fav snare drum

I've not played enough snare drums to decide on the "best" I've played. But I own a Chad Smith Sig and it sounds great. May not be the best, but I can confidently say its the best in its price range.

If given a chance to, I would love to play a stave shell snare drum. :lol:

their very "direct" sounding. little overtones, very sensitive. i'm getting one from this guy who makes drums in brisbane. can't wait man. hey wat bands are u playing in now?

it's hard to justify best. as different like different people like the different tones produced by different snare drums.

for my i play electronic drumset. so i heard rubber everyday =)
unless i turn it on....and i like a slightly tighter sounding snare

~drummar buah~

It bothers me a lot actually. It's just some really bad OCD. :lol:
Which is why I skim through forum posts and hate receiving SMSes.

Anyway, what I really want is a nice snare collection from which I can pick the snares I need for any given situation. Like what drummar-buah said, there really isn't a "best" snare, but I'm sure there're "best" snare sounds for the various kinds of music.

yea if u ask me...i have favourites for different genres.

for funk-jazz i like the dave weckl sig snare.
for heavy rock metal and progressive i like mike portnoy's snare. wat ever it is. i don't really bother about the name. i only listen out for the tone of the snare. i think having a wide range of favourite snare drums is better than sticking to one. it's like..u can't be using say...buddy rich's snare to play metal. even if u are like..some 50 year old dude and u love the buddy rich's snare drum so much. it won't sound good in metal.

i kinda need more exposure to more drummers really. cuz in many forums i keep using mike portnoy and dave weckl for examples. haha i'll keep searching..

~drummar buah~

Actually I disagree.

I believe versatility is the most important feature in any snare drum. You're underestimating the power of a drum key and a good pair of ears. With good tuning, you can totally change the sound qualities of any snare drum. For example, you can make a 10ply maple snare drum sing with a pronounced crack you usually hear in a steel snare. Similarly, you can mute the crack you hear in metal snares to give it a darker tone with some good tuning. Of course, like tuning any other drums in a drumset, each piece has its own individual tuning range, which is why a certain material and build is preferred over another.

Also, it's very wrong to tie a certain snare drum to a certain genre of music. I know Weckl is like jesus of fusion drumming, but it doesn't mean you need the sound of his signature snare to sound good. And by the way, drums go through a lot of EQing and the various micing techniques can really alter the sound of the drums when it is finally being heard on the album. So it is inaccurate to base your preferred snare sound on whatever you hear on the tracks.

Similar to the example you've just mentioned, it isn't that difficult to use an old Ludwig snare for metal if you can make the drum ring out with some good ol' rimshotting.

ou okay okay. my bad. ahaha at least i learnt something too. for one thing i play an electronic kit. so i pretty much here rubber all day long. i had no idea that snares can be tuned so widely.. thanx wired for pointing out my mistake =)

~drummar buah~

snare

Wired is right la... tuning is all that matters. The difference in tone and snap is somewhat very little. Volume wise we all know that a picollo is defeaning. I have a 12" mapex steel snare that sounded like a 14" by 5" wood thro mic'g and after eq.

The price we pay for a snare might be in fact the durability (someone care to correct me please) of the make and of course the brand/ endorsed name.

And yes I do use an Omar Hakim with a G2 evans coated. I tuned it till I like it (well duh?) I dont know how to explain it but it takes practice and tons of patience to get to the snare sound that I like. Slightly choked but still full of depth and tone (doesnt make sense now does it) But most of the time, my guage is when i feel the snare in my solar plexus, that brings a smile to my face.

Lastly, and most importantly, its the player also. You need to have a sense of stroking and consistency. Some players have a very strong snap and that makes it sharp and too in your face.You need to vary with different song and style.

I talk too much

come here tiger.... yes come you pussy.....glug glug glug
Ahhhh.... Good morning EVERYONE hic!

Darren

yes dudess,

the way u hit the snare is really important as stated by darren.i'm just begining to understand that. i think this comes from opening ur ears and eyes. watching how ur band mates react to ur hits. like just lightily rim shotting the snare to fully whacking the crap out of it to not rim shotting at all. just got to watch the balance in the jam room. i feel DW's are over priced and i feel that they are very versatile drums that can be used for a variety of shit i mean music haha. but i got to tell u i played this old beat to crap legend maple snare and it was heavennnnnn.

reference

I dont know if I am slow but have you heard of the pearl reference drums?

