WTS: Ceriatone 1974X 18W Marshall clone

CyanideJunkie

Since my last guitar has been sold, I'm also putting my beloved amp up on the seller's block.

This is a customised, handwired, point-to-point 1x12 Ceriatone 18W TMB in cream Rolex loaded with a Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET65. For those who don't know, Ceriatone makes some of the best replicas of vintage amps out there. "Vintage" as in classic amp circuits like the 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, '59 Bassman, various Dumbles, JTM45, Silver Jubilee, and in this particular instance, the venerable 1974X.

The 18W 1974X is known for having a big character in spite of its smaller wattage. Cleans are deep and complex while pushing the gain gives you a crunch that just oozes classic and hard rock tones. The 12-inch WGS ET65 is a good upgrade over the standard Greenback-style speakers you'd find paired with this amp; lows are tighter and mids are punchier. The increased efficiency of the speaker also gives you a little more headroom if you prefer getting your dirt from pedals (which go amazingly well with this amp).

This amp came assembled and customised from local amp guru Goose. It comes with 2 independent channels - the stock 1974X one with a single tone control, and the TMB circuit with dedicated treble, mid and bass controls. It also comes with Goose's PPIMV mod, which is a master volume control that allows you to control the overall volume of your amp without affecting the tone. The real kicker is an extra switch that is not common with 18W clones. Flicking it on adds a few diodes to the circuit which increases the gain stage of the amp, making it sound closer to a JCM800 (without the shrill high end). Basically, it's like having two amps in one!

This is a full tube amp - 3 12AX7s, 2 EL84s and an EZ81 rectifier. I swapped out the stock tubes but I can't remember the exact configuration. I can tell you it's a Tung Sol 12AX7 gold pin in V1, sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3 for the phase inverter and JJ EL84s for the power tubes. I THINK V2 is a Shuguang 12AX7A and the rectifier is a Mullard, but I honestly can't be sure about that. Tubes are still secure and have plenty of life; I've seen plenty of designs which leave the amp prone to exhibiting tube rattle but this is not one of them.

This amp works equally well as a bedroom companion or a small/mid venue amplifier. 18W in a tube amp can get pretty loud if you want it to, but the MV control allows you to tame it however you wish. I've played both Les Pauls and Telecasters through this amp, so I can say with confidence that it takes both single coils and humbuckers very well. Although, I will admit that pairing it with a Les Paul will give you that quintessential hard rock tone that can't be replicated anywhere else.

I'm pricing this at $1,650 due to the amp being fairly unique and it's damn hard to find an amp of this calibre in Singapore these days. I strongly recommend securing transport beforehand if you wish to buy this amp on account of its weight. If you have any questions, feel free to reach me at nine 0 seven 0 9160 and I will answer to the best of my abilities!

Attachments

• IMAG0583~2.jpg
    IMAG0583~2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 292
  • IMAG0585~2.jpg
    IMAG0585~2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 290
Back