Danelectro: FAB Metal (D-3)

subversion

danelectro-fabmetal.jpg

Danelectro: FAB Metal
List: $30

The name Danelectro never fails to conjure the image of Led Zep’s Jimmy Page honing his DC on stage. The legendary guitar brand name subsequently released some vintage looking pedals, of which its Fat Cat Chorus received some critical acclaim. In furtherance of this venture, Danelectro continues to release more guitar pedals, the ‘mini’ selection saw the introduction of the Black Coffee distortion, perhaps the more favourable metal-type unit today; affordable yet impressive. Pushing the envelope of affordability, Danelectro now offers its FAB units at an unbelievable list price.

Features/ Build
The FAB Metal (D-3) is of plastic whole less the rubber base lining. Its 3-knob controls are bare essentials: Level/ Tone/ Gain. The fact that these knobs aren’t user-facing at all times, the only way to decipher the level of any controls is via a red line-dented marker; not the best solution for dark venues. Its oblong footswitch is actually a lever in contact with the activation switch located in the inner reaches of the pedal’s belly; visible if you remove the base plate- which is a necessary manouvre because that’s the only way you can access the battery.

The D-3 looks futuristic but the control knobs’ location is in need of a better placement.

Tone
There’s no hiding what the D-3 aims to accomplish, an all out metal assault which is indeed present. Nevertheless the overall output on offer makes your tone sound midrange inclined & excessively nasal, regardless of how much bass frequency you dial in through the Tone knob/ amp's EQ section. On this particular subject, the Tone parameter seems to contain some crude clippings; there are settings where your tone will abruptly be too treble/ bass boosted but the inherent nasal honk would still be present.

Issues
The nature of the D-3’s switching system (lever employed) requires adequate pressure assertion to trigger activation; however, this can be tricky when the entire mechanism proves to be unresponsive at times. This is also linked to the amount of pressure one employs when locking the base plate after battery installation, too much/ little & it will affect the switching mechanism’s functionality.

There was an occasion of over-tightening & the pedal simply refused to activate; too loose & the pedal becomes ultra sensitive, it switches off the moment you lay it on the floor surface.

Last say
If you have spare cash, the adventurous among us might consider owning this pedal for the fun of it; it’s very affordable & fulfills its obligation respectfully, nothing exceptional. In view of the issues & unintelligent knob placement design, one would wisely avoid this ditty on grounds of reliability & practicality. It’s one of the very few pedals around to demerit a respectful set up; plugging it into a half-stack does not remove that practice amp tone. However, if you thrive on small amp voicings, you wouldn’t mind at all.

Rating: 5.5/ 10

• Bright LED

Dislikes
• Tone
• Dodgy switching mechanism
• Battery access

i bought this thing for fun and i must say it's not bad for the damn low price. but i dont really like the tone now, so i'm selling it.

to me, tone is everything from a pedal- it's a make or break factor. otherwise no use investing in one...

Hmm just wondering, Where got sell the fab effects in SG ?

I only seen the Danelectro pedals like the more ex one ..
Eg. Coolcat, corned beef or something..

at Plaza singapura Yamaha store..But nvr see the FAB effects..

The fab pedals were sold out very quickly , they have been sold out for quite some time already. And the new shipment will not come in that soon.

haha

hahaha, thats funny man, cus i dont think it should get any lower. :lol: trade it for a plate of chicken rice man. :lol:

Hmm.

Music Ensemble has a few pieces left. Paradiz centre, basement 1, in front of the Subway sandwich outlet. I'm sure either Pauline or Steven will be happy to let the folks try it out.

However, from a practical point of view... Danelectro stuff is relatively cheap on its own, and for something with obviously bad design, ergonomic and manufacturing considerations... I'd rather point people in the direction of EHX stuff or even Behringer's OD/distortion units.

And yes, it's probably better to use the cash to get fat and happy.

i juz got 1 from a trade yesterday, and all i gotta say is that this pedal is freakin wicked......

ok ok, it does have its cons, but before that, at a brand new price of >$50, and an evil blue LED, its uber cool, and the gain on this is sick, absolutely cannot do low gain, its meant for metal

well for the cons, first thing i did was to take a peek under the hood, and there it was, the weirdest footswitch i ever saw and extremely fragile looking, next thing is that i now just play this with tone completely cut, the tone control went turned up juz makes it extremely buzzy

and another thing is that it sounds decent at bedroom levels, but when i turn up the volume, all its faults start appearing

anw although its made of plastic and has that really weird switch thing, its actually quite sturdy

but all in all i won't give it a 5.5/10, more a 6.5/10 :lol:

my 5.5 is a compound rating- several 'could have been better' points conjuring up a 'could have been' better performance...

Back