Cymbal Guide- develop the right mentality(updated)

Thank you admin for stickying this thread,i hope this will be useful to many fellow drummers out there :)

Yes..I think this topic is very informative and beneficial for drummers out here. My Opinion.

When buying Cymbals, Sound is very subjective to each so is Brand Preference as quoted, couple with the facts - Budget and types of genres we play. No one Cymbal fits all Genres.

Most drummers does change Cymbals. I started out buying a Kit with "Package Cymbals" which are cheaper but in brand new condition (cause I didn't know anything about Cymbals - also I do not have the $$$$ at that time)....that's fine - If I knew I would rather buy Resale Better Cymbals (as you said - we loose less $$$, when we resell it couple with the facts that Cymbals Prices are increasing each year).

If we do not intend to change cymbals (TOO OFTEN)...then buy the Best Cymbals according to our preference (Brand, Sound, Genres Of Music We Play)......not based on the price we have to pay.

For example, say "Zildjian" is our Brand Preference...then buy Zildjian. If we love "K Constantinople Series"...then buy K Con...not A or K or other range within Zildjian.....If we can get a resale one at a good offer - then go for it. MOney not enough - then save up to buy them....that way, we are happy and we get what we prefer in our Cymbal Selection.

Just my Personal opinion.

thanks for the additional input on this.hmm...if only i could re-arrange posts such as this to the front part of the topic,that'll be even better.

i do agree with your opinion but it seems that not too many people in the drumming community have the same type of mentality :(

to me ah...
its all based on the drummer him /herself lah.
Its what tone your looking for.
if you're looking for a sound like HHX legacy crash, but you don't have the cash for it...
then you've gotta work your way around it lah. like buying a dark cymbal like the Lazer 16" crash and hammering to tone.

but my thought on cymbals would all depend on the drummer lah.
if you like a certain tone, thats it.
don't just go for a cymbal like a Paiste just because people around you are going for it.
you've got to really like the sound and the way it looks, its all in the satisfaction. if you're not satisfied, don't get it.

cheers.

haha lol hammering. what he says is true.. every cymbal depends on what you like whats your preference. but you can always still ask for peoples opinions. cuz tts important too. they may see some things or hear somethings that you dun know about. yup. so basically. hear and ask..

myner said:
to me ah...
its all based on the drummer him /herself lah.
Its what tone your looking for.
if you're looking for a sound like HHX legacy crash, but you don't have the cash for it...
then you've gotta work your way around it lah. like buying a dark cymbal like the Lazer 16" crash and hammering to tone.

but my thought on cymbals would all depend on the drummer lah.
if you like a certain tone, thats it.
don't just go for a cymbal like a Paiste just because people around you are going for it.
you've got to really like the sound and the way it looks, its all in the satisfaction. if you're not satisfied, don't get it.

cheers.

the young aspiring cymbalsmith.ppl,watchout for this guy in the future,might be the founder of another S.C.S,"SIngapore Custom Shop " lol

the thing is ah...
its that most people just buy cymbals because they read on forum that its good lah...
then see people around them buy also.
but then go back home and play ah...
wah the cymbal sound like nonsense...
so its alot on how you actually want your cymbals to sound.

myner said:
the thing is ah...
its that most people just buy cymbals because they read on forum that its good lah...
then see people around them buy also.
but then go back home and play ah...
wah the cymbal sound like nonsense...
so its alot on how you actually want your cymbals to sound.

true...true..

maybe in the near future, myner, the new artisan in singapore!! haha i'd definately go for some of his stuff.. but i don't know in the near future still got copper and tin and a little dose of silver anort?? scared they run out of it..

make b20 alloy still need the metals mah...

haha. great write up dude.
anyway i've been looking for it.
does the local cymbal trojan have a website or brochure? or a shop i can get it from? they actually sound really good. go give it a try peeps.
happy drumming! :D

i really like the sabian manhattan jazz hats,very quick, light and dark. very nice chick sound on the 2n4.
i use a bosphorus 22 trad thin and man it's just an awesome cymbal. alot of wash and overtones. a very nice big dirty jazz sound, and a thick rock wash. hardly any bell on the big guy.
i like A customs for crashes, very elegant sounding. the istanbul alchemy for a more rock pop kinda sound.

nice guide u have right there abt the cymbal manufactuerers. i reckon thts a gd one for beginners to take a look at alot of help hints.

have you ever sat in front of your drumkit, and do nothing other than taking that drum stick of yours and stroking your cymbals to find that sweet spot and listen to it ring.

i could do that for hours.

cantdrumfornuts I've never sat for hours just finding that sweet spot...seconds yes...Wow.www you can really sit for hours just to find that sweetest spot on the Ride...

Tell me after that - what do you do? ... you mark it??? :lol:

Tell you a secret har drumhobbiest also like you...I think he can..but hor before he sleep he must hit the cymbal - then he goes to bed (like that sweet dreams).....and when he wakes up he also hit the cymbal (like that then he shiok) - then go to work...do you do that??

Wah RD... you remembered every word I said ah? :lol:

cantdrumfornuts... of the pair of drum sticks... one will give the ride cymbal a better sound... marked it... :wink:

yeah, i noticed that eh. of any pair of drums sticks you play on. there will be only one that feels just comfortable on the ride.

anyway, yeah i can sit for hours just experimenting with sounds on each drum or cymbal. =)

well i guess tt do not listen to ur frens comments eg. ur cymbals sound lyk sooooo............... bright/dark etc.

think abt it. who sits on e drumset? who enjoys e sound of e crash,ride, hi-hat.
it all comes down to wad u prefer. ur time spend on e set is way longer then ur frens who r close to you sitting on e set.

would u enjoy smthing tt ur frens tell u to buy when u dont lyk it?
would u eat seafood when ur alergic to it jus cos they say its tasty?

so its up to you. taste is aquired therefore taste can change too.
find wad u lyk ^_^

Back