Feedback direct to the Gashaus owners.

bushit

Wow, what a thread bomb I've been reading these day on Soft. Makes me glad that there is something for such a quick feedback. Just to give you an idea of what it used to be like back in the daze in California, the biotching would have had to wait weeks til the next Xeroxed DIY scene zine came out to have opinions circulated. Now thanks to Soft, it only takes a day!

That said, I'm conflicted on whether to respond with a one-finger salute, or say what I'm really thinking. First off, let me say that it ain't easy doing this. As you know, the local scene here is just taking off as part of the worldwide trend back to live music shows and away from declining CD sales. I think it's a good thing, because it allows the street level talent an equal access as the manufactured stars.

But, if you could only imagine…

It costs a lot of time and money to build a place that can support live music in all its forms. It cost even more to keep it running. Trust me when I say we're doing this for the love of having a place where ideas and talent can flourish. This ain't no PAP sponsored community centre.

Where I'm from, it's all about do-it-yourself, and it's normal for the bands that want to play and the people organising the show to go out and pre-sell tickets, as a band, there is no better opportunity to show off your fan base AND make some money for your work.

We do listen to what our customers want, but if you read the big sign on the wall, "the customer is always wrong". :p

But we do make changes. Walls too bright? We painted them. Bands need a place to warm up? We built studios. Lighting too dull? We bought new lights. Equipment not right? We upgrade as we go, depending on if we made enough that week to do it.

Speaking of which: Who are the fuknuts who think it's so damn cool to bring in their own food, their own bottles of alcohol, or their own cokes? Maybe the same ones who smash up the cymbals, cracking them after just two weeks of use, or stealing the cables every day? This ain't cool at all and shows no respect for the venue or the gig. This is a music cafe, and we have high rent just so you can come in here and stuff the pool table pockets with paper coz you're too cheap to pay $2 for a game of pool? This screws up the table for the next players and is as annoying as hell.

As for our sound dude, he’s one hard working mofo, we’ve had over 1000 band setups here since we opened, and he’s been through hell and high-water. Sure he’s gruff. But if you treat him with respect (as many of the threadsters have testified) he’ll do a bang up job. Walk away from him when he asks you to give him a signal, and you won’t get anything. Tell him you know how to set our system better than he does and he’ll walk on you.

As for the bass amp. The ones we have aren’t loud enough, and they kept getting blown up because the bands kept cranking them too high. We’d love to get an expensive one, but with the overhead, that’s just down the road a bit. Just think about that every time you buy a drink from us instead of sneaking in with your 7-11 purchase; we’ll one step closer to upgrading!

We agree about the sports TV, let us know if you want it off, or bring in a video you want to see. Believe it or not, some of the people who come in for the shows ask us to turn the sports on. We tend to cater to those who make their preferences known.

As for Roy, who else in the scene is so passionate about the music and helping new bands get on stage regardless of their talent level? Who else is promoting the live scene as hard as he? I know for a fact that many of the bands that played here would never have played for a live audience if it wasn’t for him. So props go to him for caring.

So what if you have to sell some tickets to support the scene? I have to kick down tens of thousands a month to do so. Argue with that if you can. Trust me when I say we ain’t laughing all the way to the bank in our limos with the takings.

We’re doing this to make a difference in Singapore. It’s actually all the scenes doing their thing that makes Gashaus unique; J-Rockers, Goths, break-dancers and deejays, performance artists, fashionistas, indie-rockers, drum and bassers, rastas, ska boys, punkers, electro-art-noise fans, sports fans, graffiti artists, headbangers, Sailors, karaoke lovers, Malays, Marines, mainlanders, Californians, Chinese, Commonwealthers, pimps, Indians, players, dirty hookers, tourists, Tamils, family men, their kids, and anyone else who walks in through the doors.

The Gashaus is a veritable UN of styles… everyone is welcome. As for the original poster playingplay, all I can say, is that I pity the fool…

Jeff, punk rawk.

Shout outs to Soft and James for keeping it real!

