Epiphone: Valve Jr (Head)

Are you referring to 12" speakers being placed into the combo (VJ), or combo amps in general?
Cause a lot of combo amps have 12" speakers.. Those higher wattage ones..

There are other problems you need to consider as well, like speaker impedance, i.e, 4 / 8 / 16 Ohms.

With the combo, you don't get the flexiblity of chosing the correct impedance.
yeah then there's the issue of the physical size of the speaker fitting into the combo.

One solution is to upgrade to a better quality output transformer.
Where you can mod to have "Speaker Outs" at different impedance
4 / 8 / 16 to attached to any cab.

By the way fyi:
The stock OT is mismatched at 5k, the EL84 needs one to be at 7k.
An upgrade will result in a much louder amp and longer tube life

More fyi: Lol
The head version is DC heated filaments, while the combo one is AC heated.
one of the reasons why i advocate the head unit.
however same problem with the head, mis-matched OT

Sub: I do believe the combo sports an 8", not 10"....seriously, is it really possible for a 12" speaker to fit in a combo?

Last edited:
I've always wondered.. Is it possible to get a head wired up to my combo?
Cause mine sports 2 12" speakers, so it'd be a waste to get a cab just for a new head..

I`m currently using the Epi cab that came with it but u can always swap out the speakers if u dun like it...thinking of changing mine to Celestion V30..hehe..

Latest updates to the valve junoirs. Ive got the version 3 combo version. Sounds preety gd as long as u tilt the amp to face u. Or as long as u elevate the amp to ear level.

Latest updates:
The Epiphone Valve Jr. version 1 combo was released in 2005 as a part of Epiphone's line of amplifiers. In January 2006 a head version was released and also a version 2 combo. In June 2007 a updated head version and a version 3 combo were released. The first Epiphone Valve Juniors (version 1) were only combo amplifiers and received only a fair reception, due to such problems as buzzing and hum caused by the AC filament voltage. Epiphone then released a head version, correcting these issues and changed the AC filament voltage to DC voltage. Version 2 combos also featured these modifications. The version 1 and version 2 combos feature a 8" 4 ohm Weber Ceramic Signature 8 speaker.
Epiphone has recently released Combo version 3 and a newer version of the head which have higher retail prices and feature a variety of tube brands based on availability including Electro Harmonix, JJ and Sovtek. The new versions of the head and version 3 combos feature updated transformers with 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs and the version 3 combos feature a 8" 16 ohm Eminence Lady Luck speaker. In 2007, Epiphone released a speaker cabinet that can be used with the Epiphone Valve Junior, featuring a 1x 12" 16 ohm Eminence Lady Luck speaker rated at 70watts RMS.

Combo version 1 has front panel stripes that run along the centre of the front panel and has a 4 ohm output only and a AC filament voltage.

Combo version 2 has front panel stripes that run along the top of the front panel and has a 4 ohm output only and a DC filament voltage.

Combo version 3 has front panel stripes that run along the top of the front panel and has 4,8 and 16 ohm outputs and a DC filament voltage.

Head only versions have 4,8 and 16 ohm outputs.
Early versions mainly have Sovtek tubes and later versions have a variety of tubes such as JJ, EH and Sovtek tubes.

whyuforcemetosignupp: Well, I got mine (head & cab) for about $520 from Blackwood, unless u can find a 2nd hand set, it'll be cheaper, I do beleive a fellow softie is selling his. Do check out the ads :)

Thks for the quick reply, Faizal..
Well i actually been searching the ads for how much the 2nd hand sets cost but am wondering how much a brand new one sells in shops after discount... (=

i have two questions about the amp:

ive checked out the epiphone website and found out that it is a single ended amp and has both preamp and poweramp tubes.

1)how does one control preamps in the amp? like for other amps, gain control is preamp and master/volume is poweramp. for this amp? does the single control both pre and pow amp equally?

2)and what is the thing about single ended amps? dont bother asking me to google, the results came out in figures of circuits and mumbo jumbo. i want in laymen terms. hehe thanks!

hey man, nice review. i got a question for anyone to answer too...

i've been looking at amps around that range, mainly the epi vj and blackheart little giant 5 watt head and cabs. what would you say, is the better of the two? I'm looking for not only enough clean headroom and decent cleans, but enough overdrive for nice blues rock tones at higher volumes, and i use single coils... the vj would be harder to tweak, am i right?

the Epi VJ will not give you inherent overdrive because there's none to offer. yes, if you crank it up, there would be a break-up type drive but it's not as commanding as a dedicated drive channel. this amp excel as a clean unit. while you're hunting for somehting of this ilk, you'd do well to check out Sound Drive's Tube 7 head as well (see pic):

sound+drive+tube+seven+with+rg+and+pedals.JPG

sound+drive+tube+7+and+metal+end+king.JPG

here's a noob question. I've got an Epi VJ combo, version 3, with 3 inputs for 4, 8 and 16ohms.

Question: whats the difference between the 4, 8, and 16 inputs? Mine came hooked up to the 16ohm slot. What happens if i plug it into the 4 or 8 ?

Thanks in advance all

Its to match the cabinets. Unless you want something to blow up, don't mess around with it.

Unless your cabs state they are 8 ohms or 4 ohms...

Latest posts

Back