Changing tubes on Effect Pedals (Blackstar DistX)?

more specifically Blackstar DistX. Saw some reviews that state that changing the stock Sovtek tube would improve the sound. Wanted to experiment and change it to a Tung-Sol 12AX7/ECC803-s Gold. (if it is possible). i was wondering cos i opened it up from the back and from the top grill. from the top, there is like a clip holding over top of the tube in place and i can't push it off (abit scared to use more strength cos it might bend). so do i change it from the top or from the back?

i have the same pedal n i changed the tube to tungsol 12ax7, the gold version is definately possible to be swapped in and if anything it should be better than my 12ax7 :p

The clip would not break the tube, use some force and slowly pull the clip upwards, it would make contact/stratch the side of the tube but it shouldnt break.

i suggest u open from the back of the pedal and then u unscrew the input jacks as well as stomp switch to dislodge the circuit board. u will find that the tube is being soldered onto a piece of pcb which is attached to the man pcb and it is likely to break if too much force is applied. Do support the pcb and slowly rock the tube from left to right to dislodge it from its housing and then plug the new tube in the same fashion.

If u are gentle and patient with it it is unlikely that anything would break. The tube swap should bring about quite a fair bit of improvement in the hiss levels of the pedal and improve the tone.

I cannot tell the difference between stock and the the tungsol tube as my pedal was acquired 2nd hand with a jj tube inside, the jj tube had higher gain and a wider eq sweep than the tungsol but oso had higher hiss. i prefer the tungsol as it allows me to get a fatter n warmer distortion, which i can play genres from blues all the way to metal with variations with my volume knob.

eh. I got the HT-DIST. Not sure which tube it came with, anyone tried changing that? Wonder what difference will it make.
The guy at woodworkz told me if theres nothing wrong don't change it, unless i wanna hear a difference in tone.
Hmm.

Last edited:
I think you meant tube socket, not tube.

the tube socket is being soldered onto a small piece of pcb which is then attached to the main pcb. i forgot how it is joined but it is definately possible to break the joint if too much force is applied

I have the same pedal, very good sounding IMO. But Im having issues with the noise.

anyone of you noticed any difference in the noise/hum/hiss when you replaced the JJ to Tung Sols?

Also where did you buy your Tung Sols? Thanks bros!

The stock tube in a DIST-X is a Sovtek 12AX7. Swapped it out for a Tung Sol 12AX7 Gold. Definitely notice the difference. You can get the tubes from Martin Electronics at Berlington Square. I think its at the 1st level or basement, can't quite remember... Hope this helps :)

Oh sorry, its the SOVTEKS I mean. :p

What diffs did you notice when you swapped the tubes? Im just annoyed sometimes of the hiss/hum.

Thanks Bro! :)

I would say it gives abit more mids. Better warmth to the tone. (Sorry for the lousy description... But there is a DEFINITE improvement in the tone.) I have no regrets about changing the tube. :p Hope this helped :)

I think it helps with the hum. I swapped out for a normal tungsol 12ax7( non gold pin version) and i find that there is less hum especially when pumping up the volume.

I think if u need a super quiet operation maybe you can get the tungsol 12ax7 gold pin version. The gold pins should reduce even more noise and deliver better clarity. But it also costs much more. I believe it is about 40 bucks as compared to the non gold pin version which is about 20.

I find that this pedal is very responsive to my guitar volume knob. If u are experience hum in a performance/jam u can roll off your volume knob a little and it should cut out the hum. This works for me. :D

Back