The snare is made of 20! ply. I think its 14ply maple and 6 ply mahogany. Like its super thick lah, bet it weighs a ton boy...

Well we just have to save up our whole lives just to get it I suppose.

Theres a lot to read up on the bible mel80. But mostly its application and commen sense once you get the hang of it.

Anyways I need to really digress out of this snare talk.
Does anyone know whats the best way to lub up the lugs? I dont wish to use WD40 cos it eats into the metal, no singah oil for me too. I wish to get it back to the way it was when the drum first came in, the lugs are all smooth and not oily but lubricated...

KY?

Thanks peeps
P/S Mel... ur band not jamming anymore ah? Wah lau show a bit colour to your bassist he get scared ah? Jokin jokin... Darren

Hi, i'm a new drummer, been reading the forums for a couple of months, decided to join now. Been playing around 3 years, looking to trade licks and learn more with the more experienced gigging players down here :)

You see, Wired, your argument is a little flawed.. I wouldn't say tuning can do anything you want to a snare. Tuning, granted, can do a lot to alter the sound of a snare. But there are cases where you will never get the sound you want from a snare of certain dimensions. Take for example, a popcorn snare, standard 12x6. You wouldn't get a nice cracky piccolo sound out of it, and this is the exact basis that companies make snares in different sizes. If tuning is as powerful as you speak, all the drummers, past and present may as well just use a snare of a common dimension, say 14x6 and just 'tune' up differently to get their signature sound. Granted, again, that EQ dramatically alters what comes out of the PA, but the sound will be hideous where you try to EQ a brass snare to sound like a nice dark solid maple snare. I've heard it once or twice in the rare outdoor shows played in Singapore, the EQ was so bad the snare sounded like a big cardboard box with a lot of blankets inside, and the whole song sounded like all the members were playing basses.

There i've said my piece, different people play different snares because of the significant advantages the dimensions provide for them, physically, aesthetically or musically. It's totally up to his/her preference, like you said, you'd love a wide collection where you pick out the snare for each unique occasion.

Moving on now to tuning, well i don't think you can exchange pointers on how to tune drums exactly because i tune according to what my ear likes, and it may be different from your tastes. Based on that alone, I'd say requests to share tunings are really unrealistic. You should learn the basics of tuning, and spend some hours fiddling with the tension rods to find the exact sound you like. Remember, it's your drum, and it'll be accredited to being your kind of sound. Guitars sound all the same with that old EADGBE thingy(sorry i'm not really good at this..), some dropping tunings, and some making it sharper. But our instruments are one of a kind, and the sounds are made by us.

Hi, i'm a new drummer, been reading the forums for a couple of months, decided to join now. Been playing around 3 years, looking to trade licks and learn more with the more experienced gigging players down here :)

Good points... Neil Peart lugs around many snare drums and consistently changes between them during live concerts... all because different snare drums have different tonal characteristics...

But yeah, the EQ/gating/protools they use would definitely completely change the sound of the kit... which is something i've never liked. Keep it natural, man.

For favourite snare... it's hard to decide, really... so many choices... it's hard to base it around what I've played coz I'm no rich kid, nor have I really dared to walk into sweelee and bang on every high-end snare drum... but here's a list of what i like... based on what I've heard from records.

Mike Portnoy's snare in train of thought (though sometimes it's so popcorn-like that it totally loses drum characteristics)

Any recent Dave Weckl record (though it's because of the heavy use of noise gates and such)

Vinnie Colaiuta's live snare sound

Julio Fergurosa's (spelling?) snare... you can hear a clip on dwdrums.com... totally freaking sweet...

David Garibaldi's signature snare... this one I've tried before... in yamaha, though it wasn't cranked up tight like his.

Now for what I DON'T like... (just my opinion)... I really really don't like Steve Gadd's snare sound... too fat and wet for my tastes... all the ghost notes just seem so... 'blurred'... for lack a better word... not enough articulation for me.

So yeah, you can probably tell that my taste in snares is leaning towards the high pitch, great crack and rimshot response kind of snare... as opposed to fat sounds...

And I agree that the way you play affects the sound... for me the worst kind of sound occurs when you play the drum like you're aiming for the floor... loud, harsh and barbaric, ugh...

Back