i had an omlette there once. damn, hungry now sia.

superprog said:
most of the idiots in the generally and still lousy local bands esp those stoopid metal emo core homos can't even freekin handle the bus ride home much less knowing how to simply handle equipment w respect and an iota of primate intelligence.

yeah make those asses pay upfront so they will know how to manage equipment and venues w respect.

on another note its difficult to stop pple from sneakin in own food and drink simply bec they are so godamn pisspoor and pathetic. really these are secondary school children w no money.......tough!!!

i resent that. you're really misconceptualised.

i think that your views of different genres of music's really twisted.

get a life.

my complaint will be about the couches. Especially the ones downstairs. No matter how enthusiastic u are. You just cant resist the couch and start to sit and slack and forget abt the bands playing. This is of course when a gig is on. Well of course if its not a gig, chairs like that would be good to chill. Just a suggestion though im wondering where you guys are gonna hide the chairs.

And not to forget, the stage should be a lil more spacier for the vocalist to move around a lil bit since i am a vocalist and i found it hard to move about when people are right in front of the stage headbanging and stuff. as for sound i do not have any comments since im not experienced with that kind of shit so thatll be up to luke and the band.

Overall i think gas haus is a nice place to chill out than to have gigs at this current moment, but i wish the staff their best to improve their current gig setup. havent been there in a while too, perhaps after my exams. we go together ah darren, i need to destress man!

to all musicians:

stop frigging smashing, thrashing and disrespecting the equipment at gas haus or any venue like nobody's business! it's not yours, and other people want to use it too you know!

I remember when I first used one of the rehearsal rooms at gas haus upstairs, the drums sounded so orgasmic. I went there a few weeks later and it's practically thrashed, the cymbals sounded so abused and on the verge of cracking.

Is there really a need to blow amps and break cymbals that don't belong to you? It's ugly behaviour and only permeates distrust and unnecessary checks for irresponsibility that spoil the experience.

Music can be loud, but if you have to go that crazy, you might want to question yourself if you're overcompensating for something.

our young so called bands are all playing insert_your_favourite_adjective_here Core (grindcore, hardcore what ever core) or Emo thingie mah.. Must play extremely loud to cover all mistakes :lol:

oh yah they should move the mikestands on top of the stage instead of the setup now which is the mikestands on the floor. for a person who wants to stand right ast the front and headbang or whatever it's quite irritating. also, for the person who is using the mikestand it's also quite difficult when the guys running around accidentally pushover the mikestand.

Back