Diy guit

PunkyPorky

Hi...I just put together a guitar kit and installed the Seymour Duncan SH-2n and Sh-4JB on it...I followed all the instructions but for some reason (of which i do not know) the pickups are super soft even when playing at max volume...can anybody tell me why this is so???
Thanks so much

usually when putting in pickup and wiring for the first or second time, theres only 2 type of possibilities

1) Everything is working fine

and

2) totally not working or almost working but still considered not fine at all

and the ways to find out why and remedy it are

1) Bring to guitar tech and pay him to do corrective maintenace

2) On your own, go through wiring over and over and over and over again. Trace out every points from pickup to selector swtch to pots to cap and finally to output jack, use multimeter check for continuity for all the solder joints

and the worst case scenerio ever, desolder everything, take out pickup, pots etc.

For pickup, if really sure that its working fine, then leave it alone. If really particular and wanna check it, temporary solder the pickup wires to a 1/4 inch phone plug(hot wire to tip of plug and ground wire to sleeve of plug). Once done, connect the pickup directly into amp, turn volume to safe and low level, take any metallic object(screw driver, scissor etc) gently tape on the pickup. If the pickup is ok, the sound of the metallic object gently hitting the pickup will be amplified thru the amp.

for the pots, again, use multi meter, measure the value and make sure to check the resistance value will increase/decrease from minimum to maximum and vice versa when turning it.

once done, go thru the wiring diagram again, start soldering away.

and lastly, if it sounds too troublesome, just bring to guitar tech and let them do the thing while requesting them to let you know what was the cause of the problem in the first place.

so if ur doin it by urself... then the cable is not well soldered .. try to strip it again and back from the start.. solder it properly :)
its often happen on the PU switch pin's solder, pots pins, and jack of course

Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions...i found out it was my grounding that created the prob...now my bridge pickup is working fine but not my neck...heehee...might be because of the soldering you think???

Just be quick and precise with your soldering
especially at the pot terminals, or you run the
chance of burning them. You can't really see it
Thats why you need a multi-meter.

A lot of the time, faulty "DIY-ed" guitars brought
to me are due to spoilt pots, because DIY-ers
are unsure, they solder and resolder over the
terminals until they get burnt

Just be quick and precise with your soldering
especially at the pot terminals, or you run the
chance of burning them. You can't really see it
Thats why you need a multi-meter.

A lot of the time, faulty "DIY-ed" guitars brought
to me are due to spoilt pots, because DIY-ers
are unsure, they solder and resolder over the
terminals until they get burnt

I've never solder the ports before only the wires. I got the guitar as a kit you see. i'm just wondering if i should remove the old wires that are there...and just wondering if the tone pot is the one with the resistor/capacitor?

link the diagram you follow to wire up the thing.

Depending on what sorta way of wiring, some wiring will have a capacitor on the volume pot as well, for treble bleed purpose.

link the diagram you follow to wire up the thing.

Depending on what sorta way of wiring, some wiring will have a capacitor on the volume pot as well, for treble bleed purpose.

I decided to throw away the stock pots and buy A500ka pots i realized that my mistake was the stock was only 250...so now got to redo the whole thing will let you know how it turns out... :)

Back