Electric Guitar Bridge Raised from heavy guage!?!

Ken-

What do i do to fix this?
I got A set of heavy guage strings for my birthday last last mnth decided to used them sinced my last e snapped yesterday.
When i fixed it and tuned everything up, My whole bridge was like increased to a 2cm away from the hole it used to be..

http://seenly.com/Mwtlzbt.jpg

Can anyone help? I scared my bridge fly out :(

haha, it shdnt fly out.. the best would be to send it for a professional set up if u intend to keep using the heavier strings.

if not u can tighten the screws attached to the metal thing that is hooked to the springs and if possible, add more springs.

tighten the bridge springs at the rear cavity to counter the string tension- remember to loosen your strings as well.

erh.. try this..
now look at your first pic, the placement of the springs are like this right?

o---------o
o o
o---------o
o o
o---------o

got five lobang for you to hook the springs in right?

then shift the hooks (nearer to the bridge one) from the 1st and 5th lobangs to the 2nd and 4th lobang.

its diagonal la. you get what i mean?

EDIT: have you tuned your guitar?

Last edited:
Jweih Bro, I must Unwind all my string first before moving the springs? and yes
after moving the screws deep deep inside, i retune, it float back up again =(

lol, your strings what gauge? screw in all the way still will float, either add more springs or use my method ba, just loosen your strings can liao, dont need unwind.

but if the string gauge too heavy for you... i suggest you buy some lighter gauge and play ba..

wtf so heavy... change to lighter one ba?

if you're keen on it then... i think you're that thing screw too inside liao.. that's what want take out very difficult..

dude thats a huge jump to gauge 12... anyway my advice to you is that you unstring your guitar bring it to a shop and have it set up to a gauge 12 setting.. now the problem isnt just the bridge floating and stuff in a long run that much tension might even cause your neck to warp.. so yes bring it to a shop if you aint sure how to change the set up whn your changing gauges :)

yeah, decide whether you'll b using the 12s in the long run..if u want to then go set it up and if not change strings before more problems start to appear. For now, u can try tuning everything down 1/2 to 1 step and capo the 1st or 2nd fret respectively. It'll help ease the tension and make it easier to play.

of course, higher gauge means higher tension. the string u just put on has higher tension, thus pulling towards its side.

i suggest:
decide your favourite gauge then go set up your guitar. from what u said, u tighten to the max still pulling up, maybe u need more strings or new ones. my guitar had 3, and i had to add another to add the tension.

of course, higher gauge means higher tension. the string u just put on has higher tension, thus pulling towards its side.

i suggest:
decide your favourite gauge then go set up your guitar. from what u said, u tighten to the max still pulling up, maybe u need more strings or new ones. my guitar had 3, and i had to add another to add the tension.
springs you mean bro ?

he he... i think he meant springs, definitely. 5 in mine...

m-53+trem+springs.JPG

wouldnt more springs = more force needed to dive it down ? unless you're using heavy gauges? and if i rmb correctly i browse through ur blog the other day.. and i rmb you saying something bout using gauge 9 only lol
bro you gyming out on your guitar?

he he... ok my fault not to accompany the previous post with details. there are 5 springs in there to counter any string tension in the hope of raising my bridge- i don't whammy so in order for the guitar's bridge to stay put, 5 springs were used.

this is to illustrate to the TS that utilising more springs to counter the increased string tension is one way to address his situation.

ohh... i doubt any fresh pieces of the factory comes close to a gauge 12.. usually a 9 or 10 i say? so going to 12's is quite a big change, adding springs would stop it from floating yes.. but my fear of ts is that the increase in tension might harm his neck..

Thanks Bros!

Thank You Bros!,
A few questions,
1) This being a Util guitar, (meaning i may take 10 gauge or 12 some day) should i add springs or Go for setup, (setup meaning only being able to tahan 12 and if take 10s, will sink in?)
2)If i add 5 springs, can i still dimebag darrel one day and maybe santana the other? Seems like adding 5 springs needs incredible triceps to push it down.

it is advisable to send your guitar for set up whenever u change gauge..
anw you gotta understand this concept thicker strings = higher string tension.. if the string tension is > thn your spring tension that is when you will see your bridge floating, anw it's purely to your liking man but i dont see anyone using heavy gauge to play dimebag stuff.. but hey, it's up to you man if you like the tone that gauge 12 gives and you think you can handle it by all means go for it :)but naturally you will need more springs to keep your bridge in place if your gona use a gauge 12.. you can try rearranging the springs like jweih suggested first.. and if it still doesnt work thn yea add another spring :)

It said 'for drop tuning". maybe because u tune it in standard tuning. try half step drop tuning and see 1st if it is fine. u can tune ur guitar into standard tuning but the strings will pull up your bridge due to its tension and like keith had mention.. it will damage the neck...

Back