Please use this thread to CONTRUCTIVELY let us know how we can improve…

Yea nothing wrong wif Gas Haus...only those wif bad experiences says bad things bout tat place....well PEACE!!! 8) take care all wanna sleep....zZzZzZzZzZ

Hi Jeff,

I've been to Gas Haus a couple of times for gigs.. just a couple of things here:

Timbre's using a complete Behringer setup from the racks to the mixers to the FOH speakers & monitors and it actually sounds pretty okay. For the bass side, they're using a BX4500H Head and a 2x10 cab turned sideways so it's standing up. Pretty good bang for the buck from where I was sitting. I'm not sure about the cost but hey, it's Behringer... I'm not too sure about the aluminium cones, but they do have paper-coned bass cabs.

The other thing is the wall behind the band; specifically right behind the drummer. When they whack their crashes, the sound that normally goes behind gets reflected right back off the (very acoustically reflective) wall towards the audience and it can get jarring sometimes.

I've never actually played there before so I don't know and won't comment on the attitudes of the staff when doing soundchecks, but I have to say that I understand when you have everyone coming in but nobody's buying food or drinks...

Hope this helps in one way or another :)

Josh

i havent been to gashaus lately but in the past, i went there with de-ataq and its a good place. now the only problem i can find seems to be the vodka sprite in a jar we orderd, well if it was stronger we'd definetly buy more. I dont know if this has changed but if it does, most probably people will gonna stop sneaking in 7 11 stuffs. Other than that, gashaus seem pretty good, and i would like to see it flourish as well.

Thanks for the huge explanantion about your vision and reasons..Aprreciate your frankness..The only complaint is the screen should not be used during the gig..i have not played there but i know some of the bands who play there are really first-timers and they don really know what they are doing..just cranking everything up..Maybe the organisers should do the proper setup for them or teach them how too.>Anyway The only big issue is the screen and if it stays off during the gig session, i think at least more focus will be on the band..Come on..in the first place, the gigs are held for people to watch it right.....

i haven't been to gashaus, but since i've seen it featured on channel U. it looks great. the 2 places that have my respect are timbre and gashaus. cheers.

yes the customer is always wrong until we say they're right.. if people are so capable of dissin', they should actually contribute to the local scene and open another "music" venue themselves and have a 1st hand taste of what it's like.

Jazz not jazz

Jazz lovers are welcome, we were doing a thing with the Lasalle music school... but Lindsey fade away.... and hepcats wanna bring their axe to the Gashaus?

Hey Jeff, it was great meeting you in person...but thought u spent more time in the UK, rather than CA.

Apart from that, i think it's a good initiative to set up this little live venue of yours on this little red dot.

From what i've read so far, maybe it's a better idea to sell the tickets at the DOOR instead of making the new (and almost very young) bands sell their own, coughing up approx. $300 for a slot?

This way, whatever tickets that were unsold...IS unsold and the bands won't have to pay up the difference (commonly thought as "fees" for playing at your stage) upfront, by the pre-selling methology.

No offences though, if your venue was as reknowned as CBGB's...musicians or ppl alike would gladly cough up more..even upfront.
Guess starting out here ain't easy, but we could all work together..to make it our very own CBGB's.

On a lighter note, most of the kids here had experienced some sorts of pre-selling in school..doing legwork for a campus funfair / charity raffle / flag day donations etc etc.

Maybe, it just didn't work for them, by pre-selling again for an activity they actually liked...

Assuming, generating ticket sales were so far your better revenue than retailing beverage, i think you should discuss with Roy on a better way to attract more bands who'll bring more people through your door each day.

Just my thought, if you need it :wink:

Hi Mark & Jeff,

Being an equipment supplier and repairer myself, I do understand your situation. I have seen my fair share of senseless maxing out of amps till it smells smoke of doom.

Though more prevalent with 'core' music, which have mostly migrated to your venue due to the MIA of IJ studio (anybody have IJ's contact pls pm me, I still have an amp on loan to him, thanks). But I have seen senseless blasting from jazz musicians too....... hahahaha....

Anyway, it's better for the bassist to have his own amp instead of the DI only path. (yes, I noticed the absense of the bass amp when i was there for the Soft store launch) For one, it's his primary personal monitor.

I think irregardless if its behringer or swr or ampeg, if you blast it hard enough, it will die. The key I feel is the need of a moderator to keep the bands in check. Normally the soundguy will keep in notice the progress of the gig and rectify any 'situation' immediately, though an additional lookout will be better too. Warranty do not cover abuse, and in this case it's clearly abused.

Anyway, wish you guys the best. And if you have equipment problems, do look me up, I fix anything. From amps, to lightings & effects, to guitars too. Mark should have my contact.

