fav snare drum

woooOoooOO, okie thats alot of stuff. tunning tips can be shared, but it's probably better to meet up and "just do it". man garibaldi's snare sounds damn nice. I playyed the pearl tico torres snare, it was actually damn nice! articulate and all that jazz. i got a friend who has a brass DW 6inch, man it kills!!! it just has this big fat meaty whack. i'm not really for buying over priced DW's but the best ones i've played have been them. ebay baby

again, its a matter of preference. the timbre of the wood plays a great role. usually more dense woods create warmer sounds. less dense ones make drier punchier tones. but 50% of the sound is up to you, which makes percussion unique in itself. getting a hell of a good set gets you halfway, but tuning it nicely gets you there or further.

i think the best one ive used so far is this snare by black swamp. its got like some multi strainer w/ 6 diff snare combinations. at least for orchestral purposes its shit good. really warm sound good projection. but apart from that, i guess my stock pearls. haha. quite a contrast but again its a matter of preference. you can buy a 40 ply snare for 1k, but if you still prefer a cheap plastic shell drum (haha) then so be it.

yah man i've heard good things about black swamp. played a Black Swamp tambourine and it was very clear. man i dunno about it being warmer if its denser. i mean its true that birch has less over tones cause of its softer nature but i've played jarrah snares over here and their like 30% denser that maple and they are really really loud, high end crack, and their really not warm man. very sensitive too if ur strokes aren't up to par they really show, on the flip side if ur control is good (which mine is far from) they make u sound just so nice. The drummer from the band Live uses them.

Funkifized said:
Good points... Neil Peart lugs around many snare drums and consistently changes between them during live concerts... all because different snare drums have different tonal characteristics...

I think the "Professor" said he consistently changes them during recording as opposed to live concerts. If "Rush in Rio" is any indication of this habit in shows, I don't remembering seeing a different snare though out the concert. Or may be he did change to other snares which he might have mentioned in interviews.

I love the Edge snare that he uses. It has the warmth of maple and the brightness of brass. BUt that snare is blurdy heavy!!! It's a russian tank man! The first time I heard "One Little Victory" with that great attack on the snare, I knew I had to get the EDGE! 8O

Another snare worth mentioning is "Stewart Copeland Signature Snare" by Tama. I played it at one gig and it made me want to buy one more snare. It's sickening!!!

warmness of maple and brightness of brass, man jenn u sound like ur qouting from the brochue, tell us wat u really like about it, can't be just"warmness of maple, brightness of brass"

blurred said:
warmness of maple and brightness of brass, man jenn u sound like ur qouting from the brochue, tell us wat u really like about it, can't be just"warmness of maple, brightness of brass"

I knew someone will catch me on that! I wish I could write well. I am trying, ok? hahaha... but that's the best I could described it. Let me try, playing the snare dead centre gives the very typical maple sound but when I play closer to the edge, u could hear the ring that associated with metal snares... eh man, if I could write an essay, I'll be back in school for a degree, Marc! Dun force me write lah!

okie no problem u can sign lang me when i get back, pls u can write loh, all those film theory papers i'm u wrote! man i need to check that snare of urs out man, hey i played this yet of drums built by this guy don sleishman, free floating shells like those used by pearl except on everything. Damn nice man!!! if your ever in aussie check them out!! its just so deep and it resonants like nothing else man

blurred said:
okie no problem u can sign lang me when i get back, pls u can write loh, all those film theory papers i'm u wrote! man i need to check that snare of urs out man, hey i played this yet of drums built by this guy don sleishman, free floating shells like those used by pearl except on everything. Damn nice man!!! if your ever in aussie check them out!! its just so deep and it resonants like nothing else man

Essays we do a lot of quotation and state sources. Dang, I'll be sacked by the school for Plagerism!! U make sure u bring back some nice snares when u come back, k?!

blurred said:
yah man i've heard good things about black swamp. played a Black Swamp tambourine and it was very clear. man i dunno about it being warmer if its denser. i mean its true that birch has less over tones cause of its softer nature but i've played jarrah snares over here and their like 30% denser that maple and they are really really loud, high end crack, and their really not warm man. very sensitive too if ur strokes aren't up to par they really show, on the flip side if ur control is good (which mine is far from) they make u sound just so nice. The drummer from the band Live uses them.

yeah man the tambourine is real good. real easy to do thumb rolls. but prices are exorbitant. the tambourine costs around 300, the triangle costs around 600-700 with i think 4 beaters. and the snare's really a pocket burner. but the qualities of black swamp are very limited in the sense that they're sound models the warmth of ensemble playing in orchestras and chambers.

Back