Custom in Progress

fretless6

Just wanna share some info bout my new baby! Commissioned GIM Guitars in Malaysia to build this one. This is my second custom by them. Here's some specs.

8 String Fanned Fret
7 piece laminated flame maple/ebony neck
"2 tone" Macassar ebony fingerboard
Figured Monkeypod top/back
Maple body core with ebony laminates
Set neck construction
Custom Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups
Rosewood Knobs
Gotoh Tuners
ABM Single String bridges
Aguilar OBP 3 band preamp
26 frets
Macassar ebony control/truss rod cavity covers
Abalone dot inlays
Black hardware

Some drawings I did for them to follow, the concept is similar to that of boutique basses, rather than conventional guitar shapes.

drawing-body01.gif

drawing-head01.gif

Short trip over to KL over the weekend yielded these progress shots :)

Confirming control layout
DSC01212.JPG

DSC01213.JPG

The Body
DSC01216.JPG

DSC01231.JPG

Contours on the top
DSC01218.JPG

Monkeypod Burl for headstock veneer
DSC01228.JPG

The hardware and electronics I got em myself, and since I'm dealing with guitar parts, the prices is lower. Assuming it's bought off the market, combined with the luthier's charges, I'm looking at around S$3000+

First one was a 6 string bass.

gear02.jpg

That one was about S$2500+, pretty affordably priced considering the hardware/electronics in it. Bartolini pickups, aguilar preamp, hipshot bridge, etc...

Wohoo~ Thats some gd shit man.. Looks like something Charlie Hunter would play~!! Gd stuff~!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The bass is pretty good. Basically can't get something like this on the market in this price range. Looks much better in person than in the pic. Wide array of sounds available due to the electronics, but has a mellower growly character to it.

Pretty good for slap, it's built with 19mm spacing at bridge and a nut width even wider than a TRB. Heavy as hell though :)

Heh heh just some pics of the bass in case anyone is interested. These were taken after I did some work to it myself. Basically making a thumbrest outta an ebony chopstick (haha) and buffing down the brass bridge saddles.

DSC00332S.jpg

DSC00333S.jpg

DSC00320S.jpg

i like the headstock wood + skunk stripe running through the neck :D sweet looking..

reminds me of a crocodile :D

Back