Cheers.

I guess Mikemann is correct...another stage assistant will be the best solution to protect your equipments...no point blaming the bands when measures were not taken to look after the equipment...I think during the Paradigm gigs, there were 2 stage guys always lurking around..making sure everything was adjusted accordingly while the sound guy was in the booth...that was a good setup...missed those gigs also...Wasn't Roy doing thsoe gigs also??

I'm not sure what the sequences are in landing your band a gig slot in Gashaus but perhaps the management could make it clear to any potential band that approaches Gashaus about their terms and conditions.

At least by making the terms and conditions clear to them (and that would also mean constantly reminding them on the negotiation table) , it would probably fend off unwanted rantings from newbie bands. I personally think that due to the nature of Gashau's business , Gashaus should only be the playground of experienced and established bands (in the scene). If a particular band jolly well knows that they can't get $300 worth of audiences then my advise to them is not to take the risk.

Each and every band that wants to play at Gashaus should very well know their fanbase capacity. If they can't sell all tickets , then don't deal with gashaus unless of course the band is rich enough to actually pay the difference.

You don't just get all hyped up and start telling your "groupies" that your band will be giving a "grand debut" performance at Gashaus without even taking notice of the repercussions that might arise should your audience turnout be unfulfilling. Bands consisting of young members should very well know that they are dealing in an adults playground because we're talking about selling of tickets here which INVOLVES LOADS OF MONEY.

bushit said:
Jeff, punk rawk.

Woots!!! hehehe 8)

Hey Jeff & Mark, guess the situation Gas Haus is in, how the Soundman works (by the way, what's his name? we shld refer to him by name n not "Soundman"....) etc etc, kinda makes sense. really think the idea of getting another person involved with sound, stage sound etc, would help, like some have suggested. it'll also lessen Soundman's burden i guess, and maybe they could alternate between each other.

but whatever it is, you guys are doing a bang-up job. kudos. in fact when my band played Music Mania, it was nice to know that each band gets $2 from every pre-sale ticket sold. that was very fair in my books, unlike some gigs we've played where we got zilch for pre-sales.

there's one thing i would like to clarify tho. Why does Soundman collect the drummer's Identity Card (IC)? thought organisers bear the cost of breakage, coz when i organise gigs at IJ i pay for damages........but maybe coz the equipment at Gas Haus is more expensive.

in that case, i was actually thinking about something. why don't organisers get each member of every band to contribute towards the payment for equipment that breaks during a gig? coz well, for example the drums, many drummers would have contributed towards the breakage of a cymbal or the snare head or something. i cant really comment on guitar n bass amps coz basically i know nuts about strings and their accompanying necessities.

what do u guys think?

VIVA LA LOCAL SCENE!!!!!

How come the Orgainzer is not taking up the damage responsibilities...Actually the bands should not be dealing directly to the GAs HAus management but to the organizer unless the organiser is a staff of Gas Haus......How come the organiser does not hold any responsibilities..Just pick the abnds, give them the tickets, give out flyers and then turn up on that day and site down is it....

ic deposits

About the IC for drummers. Luke, the soundmiester, is himself a knowledgeable drummer, and basically, it comes down to this; there is no reason a 2 week old cymbal should break unless the person banging it beats it with the aim of breaking it. Our cymbals ain't cheap, and they ain't old. I just took to the recycler $140 worth of cymbals, mostly crash rides. That's 8 cymbals, from the stage, in 4 months. Obviously athe drummers are not respecting the kit, so we will hold THEM responsible. As much as I love buying new cymbals every two weeks, there really is no reason they should be breaking every 20 bands.
In the jam rooms, with the same amount of play, we haven't had one break. Which means it really is the drummers, not drumming properly.
Since the drummer hands over his IC, and know he's responsible for his damages, then they usually drum better. It's working, only one break since we put in the new policy!
peace out
jeff

most of the idiots in the generally and still lousy local bands esp those stoopid metal emo core homos can't even freekin handle the bus ride home much less knowing how to simply handle equipment w respect and an iota of primate intelligence.

yeah make those asses pay upfront so they will know how to manage equipment and venues w respect.

on another note its difficult to stop pple from sneakin in own food and drink simply bec they are so godamn pisspoor and pathetic. really these are secondary school children w no money.......tough!!!

Back