Epiphone guitar factory tour in Qingdao, China

heh, those pics just kinda reminds me of someone visit to the boss factory in taiwan. Bunch of chinese aunties and uncles working on gadget which we love.

In a way, its like electro harmonix(as shown in the fuzz dvd), couple of latinos auties and uncles working on their pedals in the EH factory.

Upz the points for aunties and uncles!

what a waste of wood, and killing the trees with these mass produced mediocre instruments...
honestly...

The PRS factory tour is worse...
Just cause the body was considered to the defected, they sawed it in half, literally.
Could've sold it off and recouped some losses, but no...

Why would you want to send out products that don't meet your standard of quality? You start doing that for one and the next few, you are sending out a message to the workers that they need not do a good job on the piece they are working on and that shoddy work is acceptable. In the end, it is going to lead into a huge drop in overall quality. By the time you try to fix it, it's already too late.

Last edited:
heh you can see that the woodgrain isn't actually the guitar, its a sheet or something they glue on top of the wood and paint/laquer over. What can you expect...

what a waste of wood, and killing the trees with these mass produced mediocre instruments...
honestly...

One of my first guitars was an Epiphone Les Paul, which was in my price range and which I loved dearly (I also wish I'd never sold it). These 'mass produced mediocre instruments' as you call them serve an important purpose and make a lot of people very happy. I don't consider them a waste of wood.

Gotta love factory tour photos - thanks OP

very interesting...

too bad there aren't any pictures of them making Acoustics as I own a Masterbilt AJ-500M

Why would you want to send out products that don't meet your standard of quality? You start doing that for one and the next few, you are sending out a message to the workers that they need not do a good job on the piece they are working on and that shoddy work is acceptable. In the end, it is going to lead into a huge drop in overall quality. By the time you try to fix it, it's already too late.

I meant sell as parts to those American mom and pop shops, let them do what they want.
In any case, there are always kids who want a budget PRS lookalike, seeing they probably can't afford the real thing.

And I bring back my point about workers continually producing sub-standard work once they start doing that because the management think it's alright. You do that, you bring down the entire working culture in the production line. In no time, you will be producing nothing but factory rejects.

Products that do not meet the manufacturer's minimum standard of quality should NEVER be allowed to leave the factory and be sent out to retailers, even as parts. And you are sending out the wrong message to retailers and consumers once you start doing that.

'WTF PRS now sells factory rejects as parts to retailers?' Bye bye, company image. You can get back your money easily, but your company or product image will take a lot to get back. And 'No such thing as bad PR' is bullshit, look at BP.

Last edited:
The defective bodies can be used as testbeds for new ideas or new equipment or as training tools for new employees in the paint department or electronics assembly. But leave the factory? Never.

Of course, there can be a neglible number that I can afford to write off and destroy, or be used as described above, due to any unforeseen circumstances. At the same time, I have to still emphasize the need for quality products from the production line, even though these bodies are not being sent out to be sold. But, everytime a body is rejected, I would take note of what issues caused these items to be rejected. If there is a trend in the rejection reasons, the problem has to be identified and rectified.

However, if there is a significant number of bodies that are coming in as defective, I would have to stop and think and investigate the three primary factors in manufacturing, the raw materials, the manufacturing process and finally, the people doing the manufacturing. I would have to pinpoint where the problem(s) lies and rectify them immediately.

Interesting factory tour.

In production environment, there are always such overheads, they're part of the manufactoring cost. Key thing is, the quality and standard must be maintained. PRS has a strong branding, no such thing as factory-rejects being leaked into the market... If you are naive now, you'll understand all these when you grow older...

Most of the beginners need something to start with. Not all of them can afford Gibsons/PRS/"unwasted woods" as their learning gear. So, be glad that Epiphone's production is kept at low cost. And remember, the tone is in our fingers too. We make both Epi and Gib sound the same good.

Back